Grade time (Day 1)

DFWJC

Reaction score
CowboyChris;2055168 said:
C-

we shouldve took Jenkins at 22, we probably wouldve still got Jones at 28, at #61 i wouldve prefered DeJuan Morgan.

No, Jones would have gone to Tenn ahead of CJ.

FCBarca

Reaction score
C for Felix (The Mendenhall miss just feels like a big swing & miss), B for Jenkins & B for Bennett

B- overall

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
If you trust the team to properly evaluate the talent, this may well be one of the best possible outcomes.

It's true that by Goose rankings, we are doing well. What I think folks are mad about is skipping Mendenhall. The only thing that will cure that is if Jones can be a 2-3 series per game player, not just a nickel back and return man.

Mendenhall, like Devin Thomas, only had one great year. Felix Jones has consistently performed at a high level. You don't end up with the highest career YPC in a top conference by a fluke.

Just about everyone's happy with Jenkins, and the TE pick seems more like a need than a value- WR was looking pretty good at that point, and other solid TEs on the board (like Cottam).

For Day Two, to end up with an A, I'd like to see a stout DT, a promising WR, and a Tashard Choice / Thomas Brown type RB.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DFWJC;2055333 said:

So take CJ at 28, or something else.

Felix Jones is not the missing piece to the puzzle that is the Dallas Cowboys. We could have gone this draft without him.

walt_a_s

Reaction score
I fail to see a single individual on this board that is qualified to make any pick in the draft much less give out ephemeral grades that are meaningless for at least 3 years.

But what am I saying when I believe you never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

links18

Reaction score
C-/D+ at best. They took Jenkins and Jones in the wrong order and passed on Mendenhall. Very confusing. 2nd round pick may have been best on the board, so I am not terribly upset by it, but we really need a friggin' WR.........

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2055354 said:
So take CJ at 28, or something else.

Felix Jones is not the missing piece to the puzzle that is the Dallas Cowboys. We could have gone this draft without him.

we have alot of explosive playmakers on O?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Draft Grade of B-. Felix will make the doubters on the board feel better come the regular season and Jenkins was projected by most to go in the teens, so those two were an A-. The TE was a head scratcher given the Fasano trade, so that one brings the grade down a full letter.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Neither is a wide receiver reach.. We needed a complimentary back a lot more than we needed a 4th receiver to groom.

A on Jones. He might not be the best but he will be a beast on a team that utilizes him right (bush when he isn't THE guy). A+ on Jenkins. We wouldn't have got him without the trade up and he was the last of the elite corners that I saw. And honestly, with the WR run that went on in the second, I don't mind this pick. It shows we followed a draft board and didn't draft for position. So B for not reaching for need.

A- draft..

-t

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
C when it could have easily been an A if we made just the obvious choice...

Wolfpack

Reaction score
C+/B-

The 1st round picks are fine but feel bungled even though they hopefully were not.

The TE is a mystery to me when there was value at WR in the mid range of the 2nd.

I consider all this in light of JJ's comments earlier about relying on Glenns production for the year and the fact that he trades a 2nd rnd TE away earlier in the day.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Bb That's "B Flat".

1) Felix Jones was a reach at #22. Scouts, Inc., only had him rated as the 6th best RB in the draft. IIRC, Mendenhall was #2.

2) Jenkins is a good player, but he cost 3 picks, or so I've read (1st, 5th and 7th).

3) I'm warming-up to the Bennett pick, although I liked Dan Conner here.

Overall, a flat performance, with some maddening head scratchers along the way. Pure Jerry.

:banghead:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
DFWJC;2055333 said:

NO, we had no business taking a RB in the 1st round. so it doesnt matter to me if Jones wouldve slid to 28 or not, although truthfully i think he wouldve slid into the 2nd round. we couldve took Phillips at 28 instead.

LSUCowboy

Reaction score
1. Felix was the type of runner that Dallas had its eyes on all along. He is a complimentary back who is designed to share the load of carries. He's played against superior defenses in the SEC, and wasn't a fulltime back to where he was considered to be a main workhorse. And he fills the need at runningback. B+

2. For Mike to be available where we picked him up is unbelievavle. I didn't feel as though we gave up too much for him, because there is no way he was making it past San Diego. JJ made the right decision in my opinion. A.

3. Martellus is like a hybrid type of te who IMO will be very valuable in double tight end sets, and sort of alleviates the immediate need for another playmaker at wr. He and Witten alone should devastate the middle of the field. B.

Overall, B+

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LSUCowboy;2055473 said:
1. Felix was the type of runner that Dallas had its eyes on all along. He is a complimentary back who is designed to share the load of carries. He's played against superior defenses in the SEC, and wasn't a fulltime back to where he was considered to be a main workhorse. And he fills the need at runningback.
:hammer:

Somebody watches SEC football.

Tobal

Reaction score
Tenn wanted Jones, I've heard it from several people...

The NFL Network guys

Casserly, Lombard, Mayock and the other one flat out love the Jones pick... They all said it was a perfect fit for our offense.

I'm wasn't excited about it, I thought we could take a similar guy in the 2nd round. For the record I wasn't excited about Mendenhall either.

listening to the NFL crew gets me more excited. about it.

I don't like picking a TE in the 2nd, but that was a BPA pick apparently.

Love the Jenkins pick, was hoping for a WR in round 2 somewhere

tskyler

Reaction score
Felix B- I just don't see him over Mendy. I was praying to move up for Stewert instead. However, a RB was what was needed.

Our 3rd String Corner A-, I would have been happier with a move up for DRC. I think he was the best where we drafted and worth the move from 28.

Bennet B+, Value pick. Not exciting. Not a reach. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I do think we will regret his mouth.

Overall a B....