Grade time (Day 1)

Holloway805

05 & 09 Pick a Winner Champ
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2055262 said:
Very well stated and very accurate. People are *****ing about drafting a RB and a TE that will be backups. Just what WR could we have drafted at this point that wouldn't be a backup? Hell, there isn't a position in this draft that we could have realistically taken with our picks that would have produced a starter this year. We are in the enviable position of drafting for depth and for the future and we just did that. Some of you guys just don't have a clue.
You, my friend, have it figured out. People who are complaining that we drafted backups REALLY dont have a clue. Who in this draft at 22-25 could start for us? NO ONE. We are deep. We went 13-3. As far as TE goes, obviously they see something in this guy that they didnt see in Fasano.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A-.
got better than even value at each pick versus the goose top 100, filled needs and maneuvered to steal mike jenkins.

got jenkins and felix jones just before other teams would have hopped on them.

bennett was purely a value pick who was rated 15 slots higher than his draft position by goose.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
C-/D+:
1. we passed on mendehall for felix jones, what a joke.
2. the trade for jenkins was not necessary, but he was a great pick.
3. we get rid of Fasano AND ayodele for a 4th rounder and then draft a 2nd round TE . . . wasnt Fasano a 2nd round TE? stupidest trade and 2nd round pick combo ive heard.

adamknite

Reaction score
I give it a B so far, it'd be a solid A in my opinion if it wasn't for the TE in round 2.... I'm still not getting it, he's a good player...... just.... blarg.

hvgill

Reaction score
A- It amazes me how a guy that averaged over 9 yards a carry in the toughest conference in the country can be so discounted. I think a lot of people will be eating crow during the season after they see him play.

I would've liked a WR as well but their just aren't any that went in the second round that are much better graded than the ones that will go in the third and fourth. I also think we'll take care of this need through free agency or a trade next year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2056313 said:
It is easier to have a high ypc with limited touches especially in college football So I am not buying any stock in his high ypc when he was not the focal point of the offense or the defense

He had a high yards per carry for 3 straight seasons including when he was starting over Darren McFadden.

His ypc last year were higher than Reggie Bush's coming out.

He also has the 9th best kickoff return average in NCAA history without Darren McFadden back there....

People that watched Arkansas play saw how good he was.
Arkansas was a serious running team and Felix Jones was generally the HB while McFadden played all over the place. Both guys were dangerous and thats how Arkansas survived in the SEC with such a shoddy defense.

Mendenhall was a good player for ONE year, Jones was a good player for three. IF a guy is unproven it is RM.

Derinyar

Reaction score
If you wanted a starter today you wanted to try and trade to 2 or 3 to draft McFadden. Now that that statement is out of the way.

I think we had a very good day.

Felix is a pick that makes a lot of sense. He actually fits into what we want out of a back to pair with Barber. Mendenhall may end up being a better player, but I'm not sure he would be better for us during the length of a rookie contract.

Jenkins was a major bonus. Trading a 5th and a 7th to make sure we get him was a great move. There is a very small chance our 5th or 7th would have made the team.

Bennett was just a simple value pick. I don't think we traded Fasano with the idea of picking up a TE early in the draft. I think we just saw someone we thought wouldn't be there, and no player at a need position rated any where close to him and took the player.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Biggems;2056389 said:
wow that is a lot to move up 3 spots...oh well.

That is two players who probably wouldn't make it out of TC with us.

gmoney112

Reaction score
A-. lot of haters on this board. i guess you guys haven't heard of 2 TE sets. 2 huge talented TE's with hands is going to give opposing defenses fits, FITS. how do you prepare for that? WR class was weak, we got a dominant TE that gives us blocking to open up the run and a threat down the middle every down he's in the game, whats not to like? he'll make more of an impact than any WR we could have taken

i don't know why people really care so much that mendenhall wasn't taken instead, or we should have taken jenkins at 22 and chris johnson at 28(tenn. would have gotten jones with their pick)....please. this is garrett's offense, obviously he saw something he liked.

fasano and akin were traded because they sucked. thats all. bennett is twice the athlete fasano will ever be.

i say the haters that gave an F are not allowed to jump on the jones/bennett bandwagon later this season. i could honestly see either one of these guys being the player that pulls out the BIG play in the playoffs.

QT

Reaction score
B-

Still shocked over the Mendenhall thing. I was so pissed I turned off the TV and radio and when I turned it back on to hear the 28th pick, I missed the Jenkins trade. Then I calmed down and thought about it.

Still pissed.... I hope Mendenhall goes crazy on us when we play the Steelers, but of course, we pull off the win.

Still think we could have got Jenkins at #22 and Felix at #28, if Jerry chose that route. I don't understand the TE pick.

FCBarca

Reaction score
COfWaBnOY;2055773 said:
Didn't see this Thread ..... I'll put this here

#22 F Jones - I wanted MENDENHALL, threw the remote when Jones' name was called. Now some 5 or so hours after the pick, I'm warming up to it. Which ever one was picked, they were going to be used to spell MB3. However, Jones can also be use in the return game so like I said I'm warming up to it

#28 M Jenkins - I lilke this pick. BUT there is a down side to it. Jenkins should have been picked with the #22 pick. F Jones or C Johnson would have still been there at #28 to be a backup RB/KR, and we would still have the 5th (163) and 7th (235) picks.

#61 M Bennett - Ahhh....didn't we have a 2nd round TE that we traded for a 4th round pick? Don't we have a Pro-Bowl starting TE? Don't we have a starting ILB that on hit away from being an eggplant? Didn't we get our Arses handed to us when our Pro-Bowl starting WR got hurt at the end of last season? Don't we ..... all NEVERMIND!

Day one = B

Some nice points there, :thumbup:

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Solid B. Minus points for passing on a higher-rated running back, but it's not like we reached on Jones. Jenkins provided some steal factor, and Bennett was a quality best-available guy. Also hit on every need, save receiver. And the choice not to address that was basically made by the lack of talent available. Nobody worth taking in round 1, and no value in round 2.

MCowboys

Reaction score
I'd give us a C+.
-Felix Jones is ok, I'd rather have had Mendenhall, but Felix Jones may be better as a 3rd down back than Mendenhall and provides kick returns.
-I love Mike Jenkins, I really don't think he's any worse than Rodgers-Cromartie or McKelvin.
-I have no idea why we would take Bennett. Seriously, what will he contribute? I understand you take the best player available, but TE is so unneccesary in the 2nd round.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
QuanTran;2056399 said:
B-

Still shocked over the Mendenhall thing. I was so pissed I turned off the TV and radio and when I turned it back on to hear the 28th pick, I missed the Jenkins trade. Then I calmed down and thought about it.

Still pissed.... I hope Mendenhall goes crazy on us when we play the Steelers, but of course, we pull off the win.

Still think we could have got Jenkins at #22 and Felix at #28, if Jerry chose that route. I don't understand the TE pick.

I do fear we have a Steven Jackson-Julius Jones bit of a redux here. Mendenhall will go on to be a Pro Bowler, while we'll be sitting around justifying Felix Jones as the better pick because he plays a solid role here. Hope I'm wrong, though.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
MCowboys;2056412 said:
I'd give us a C+.
-Felix Jones is ok, I'd rather have had Mendenhall, but Felix Jones may be better as a 3rd down back than Mendenhall and provides kick returns.
-I love Mike Jenkins, I really don't think he's any worse than Rodgers-Cromartie or McKelvin.
-I have no idea why we would take Bennett. Seriously, what will he contribute? I understand you take the best player available, but TE is so unneccesary in the 2nd round.

Bennett's one of those wait-and-see guys. We won't know the true value until we see next year's offense.

We were sold Fasano as being able to build some unstoppable duo with Witten. That was hardly so.

We're now being sold Bennett as a dangerous red-zone threat, blocker, and potentially dynamic receiver with his basketball background. If that's true, and he provides a difficult wrinkle to defend, we'll love the pick come November. If it's December and he's yet to score in the red zone, is an adequate-at-best blocker and backing up Tony Curtis, we'll rightfully hate it.