Graham Barton or Tyler Guyton and a 3rd round pick?

Which is better value?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Is Tyler Guyton and a 3rd this year better than Graham Barton and a 7th next year?

Which would you have done?
Guyton has some bust potential and the need for solidifying the center of the OL is huge. There's a reason the OL gets bullied, the running game has sucked and the QB has 1.1 seconds to throw the ball, it's the center of the line.

chicago JK

Reaction score
It was really good value to drop down and pick up a high third. That was very shrewd playing teams off on each other. They must have had several good offers.

I will wait until what they do with the pick. If the package it with another second day pick to get a RB, my grade will not be good. If they find good value, I think I will be fine with the move down. Even if I think Barton was the safer, smarter pick.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Overshown, Jalen Tolbert, OSA, Chauncey Gholston, Nahshon Wright, Neville Gallimore, Connor McGovern, Michael Gallup, Malik Collins, Chaz Green

That's the last decade of 3rd round picks for this team. Some solid picks in there, but overall the 3rd round is not where you should be banking on filling holes and I would not call the 3rd round "premium" for that reason
Several of those picks are very solid players and several were busts. About par for the course. They may not hit on all their picks but now they have a much better chance with this trade. My biggest worry is they go RB in round two when I believe a solid RB will be available in round 3 at the expense of a good LB.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gotta go with the extra 3rd rounder - the strength of this draft is the 1st 3 rounds and then it seems to fall off. We now have 4 picks in those first 3 rounds - need make them count!

John813

Reaction score
If they use that extra 3rd to move up for Brooks, then I hate the current timeline lol.

But for now, I'm fine with the tradeback + extra 3rd.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always thought that the objective of a first round pick was to get the person who was polished enough to share from day 1
Personally, I think that's a terrible idea: I want ceiling from the draft more than I want floor. You should be able to get both in the 1st round, but I'll sacrifice some day 1 polish for more HoF upside every time.

J12B

Reaction score
I'm good with either option, honestly although I would've been happier with Barton.

Really curious how we use that extra 3rd round pick.

Proof

Reaction score
Barton is the more plug-and-play guy. But I like Guyton’s potential, and the extra third gives us options. If Guyton turns into a good OT, getting him where we did would be a steal.

Guyton and the 3rd.
barton has been a pet cat since the start of draft season, but it feels like the talking heads just became enamored with him last week. i’d have been thrilled with the trade and still landing him, but i’m still more happy with guyton and the trade than drafting barton at 24

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I would have grabbed Barton at 24 and called it a day.

He is the #1 C/interior OL vs the #7 OT so there is a quality of player disparity— and IMO— we drafted Tyler Smith to replace Tyron, so kicking him to OT is fine with me bc we find a LG in either Bass, Hoffman, or a draftee.

Yes, we don’t have much draft capital bc of the Trey Lance trade— but just bc we need more picks shouldn’t prevent you from drafting a stud when he falls in your lap.

I fear we took an inferior player that is not ready to play at the NFL level this year, for a 3rd round pick that Jerry likely uses to move up and draft a one legged RB in round 2 anyway.

Proof

Reaction score
Im being honest. Right now you think the Cowboys “won” by trading back and taking a lesser player + an additional draft pick.

The last high impact 3rd rounder the Cowboys picked was Gallup in 2018.

Mcgovern, Gallimore, Osa, Ghoulston, Nashon, Tolbert are all Jags.
this is fair, but it’s also the highest third they’ve had in 7 years

Mikexike

Reaction score
Is Tyler Guyton and a 3rd this year better than Graham Barton and a 7th next year?

Which would you have done?
At the moment I like it, But that could all change tonight depending on what they do in the 2nd and 3rd.

Mikexike

Reaction score
The 3rd rd pick is the only reason I didn't jump out my window last night. If they took guyton over barton at 24 I woulda went crazy
I was in the same boat, That 3rd is very important unless they screw that up tonight.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I feel like Guyton would have been the pick at 24 regardless. So I'd prefer him with a third round cherry on top
I don't think so, they had 4 guys there and if he was the guy they wanted then that card would of been handed in. You don't risk losing said player if he is the best 1st rd guy on your board trading back.