Graham Barton or Tyler Guyton and a 3rd round pick?

Which is better value?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I would say the more picks the better. At this point the Super Bowl for us is always the draft and no longer the game itself. More picks = more excitement / hype.

Diverdown

Reaction score
I think if we get JPJ or Frazier with our 2nd then it was an excellent maneuver. If not, then I'm not sure. Our running game has suffered without a legit center, and I felt it was the top priority for the team.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Honestly, I always lean toward more picks..

It really depends on how seriously they think Hoffman and/or Bass can fill in at Center.

They say the OL coach loves Hoffman. So if we are going to trust that statement.. then grabbing a future LT and an extra quality 3rd pick is Awesome!

Any other year.. folks would be raving about this scenario. A lot of people are convinced that Barton is “Zach Martin” type. I don’t know about that. I do know, Finding a future LT is more important than Center… exp after letting your future HOF LT walk.
We have a LT - Asim Richards.

pansophy

Reaction score
You guys are homers.
We seem to fair pretty well when we trade down and lose badly when we trade up. It all depends on whether we hit on that 3rd rounder. Two solid players is always going to be better than 1 really good player unless it's a really high impact position, and that's not center. So I'm good with it, especially since we needed a tackle as well.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't agree. Per his NFL draft profile, he has the measurables you want - size, strength, foot movement, etc. He does have some technique issues but what no. 29 pick doesn't? Even Tyron Smith didn't make the Pro Bowl until his 3rd year.

I'd put him more likely to be All Pro....
"he only earned a 59.0 PFF true pass-blocking grade.” Scout calls him a mental midget and the only real consensus is he is very athletic but needs a ton of development. What scouts noticed is he takes games off...not sure how one can't stay focused when you only have 15 career starts but we'll see.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Where does this "best center in the draft" and "plug and Play" come from with Barton?
He played 5 games at center in 2020. LT ever since. His body ype is G or C.

I am sure he is going to be a nice player, just confused as to how he is better than JPJ or Frasier at C.
I will say that if they can find a way to land JPJ round 2 I'll be extremely happy and change my tune completely on this trade, but I'm skeptical they have a chance tonight. I think hes one with a really good argument to be the best C from this class a couple years from now. I'm not nearly as high on Frazier as the other two though. Frazier to me just seems like a good not great prospect to me, he actually reminds me of Biadasz in ways. I have no doubts he can start in this league, but probably has a limited ceiling. I just dont see the higher end measurables and athletic ability that I see from the other two guys which gets him into trouble and you see him become a bit of a hugger and lunger at times.

Barton to me is fantastic working combo blocks which he will see even more of as a C, has the size/athleticism to be really good at blocking in the 2nd level, and seems to have natural short area speed and strength. Despite where most of his starts came from he just seems to have all the traits to be an NFL Center...especially in todays game. Even most of the knocks on the guy seem to be fixed by moving him inside. I know some are worried that he gets beat too often on an inside rush, but if you move him to C hes sandwiched between G and wont be setting up as deep to give an inside lane.

You're right that Barton is going to have to get up to speed at a new (sort of) position, but I have very few concerns about him making that move from a technique and physical standpoint. You watch him on film and it's really not hard to visualize him inside at C. Plus typically it's always easier moving outside in than inside out even if that transition is all the way from T to C.

I'm a huge fan of his, sorry the Cowboys couldnt land him, but I certainly hope Guyton makes me forget all about him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"he only earned a 59.0 PFF true pass-blocking grade.” Scout calls him a mental midget and the only real consensus is he is very athletic but needs a ton of development. What scouts noticed is he takes games off...not sure how one can't stay focused when you only have 15 career starts but we'll see.
Yep, I may be all wet, but how much smarts does an NFL tackle need? Quarterbacks, defensive players, centers even call plays, set alignments, etc. Tackles being at the end of the line are mostly concerned with who's directly across from them, but like you said, we'll see!

Good luck!

75boyz

Reaction score
I always thought that the objective of a first round pick was to get the person who was polished enough to share from day 1
I hear ya brother, preach this. Project or develop or needs time are stuff I don't want associated with a 1st rounder.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
OT is a premium position!
I again agree with the OP. Remember Joe Thomas? He is in the hall of fame. His Browns teams were awful. Having a bad LT is a big problem but having a great LT doesn't carry a team. At most you are taking out a single edge rusher.

IMO, having a center control the middle of the line and call out blocking schemes properly is almost as valuable.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Personally, I think that's a terrible idea: I want ceiling from the draft more than I want floor. You should be able to get both in the 1st round, but I'll sacrifice some day 1 polish for more HoF upside every time.
This only works if you think that every day 1 starter is predestined for the Hall of Fame rather than having a potential hall of fame player.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I'll take C) Not giving up a 4th for Lance.

Hope Lance turns out to be a beast Cowboy. It just doesn't make sense. Also, I'll take D) Sign your players so you're not cap strapped to be better.