Great Draft. Why?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
ANYONE who thinks they can do anymore than throw a wild arse guess out there for how well this draft is or isnt is kidding themselves. Please show me someone that was on here after Bland was drafted saying that he was gonna be a game changer.

Terrance Steele was undrafted and again, nobody was on here saying hey... that guy steele, hes gonna be a starting tackle.
Until these guys get out there and play in actual games in the NFL, we dont have a clue what we have.

starfan1

Reaction score
The offensive line is not going to be better than it was last year right away.
You may he right you may he wrong . I myself don’t believe the run blocking can be a lot worse so the arrow is pointing up

We improve at center day 1. LT is the big ?.

kskboys

Reaction score
ANYONE who thinks they can do anymore than throw a wild arse guess out there for how well this draft is or isnt is kidding themselves. Please show me someone that was on here after Bland was drafted saying that he was gonna be a game changer.

Terrance Steele was undrafted and again, nobody was on here saying hey... that guy steele, hes gonna be a starting tackle.
Until these guys get out there and play in actual games in the NFL, we dont have a clue what we have.
Absolutely not true.

All you can do in the draft is evaluate a player's skillset, instincts, mental, and toughness and see if it pans out. This year, we drafted a different type player all up and down the draft, a different type than we're used to seeing. Yes, some picks turn out that you didn't see coming, and of course the opposite is true. However, there's a smart way to draft and a dumb way. This draft appears to be us finally turning to the smart way.

Throwing out a couple of examples really doesn't go toward proving anything. And it's easy to do the opposite: Martin, Tyron, Parsons, it was obvious those guys were going to be good. And that still doesn't prove anything.

No, it's not even close to being a wild arse guess. Thinking that completely disregards all evaluations and analyzations. Silly.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Absolutely not true.

All you can do in the draft is evaluate a player's skillset, instincts, mental, and toughness and see if it pans out. This year, we drafted a different type player all up and down the draft, a different type than we're used to seeing. Yes, some picks turn out that you didn't see coming, and of course the opposite is true. However, there's a smart way to draft and a dumb way. This draft appears to be us finally turning to the smart way.

Throwing out a couple of examples really doesn't go toward proving anything. And it's easy to do the opposite: Martin, Tyron, Parsons, it was obvious those guys were going to be good. And that still doesn't prove anything.

No, it's not even close to being a wild arse guess. Thinking that completely disregards all evaluations and analyzations. Silly.
I didnt say you just put name sin a hat and pull. Cmon.....smh
What do you mean we have started drafting smart? You mean we have been drafting poorly? With tthe exception of the Chiefs, who has consistently drafted better?

Different kind of player means better player? Better results?
So all of the sudden the 2 lineman we drafted in earlier rds better than Martin and Tyron? Frederick? Because they are "Nasty?"
You do your best with analyzing a payer and you draft and then sit and pray, to say otherwise is absolutely FOOLISH.

Parsons was drafted as a damn linebacker, and he slid till when? 12th pick..... yea, those people drafting 1-11 are genus. Hell, look at the entire 1st rd of the 21 draft and tell me how many of those picks are damn solid or all pro type players and how many are busts?

rambo2

Reaction score

We have a clue. Beebe should be a good player and the others have a shot at being good.

kskboys

Reaction score
I didnt say you just put name sin a hat and pull. Cmon.....smh
What do you mean we have started drafting smart? You mean we have been drafting poorly? With tthe exception of the Chiefs, who has consistently drafted better?

Different kind of player means better player? Better results?
So all of the sudden the 2 lineman we drafted in earlier rds better than Martin and Tyron? Frederick? Because they are "Nasty?"
You do your best with analyzing a payer and you draft and then sit and pray, to say otherwise is absolutely FOOLISH.

Parsons was drafted as a damn linebacker, and he slid till when? 12th pick..... yea, those people drafting 1-11 are genus. Hell, look at the entire 1st rd of the 21 draft and tell me how many of those picks are damn solid or all pro type players and how many are busts?
We have been drafting poorly, yes. Outside the 1st round, what have we gotten? Diggs? There's one.

By drafting smartly I mean we were drafting "football players" instead of the Underoos Olympic winners. Tough, mean guys who leave it all out on the field.

You should've read the OP, I already explained this.

You have a strange way of interpreting things, BTW. Pointing to other team's busts doesn't help anything.

So, what helps? Doing a very careful analysis on what type of players you need and which positions need upgrades. Drafting is far from a crappshoot as you're claiming, but it is very difficult. It appears to me that we are now looking for the right traits. One example is taking a Kneeland type instead of a Gregory type. A Beebe type instead of an Asim type.

Are you really not aware of different types of players? And analyzing skillets? Weird.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because we drafted for toughness, we drafted football players as opposed to some dude who runs fast in his underoos.

We have needed toughness and attitude for a long long time now. Hey, who knows which players will turn out, that's all conjecture, of course.

However, here's what we do know: We just got a lot tougher and a lot meaner. And that was sorely needed. I give us an A just for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not glamorous....but very much needed.

rambo2

Reaction score
We have been drafting poorly, yes. Outside the 1st round, what have we gotten? Diggs? There's one.

By drafting smartly I mean we were drafting "football players" instead of the Underoos Olympic winners. Tough, mean guys who leave it all out on the field.

You have a strange way of interpreting things, BTW. Pointing to other team's busts doesn't help anything.

So, what helps? Doing a very careful analysis on what type of players you need and which positions need upgrades. Drafting is far from a crappshoot as you're claiming, but it is very difficult. It appears to me that we are now looking for the right traits. One example is taking a Kneeland type instead of a Gregory type. A Beebe type instead of an Asim type.

Are you really not aware of different types of players? And analyzing skillets? Weird.
They have drafted their way to three 12 win seasons in a row.

Gambit

Reaction score
Well it means with conjunction with Free Agency and drafting a some guys some analysts have said will take time to develop, and drafting no running back, it seems like they are going to let Dak playout this season instead of setting him up with a team to contend in the playoffs.
Ok. Great. But I bet the team still expects many of the draft picks to contribute this year and beyond.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Because we drafted for toughness, we drafted football players as opposed to some dude who runs fast in his underoos.

We have needed toughness and attitude for a long long time now. Hey, who knows which players will turn out, that's all conjecture, of course.

However, here's what we do know: We just got a lot tougher and a lot meaner. And that was sorely needed. I give us an A just for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We didn’t get a ****** running back when we could’ve had one.

dupree89

Reaction score

this is very true. But I believe the Cowboys drafting has been well above league average, so I tend to give the organization the benefit of the doubt, as they say. Do they miss? Of course. But I think they miss way less often than most teams. The draft is the one area where I think this front office gets it right more often than not.

Carter

Reaction score
Its better than last years stinker with a 1 Tech that cant stop the run and hasnt showed a lot in College and a blocking TE in the first two rounds but it wasnt great either.

rambo2

Reaction score
Its better than last years stinker with a 1 Tech that cant stop the run and hasnt showed a lot in College and a blocking TE in the first two rounds but it wasnt great either.
It may not be great, but it has the potential to be great.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We have a clue. Beebe should be a good player and the others have a shot at being good.
wth does that prove? He should be good? Tony Mandarich was supposed to be generational. Ryan Leif was better than Payton Manning. They were both huge busts.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

nah, im not aware. I like how easy it is for you though. Just analyze the players skills and presto.... a solid 6 year starter should be in the bag.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
this is very true. But I believe the Cowboys drafting has been well above league average, so I tend to give the organization the benefit of the doubt, as they say. Do they miss? Of course. But I think they miss way less often than most teams. The draft is the one area where I think this front office gets it right more often than not.
agree with you 100%. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for sure. Which is why I wont heap praise or criticism on any of our picks, as none of us know and can say if they are good for at least 2-3 years from now.