Great Draft. Why?

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d say good not great. Considering where we picked and the number of picks I felt the did a good job. Where and how many picks you have is a huge factor. It’s not really hard to have a great draft on paper if you pick in top 3 every round
Great job in changing the composition/attitude of this team. We might finally be getting away from those all too nice JG RKGs.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Eerily similar sentiments to last year following the draft when Bruce Feldman's top of the athletic freak list was drafted in the 1st by the Cowboys followed by the supposed Mark Bavaro blocking machine - Luke Schoonmaker.

I think it's about time for one of you to start tooting your horn for the UDFA running back that ran a 4.37, jumped 41", and broad-jumped 10'8" at his pro day (Hmm...that is impressive, though).

Maybe you guys are right, Zimmer could start No-bend Kneeland at D-End. After all , we could use 4.5 sacks from the position. Yes, I'm being a bit of a tool (I own it), but expectations should be tempered. Our top 2 will be works in progress while the tail end of the draft is traits loaded. Not hatin', just being realistic. Looking forward to 2025.

Gambit

Reaction score
I wish people would get over where a player is picked and whining about reaching. We have no idea where anyone was ranked on the Boys board
I didn't see a reach at I'm draft this year.

Marist is going to surprise a lot of people. I can't wait to watch it happen.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Dallas probably got three starters out of this draft.

Guyton LT

Beebe, this years center, future RG

Kneeland, this year rotational DE with Williams allowing Parsons to lineup anywhere. And Lawrence's future replacement.

Two starters is a good draft, if Dallas gets three it's a great class.
Depends. There are great starters, avg starters and starters who wouldn’t start for most teams.

I mean we could start all of our draft picks game one, but only how they perform will matter.

Gambit

Reaction score
Always! So many are driven by pet cats getting drafted or if the person giving the grade recognizes the name of the draft picks.

I read a review this morning where the Cowboys got a D because they didn't draft a RB. Talk about a bad review!
I read a draft grade comment on Mahomes this morning. It was funny compared to the player he is now.

Gambit

Reaction score
Looks like we drafted for the future and not 2024.
What does this even mean?

No one drafts a player for what they give them the same year, it's with the hopes they will develop and be part of the team for a long time.

Strangest phrase I've heard all weekend.

Rayman70

Reaction score
man, everyone is huffing and puffin right now . This guy is this, this guy said that..lol Lets do this, lets set the bar low, and hope for the best with all these guys we drafted. The 1 guy we drafted thats an outlier is Cooper Beebe. I think we can safely say we drafted an All Pro player . I'm confident in that. The guy is special. Zach Martin Special. The trade back we made with Detroit made our entire draft. The rest of the draft class is anyone's guess what will happen.

12+88=7

Reaction score

Depends. There are great starters, avg starters and starters who wouldn’t start for most teams.

I mean we could start all of our draft picks game one, but only how they perform will matter.
I did mean long term starters.

I would say second contract players, but Dallas let's good players walk so they don't have to pay them.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
That's not a lack of toughness, it's a lack of talent/size. Osa is simply too light in his britches to be an every down starter. Hankins was middle of the road, Mazi has been bad so far.

We do not have one topnotch starter at DT. That has nothing to do w/ toughness and everything to do w/ talent.
I agree with what you are saying, but still say there is a toughness component missing, and not ONLY at DT.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Absolutely. We're not going anywhere this year. However, this draft appears to be building toward a future.
I like this draft. Really do not have a problem with any of the picks
But to call it great is just plain unjustified until they show it on the field

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement on toughness and attitude when I see them play. We've had tough guys in the past, but when the coaching is weak, it doesn't matter how tough they are.

conner01

Reaction score
Great job in changing the composition/attitude of this team. We might finally be getting away from those all too nice JG RKGs.
I like nasty attitudes lol I think it helps bring a refuse to lose attitude. That’s one of the things I think smith brings and though he’s not a starter Bass plays with a nasty streak. Can’t have too many of those and one thing about Zimmer is he plays into that. Not a huge Zimmer fan but I do like that about him

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Absolutely. We're not going anywhere this year. However, this draft appears to be building toward a future.
100% agree. The chances of a McCarthy-led Cowboys team making a deep playoff run are miniscule at best.

rambo2

Reaction score
Dallas probably got three starters out of this draft.

Guyton LT

Beebe, this years center, future RG

Kneeland, this year rotational DE with Williams allowing Parsons to lineup anywhere. And Lawrence's future replacement.

Two starters is a good draft, if Dallas gets three it's a great class.
I think eventually more than 3 starters.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't know if Guyton fits the "great football player" mold. He was pretty up and down and used his athleticism to overcome poor technique.

The other guys though... they're ballers. They are wired right.

Kneeland's a brawler. Beebe was a team captain and academic All-American, plus he just buries DTs into the turf. Through-the-whistle kind of guy. Liafau is a hustler at LB and aced his whiteboard interview with Zimmer... he may be green dot material.

To use a Garrett-ism, they are the right kind of guys. I'd update the coaching reference and pay them an higher complement... they're exactly the type of players that Dan Campbell would draft.

starfan1

Reaction score
Looks like we drafted for the future and not 2024. It will be interesting to see how Dak does without a running game. This is the first season we can compare him to some of Romo's seasons where the team had some major holes. Nothing compare to the 2008 draft where Jerrah decided to draft a bunch of backups, but I don't see this offensive line being better right away, and Zeke at this point as the #1, well lets seem if this will be another "MVP" seasons.
Didn’t have much of a running game last year either and he was 2nd in mvp vote

The problem lies in playoffs that’s where no running game and inability to stop the run comes home to roost

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
What does this even mean?

No one drafts a player for what they give them the same year, it's with the hopes they will develop and be part of the team for a long time.

Strangest phrase I've heard all weekend.
Well it means with conjunction with Free Agency and drafting a some guys some analysts have said will take time to develop, and drafting no running back, it seems like they are going to let Dak playout this season instead of setting him up with a team to contend in the playoffs.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Didn’t have much of a running game last year either and he was 2nd in mvp vote

The problem lies in playoffs that’s where no running game and inability to stop the run comes home to roost
The offensive line is not going to be better than it was last year right away.