Great example of Market Price for NFL QB’s

GINeric

Reaction score
Obviously, salary doesnt equate to the best. The only ones I would definitely take right now over Dak are Mahomes and probably Allen. Hurts maybe, but I want to see him put up at least a second good year. Herbert I just don't get. Yes...big arm. But that isn't all that matters. Jackson is a great running back and a mediocre passer. Tries to do too much on his own. Wilson hasn't been very good the last couple of years.

JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf had big arms too.....

Hadenough

Reaction score
Looks like the Cowboys are gonna have to pony up an awful lot of money to keep Dak.
This ain't about winning, it's about putting people in the stands.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank this man for destroying the QB market bamboozling our goofball GM to give an average talent a top-dollar contract.
It set the bar and every agent used it to increase their payday for their more talented clients from Rodgers to that little midget in Arizona.

Todd-France.jpeg

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Russell Wilson should be a cautionary tale. I imagine Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, and Lamar Jackson will become cautionary tales (Murray might already be one). Watson is an outlier who got paid because Cleveland is so desperate.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The agents and QBs have the NFL trapped.
The next starting QB up for a new deal shouldn't automatically reset the market every time.
It’s lunacy
Should make the owners realize they need to develop offensive coordinators rather that spend 50 million a year on QB's - just look at San Fran and what they are doing with guys like Purdy and Garrapolo

Swagger

Reaction score
QB is the position that good enough gets great money because what are the options for the owner?

Want to let Cousins walk and be searching for a QB ever since or pay him the market rate for a QB1?

Several teams took risks in this last draft with QB's and most will be right back in the QB pool within two seasons.

With Herbert, you can't point to accomplishments without regarding the most yards and TD's in his first 3 seasons, only surpassed by Marino, who never won anything but was always among the highest paid.
Cousins is the classic example. It has been shown that a team, as he has played with some strong rosters, cannot win a Superbowl with him unless he's carried to a ring in which case most starting QBs in the NFL would do the same. I.e., you do not pay a QB like Cousins. Washington made bad decisions in terms of his replacement but that's on them.

People don't want to hear it but Prescott is in essence a very similar QB to Cousins.

It comes down to fans being happy of reaching the play offs but not being able to progress further due to limitations at QB or whether they prefer to take a chance and move on striving for a Superbowl appearance. The latter served the Chiefs (Mahomes for Smith), Rams (Stafford for Goff) and Eagles (Hurts for Wentz) very well. Conversely, Washington have fallen flat on their face since they moved on from Cousins.

It's a risk reward scenario and it would appear the Cowboys front office is content in just making the play offs given they haven't moved on from Prescott.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Should make the owners realize they need to develop offensive coordinators rather that spend 50 million a year on QB's - just look at San Fran and what they are doing with guys like Purdy and Garrapolo
An argument could be made that Jimmy G is a Franchise QB. Purdy still needs a full season to see . It helps having a top defense.

But Jimmy G having gone to a Super Bowl is definitely top 15 caliber which could arguably be defined as Franchise.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cousins is the classic example. It has been shown that a team, as he has played with some strong rosters, cannot win a Superbowl with him unless he's carried to a ring in which case most starting QBs in the NFL would do the same. I.e., you do not pay a QB like Cousins. Washington made bad decisions in terms of his replacement but that's on them.

People don't want to hear it but Prescott is in essence a very similar QB to Cousins.

It comes down to fans being happy of reaching the play offs but not being able to progress further due to limitations at QB or whether they prefer to take a chance and move on striving for a Superbowl appearance. The latter served the Chiefs (Mahomes for Smith), Rams (Stafford for Goff) and Eagles (Hurts for Wentz) very well. Conversely, Washington have fallen flat on their face since they moved on from Cousins.

It's a risk reward scenario and it would appear the Cowboys front office is content in just making the play offs given they haven't moved on from Prescott.
But this falls back on the criteria of what a Franchise QB is. To fans it’s SB caliber.

To teams it’s a consistent playoff caliber which can be built around to possibly become SB caliber team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All NFL teams are content in just making the playoffs. That’s the initial goal which attracts fans interest and generates revenue providing hope for more success.

And why teams are more than happy to sign less than Elite QB’s to Market Price deals . Because it provides them a QB to build around.

In the NFL this era there are two types of teams. One with a Franchise QB to build around and one’s looking for a Franchise QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboy fans should count their blessings despite our frustrations and disappointments in playoffs this era.

At least we have a competitive consistent playoff contender. Which places us in one of the “have “ instead of have nots of Franchise QB’s.

Would we rather have an Elite Qb? Of course but there’s only a handful at best at any given time to go around. Most teams are grateful to have a top 10-15 caliber Franchise QB who provides them a playoff contender to build around which could culminate into a championship caliber season at some point. Some hope is better than none.

This is all teams need to remain interesting and relative spurring fans support generating revenue . That’s the immediate goal of every team. Anything else is just gravy. A competitive playoff contender with at least an average Franchise QB keeps the heat off of owners to make more changes. And why they’re more than willing to over pay average Franchise QB’s.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy fans should count their blessings despite our frustrations and disappointments in playoffs this era.

At least we have a competitive consistent playoff contender. Which places us in one of the “have “ instead of have nots of Franchise QB’s.
I'll admit it sure beats repeating 5-11 seasons.

aikemirv

Reaction score
An argument could be made that Jimmy G is a Franchise QB. Purdy still needs a full season to see . It helps having a top defense.

But Jimmy G having gone to a Super Bowl is definitely top 15 caliber which could arguably be defined as Franchise.
I think everybody views Jimmy as a part of the team, not the franchise. He is in the Joe Flacco mold of Super Bowl Qb's

kskboys

Reaction score
I think everybody views Jimmy as a part of the team, not the franchise. He is in the Joe Flacco mold of Super Bowl Qb's
Flacco is more of a franchise QB than Jimmy G. A franchise QB absolutely cannot be injured all the time.

kskboys

Reaction score

Not definitely, it is debatable.

Having gone to a Super Bowl does not mean a QB is franchise caliber. What defines a franchise caliber QB mostly is the ability to consistently move the ball.

QBs who have gone to a super bowl that were/are not franchise QBs: Nick Foles, Rex Grossman, Kapernick, Trent Dilfer.

So, I'm going to have to label that a very poor definition. And there were many franchise type QBs who didn't go to super bowls. Fouts comes to mind.

kskboys

Reaction score
The real debate is whether a shorter career QB can be considered a franchise QB. Cam Newton, for example. That is the real problem w/ athletes playing QB. You know how RBs don't last? Same thing w/ running QBs. If their game is built on running, they last about as long as RBs. So, if a QB is only good for 3-5 years, I would conclude that he is not a franchise type QB. I vote no on Newton.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not definitely, it is debatable.

Having gone to a Super Bowl does not mean a QB is franchise caliber. What defines a franchise caliber QB mostly is the ability to consistently move the ball.

QBs who have gone to a super bowl that were/are not franchise QBs: Nick Foles, Rex Grossman, Kapernick, Trent Dilfer.

So, I'm going to have to label that a very poor definition. And there were many franchise type QBs who didn't go to super bowls. Fouts comes to mind.
You’re right. I didn’t mean to say going to a SB defined him as a Franchise QB. That was just for those fans who think it’s all about being a SB QB. I think he’s a Franchise QB regardless if he did or not.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it’s arguable that Flacco was a Franchise QB. Definitely would have fit into the top 15 type caliber in his prime.