Great example of Market Price for NFL QB’s

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think it’s arguable that Flacco was a Franchise QB. Definitely would have fit into the top 15 type caliber in his prime.
He never passed for over 30 td's in a season and only twice had a QB rating over 90, never over 95. He was a good bus driver and nothing more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He never passed for over 30 td's in a season and only twice had a QB rating over 90, never over 95. He was a good bus driver and nothing more.
You’re entitled to your opinion of course . Flacco as I stated was “arguably” a Franchise QB in his prime .

He definitely elevated his game during playoffs while benefitting from stout defenses and running games. Much like Eli, another Franchise QB.

Im not sure all fans agree on definition of a Franchise QB which is my purpose here.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If you look at NFL career earnings for a QB:
1Aaron Rodgers$365.1 million
2Tom Brady$333 million
3Matthew Stafford$328.3 million
4Matt Ryan$320.9 million
5Drew Brees$269.7 million
6Ben Roethlisberger$267.3 million
7Russell Wilson$266.4 million
8Eli Manning$252.3 million
9Peyton Manning$248.7 million
10Philip Rivers$243.9 million
Others ahead of Dak’s career earnings include Cousins, Flacco, Palmer, Tanneyhill, D Carr.
Bradford, Cutler, and Wentz are less than 2 million behind Dak.

Career earnings for a RB has Adrian Peterson at #1 and Zeke #2.

aikemirv

Reaction score
And was generally considered a top 10 QB during his career.
You’re entitled to your opinion of course . Flacco as I stated was “arguably” a Franchise QB in his prime .

He definitely elevated his game during playoffs while benefitting from stout defenses and running games. Much like Eli, another Franchise QB.

Im not sure all fans agree on definition of a Franchise QB which is my purpose here.
From 2008 to 2016 the guy was in the top 10 in passer ratings 1 year (#8)-top 15 2 other times - a lot of times not even in the top 20. Without the Baltimore defense I don't even know if this guy has a starting job most of his career. He was a Jag bus driver! He was not considered a top 10 guy. He had the benefit of a great defense!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From 2008 to 2016 the guy was in the top 10 in passer ratings 1 year (#8)-top 15 2 other times - a lot of times not even in the top 20. Without the Baltimore defense I don't even know if this guy has a starting job most of his career. He was a Jag bus driver! He was not considered a top 10 guy. He had the benefit of a great defense!
However you want to describe him he was a Franchise QB , which isn’t necessarily Top 10 caliber, and paid accordingly as he was enough to invest in long term ending their search for a QB which in itself can fit the broader definition of a Franchise QB.

And no one is disputing the Ravens success revolves around their Elite defense and strong running game. But he was enough for Ravens to invest in with a Franchise QB caliber contract.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here’s a list of current starting NFL QB’s.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-starting-quarterbacks/

And I’d present this is arguably the list of teams currently without a Franchise QB’s which is a shorter list .
Atl, Car, Chi, GB, SF,Sea, TB, Wash , Pitts, NE, Indy and Hou.

That means 20 of 32 currently have Franchise caliber QB’s. There’s prob a few we could argue but most of these teams appear to have their QB of the future and will invest long term.

And I’d argue Car, Chi, GB, Pitt , SF and Hou have potentially drafted QB’s who could become Franchise QB . Yet to be seen if they can do enough to receive that second extended contract yet solidifying their long term investment.

At any given time probably about half or a little more than half of the teams have a Franchise QB in place under long term contracts.

And why I’ve defined the NFL as basically two groups. One who have invested in their Franchise QB long term and ones who are searching for a Franchise QB . Some of these searching may have drafted their future FQB?

Franchise QB isn’t necessarily defined as Elite or even top 10 or 15. But a QB a team is willing to invest long term on who they believe is enough to build a playoff contender around.
@aikemirv

kskboys

Reaction score
They cannot do that, the NFLPA and agents wouldn’t allow it.

The QB’s are leading the charge up the salary ladder with every position following.
IDK about that. Thing is, the more it costs for QBs, the less other players are going to make. Surely at some point that will become just too glaring.

kskboys

Reaction score
Here’s a list of current starting NFL QB’s.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-starting-quarterbacks/

And I’d present this is arguably the list of teams currently without a Franchise QB’s which is a shorter list .
Atl, Car, Chi, GB, SF,Sea, TB, Wash , Pitts, NE, Indy and Hou.

That means 20 of 32 currently have Franchise caliber QB’s. There’s prob a few we could argue but most of these teams appear to have their QB of the future and will invest long term.

And I’d argue Car, Chi, GB, Pitt , SF and Hou have potentially drafted QB’s who could become Franchise QB . Yet to be seen if they can do enough to receive that second extended contract yet solidifying their long term investment.

At any given time probably about half or a little more than half of the teams have a Franchise QB in place under long term contracts.

And why I’ve defined the NFL as basically two groups. One who have invested in their Franchise QB long term and ones who are searching for a Franchise QB . Some of these searching may have drafted their future FQB?

Franchise QB isn’t necessarily defined as Elite or even top 10 or 15. But a QB a team is willing to invest long term on who they believe is enough to build a playoff contender around.
@aikemirv
No way. 20 of 32 do not have franchise QBs. Offhand, I'd say the number is around 10-15.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, he was considered around the top 10 for most of his career.

Their O was built around the running game, which easily explains why his passer rating was lower, same as Aikman. That type of O does not give those QBs all those easy little passes to inflate their passer rating.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No way. 20 of 32 do not have franchise QBs. Offhand, I'd say the number is around 10-15.
Take a look and tell me which ones of the teams I didn’t list don’t have arguably a Franchise QB. There’s more teams with one now that there usually is . I was surprised too once I went thru each team.

I counted 11 in AFC alone. Another arguably 7 or 8 in NFC. Ok. Maybe only 18 or 19. They all have second long term contracts.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cousins is the classic example. It has been shown that a team, as he has played with some strong rosters, cannot win a Superbowl with him unless he's carried to a ring in which case most starting QBs in the NFL would do the same. I.e., you do not pay a QB like Cousins. Washington made bad decisions in terms of his replacement but that's on them.

People don't want to hear it but Prescott is in essence a very similar QB to Cousins.

It comes down to fans being happy of reaching the play offs but not being able to progress further due to limitations at QB or whether they prefer to take a chance and move on striving for a Superbowl appearance. The latter served the Chiefs (Mahomes for Smith), Rams (Stafford for Goff) and Eagles (Hurts for Wentz) very well. Conversely, Washington have fallen flat on their face since they moved on from Cousins.

It's a risk reward scenario and it would appear the Cowboys front office is content in just making the play offs given they haven't moved on from Prescott.
by that token, right now there are only 3 QBs in the league that have won superbowls. two are older in Rodgers and Wilson and their last hurrah and hope to get a ring. Rodgers is doing what Brady did, going to a stacked team, with the defense, OL, WRs, and probably Cook joining them and missing a QB hoping to do what Brady did with Tampa.

there are the rest like Goff, Hurts, Grapolo who went to the superbowl who needed strong strong supportive cast to get there. Burrows is the exception as he is Elite and the team just missing couple of pieces.

so you can't just say, Quit, don't do anything, and lets just have a 3 way round robin competition and decide who is the champion. you build a team around what you have, hope you built the right team ala Rams did around Goff, Niners around Grapolo and Eagles around Hurts and you make an appearance and ala Philly doing it with Foles, you win it all.

no fans are happy just for playoff appearance. every fan wants their team to win the superbowl. almost every team outside of 3 is limited in some way at QB position.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That seems like the reasonable solution. As matter of fact they could Cap all positions with set percentages .
I am not sure if that would sell to all the players.....QBs will be ok, perhaps, they get the lions share, but all other positions would oppose simply because it makes the pie much smaller for them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think don meredith would have played longer if he was offered 50 mil a year !
These guys today make way too much money, but they are in at the right time so they get ridiculous amounts of money.
It is a insane world , and these owners buy these players like toys, and it only pays off occasionally.

Denver signing a older wilson for 49 mil was just plain stupid. Watson was stupid, lamar was stupid,murray was stupid ( a lot of stupid owners lol) but thats ok
when your a billionaire !
It is easy to make playoffs now days, 7 teams from a 16 team conf make the playoffs each year, div winners with weak div may have a losing record,
which is outdated and should be changed.

Teams that can win in div round or the champ round are the true contenders.

QB's are affected by the coaches they have and the players around them, and in our case the GM, so it is hard to evaluate them fairly.

kskboys

Reaction score
Take a look and tell me which ones of the teams I didn’t list don’t have arguably a Franchise QB. There’s more teams with one now that there usually is . I was surprised too once I went thru each team.

I counted 11 in AFC alone. Another arguably 7 or 8 in NFC. Ok. Maybe only 18 or 19. They all have second long term contracts.
Different definition, I think. The term is a grey one to begin w/.

However, to me a franchise QB has proven that he can move the ball consistently, that he can stay on the field, is at least a decent leader, and can lead the team to victory w/ mediocre talent.

Murray and JimmyG are not. Can't stay on field. Same w/ Tua. Fields is not. Can't move ball. Geno Smith has to do it way longer than one season to be called that. Don't think Wilson is any more. Daniel Jones is not, even though they paid him as one. Tannehil is not. Lamar is highly questionable. To be called a franchise QB, he has to keep doing what he's doing in the running game. Don't believe he can, and don't think he has long left before injuries just start to pile up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Different definition, I think. The term is a grey one to begin w/.

However, to me a franchise QB has proven that he can move the ball consistently, that he can stay on the field, is at least a decent leader, and can lead the team to victory w/ mediocre talent.

Murray and JimmyG are not. Can't stay on field. Same w/ Tua. Fields is not. Can't move ball. Geno Smith has to do it way longer than one season to be called that. Don't think Wilson is any more. Daniel Jones is not, even though they paid him as one. Tannehil is not. Lamar is highly questionable. To be called a franchise QB, he has to keep doing what he's doing in the running game. Don't believe he can, and don't think he has long left before injuries just start to pile up.
I hear ya K but my definition is attempting to take the subjective opinion out. If a team believes their QB is enough to build around to offer a long term contract at Market Price they become a Franchise QB.