Twitter: Great play by Wilson

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wentz is a mess, but it wouldn't shock me if he turns it around in Indy.

That defense is legit.....and with some actual blocking Wentz just may be able to drive the bus.

They are a team no one is paying attention to but should.

I am. They’re my pick to win that division.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
One is that we always like to "grade" the Cowboys based on opponent quality - you can't play QB any worse than this. The other is that if you're dependent on the offense making a mistake to capitalize, then it's hard to call you a great player. It's basically my stance on safeties overall - that play doesn't exist without a huge failure from the quarterback.

I agree with your take, but often players need to play their assignments correctly and put themselves in a good place for a positive outcome.

99 times out of 100 the QB either tosses the ball away or takes a sack without being stripped. But Wilson made a great decision to force Wentz to do something, he closed the gap like a banshee and Wentz imploded with poor decision making and poor ball security.

None of the Wentz errors would have amounted to anything if Wilson hadn't relaized the situation and made a great athletic play.

Kudos to Wilson and jeers to Wentz.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is like the...25th best WR corps in the league and that might be generous. They do have the run game, but running doesn't really get you anywhere. The whole control the clock, play defense thing just doesn't work with any consistency in the NFL. The Bills playoff game last year is a perfect representation of that.
Colts made the playoffs...I'm no debating if its a Super Bowl winning offense....

I'm saying they have good tight ends, very good running game and good receivers. There's no excuses for him. This is the best offense for him.

And if you'd rank that group 25th....that's because you don't project Pittman and Campbell can't get better. I was really impressed with Pittman his rookie season.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

For those of you who say this guy is a boarder line stater I feel sorry for you. You don’t watch the games and you don’t have any clue about this guys closing burst. All he has done is make plays when he’s played pre season or regular this guys a playmaker

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
For those of you who say this guy is a boarder line stater I feel sorry for you. You don’t watch the games and you don’t have any clue about this guys closing burst. All he has done is make plays when he’s played pre season or regular this guys a playmaker
Some of our fans will take any opportunity they can to crap on Cowboys players.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Colts made the playoffs...I'm no debating if its a Super Bowl winning offense....

I'm saying they have good tight ends, very good running game and good receivers. There's no excuses for him. This is the best offense for him.

And if you'd rank that group 25th....that's because you don't project Pittman and Campbell can't get better. I was really impressed with Pittman his rookie season.
I like Pittman and Campbell but Pittman would have to make a huge jump to be anything resembling a #1. This receiving corps is probably comparable to the Texans. I don't know what you like about Doyle and Alie-Cox, they're good blockers but nothing special at receiver.

If you take TY, Pittman and Campbell as your top 3, 25th I think is generous. In the NFC, the only teams they'd be better than are, Detroit, Chicago, WFT and maybe Philly, and in the AFC it's like Houston, Jax, NYJ, NE. Those groups are all pretty pathetic, but I don't think they're all worse than Indy. So call them 24th if you want lol, but it's still a pretty poor group.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Hence the need to spend $500K and change numbers. If he gets a haircut, no one will ever know who that #54 was. Not me. I don’t have long hair. Plenty of people named Smith.
After a couple of plays everyone will know #9 is the old 54 , LOL !

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's exactly what good quarterbacks do - throw the ball away.

And attacking QB's instead of laying back is what a good defense should do. It actually is possible for a defense to make a good play and the QB to make a bad decision. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

And yes, good QB's do make good decisions most of the time, but of course they are not immune from mistakes, and this comment doesn't change in the least the fact a QB, even a good QB, is more likely to make a mistake when the defense does a good job defending him and/or defending the play.

Besides, even if Wentz had thrown it away it was still a good play for the defense because the Eagles would have used a down without gaining any yards. And even if he had tucked the ball away so he didn't fumble it still would have been a good play for the defense because they would have used a down and lost yardage. There is nothing that Wentz could have done to make a positive play for his team, so the defense actually did do a good job.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
And attacking QB's instead of laying back is what a good defense should do. It actually is possible for a defense to make a good play and the QB to make a bad decision. Those things are not mutually exclusive.
No they are not exclusive, but there is not necessarily cause and effect. Donovan Wilson did not make Wentz decide to not throw the ball away.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I assume this post was in jest .....

But if not, if not, go back and watch the clip all the way through. That was a TE (Dallas Goedart) - and he was an eligible receiver. Immediately after Goedart pushed Smith he turned to Wentz to look for a throw. Accordingly, Goedart pushed off illegally because Wentz still had the ball in has hands looking to throw when Goedart initiated the contact. Had Smith initiated the contact it would have been a penalty on Smith, and Wilson's play would have been wiped out, and the penalty would have given the Eagles a first down.
I agree. But DG saw Wentz running so he started blocking. Wentz never crossed the LOS. So I guess you could call that OPI. But you will never get that call and 54 should not get decleated on a hand check. If Wentz runs 1 yard behind the LOS horizontally across the whole field and a WR throws a block, is it OPI?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What the heck he was doing half speed , he was not covering neither attacking QB ? sigh !!
He actually was covering. It was Dallas Goedart that hit him while running a route. Goedert was an eligible receiver.

If you watch, Jaylon was starting to come up to help in case Wentz ran, but then Goedart released late from the line of scrimmage to provide a target for Wentz, and Jaylon veered to go with Goedert. Watch Goedert immediately after pushing Jaylon - he turns to look for the ball. Had WEntz then thrown the ball to Goedert then Goedert would (or should) have been flagged for pushing off. Jaylon, on the other hand, couldn't couldn't have initiated contact on Goedert without it being a penalty.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. But DG saw Wentz running so he started blocking. Wentz never crossed the LOS. So I guess you could call that OPI. But you will never get that call and 54 should not get decleated on a hand check. If Wentz runs 1 yard behind the LOS horizontally across the whole field and a WR throws a block, is it OPI?
Watch Goedert - after pushing Jaylon he immediately turned toward Wentz to look for a throw. He knew he was an eligible receiver.

But it wouldn't matter even if Goedert thought of himself as a blocker, because it wouldn't change the fact he was an eligible receiver, and had to be treated by the defense as such.

And as such, Jaylon could not hit him without it being a penalty. Any defender in that situation could be easily knocked down because they aren't able to deliver a hit, and because they aren't expecting an eligible receiver to go after them they aren't braced for an impact.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like Pittman and Campbell but Pittman would have to make a huge jump to be anything resembling a #1. This receiving corps is probably comparable to the Texans. I don't know what you like about Doyle and Alie-Cox, they're good blockers but nothing special at receiver.

If you take TY, Pittman and Campbell as your top 3, 25th I think is generous. In the NFC, the only teams they'd be better than are, Detroit, Chicago, WFT and maybe Philly, and in the AFC it's like Houston, Jax, NYJ, NE. Those groups are all pretty pathetic, but I don't think they're all worse than Indy. So call them 24th if you want lol, but it's still a pretty poor group.
I mean I really don't care about "rankings" lol. Do I have good receivers who don't drop the football and catch? That's all I need. Rankings aren't based on actual skill its based on how they produce with their quarterback....nobody cared last year that the Mavs had a top receiving group when they had Dalton and Dinucci throwing to them. If Wentz is on his game and plays like he did in 2017 then the "rankings" will be better. But when I watched the Colts last year I liked what I saw. Not the most exciting offense and they aren't going to put up a bunch of fantasy points but I saw Pittman make some big plays and Hilton was the security blanket.

Pittman and Hilton are much better than anything he's had in Philly in awhile.