Greatest Album of All Time

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I couldn't narrow it down to one, too many to choose from depending on my mood. My friends and I used to play a version of the radio show Desert Island Discs and decide if stranded on an island and could pick any 8 albums, which would you take? We also did not allow "greatest hits" albums, but did allow "Live" albums.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, really hard to narrow it down to one but, if the definition is ".. If you're alone on an island", I would probably go with Rumors.

If I could expand it a bit: Born in the USA by Springsteen, the Beatles White album, Who's Next by the Who, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, Graceland by Paul Simon and, drum roll... The Four Great Tenors.
That would have been my wife's selection as well and Graceland would have been her fall back with Hotel California really ties with that. And nice pick on the Tenors, also among her favorites. Hell, she might have picked you over me to be on that deserted island with her.

And thank you for being polite and asking if you could expand it a bit. Not like some people.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I couldn't narrow it down to one, too many to choose from depending on my mood. My friends and I used to play a version of the radio show Desert Island Discs and decide if stranded on an island and could pick any 8 albums, which would you take? We also did not allow "greatest hits" albums, but did allow "Live" albums.
8 Albums including live stuff sounds interesting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't pick one without feeling like I'm disrespecting so many other worthy candidates but if the gun was at my head I would agree with Dark Side of the Moon.
No gun to your head but if there was, you'd be picking Physical Graffiti cuz I'd be holding the gun.

mldardy

Reaction score
Well let me be the first to post something different: Nas - Illmatic followed closely by Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We used to play that with individual songs, albums, movies and most fun was Only 3 Women. This was a blast with a bunch of horny guys drinking and picking their top 3 to take to the island. Drunk horny guys are fickle and will change out one for another in heartbeat at a mere suggestion.

I am not aware if girls played these games and not really sure if I ever wanted to know. My awakening was listening to just how potty mouthed and raunchy they can get with just women around, That's why I think they always have to go in at least pairs to the ladies room. They can stand, just so long not getting all raunchy with their sisters.

jsb357

Reaction score
One album on a desert
OK, let me make this easier. You are going to spend the rest of your life on a deserted island with one album, what is it?

If I can't trade the one album for an acoustic guitar and 100 packs of strings then...

Are you Experienced?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing you have to consider with only one on the island, don't you think you might get tired with the same overall feel to an album like Dark Side? It was on the charts for so long because it was considered one of the top "mood" albums for stoners ever created. I didn't mention whether you had some mood altering substance along for the trip but getting the munchies on a deserted island is not my idea of a party.

The problem with Dark Side was I went though too many albums. You get lit in a dark room with that and every crack, pop and surface hiss sounds like a foghorn. When that came out on CD, that was an immediate purchase.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One album on a desert

If I can't trade the one album for an acoustic guitar and 100 packs of strings then...

Are you Experienced?
Yes, in most things and too much in others but what album do you want?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't pick one without feeling like I'm disrespecting so many other worthy candidates but if the gun was at my head I would agree with Dark Side of the Moon.
What are the other worthy candidates? I want to tell them how you disrespected them.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, let me make this easier. You are going to spend the rest of your life on a deserted island with one album, what is it?

What difference does it make...I have no electricity to play the cd or mp3. :D

However if one can cheat...

Probably one of the following

led zep box set.
Iron Maiden Eddie's box set
and since I am on an island and need that island vibe...Bob Marley Songs of freedom box set

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

led zep box set.
and since I am on an island and need that island vibe...Bob Marley Songs of freedom box set
OK, you get the Cheater's Award and nicely played.

And depending on what you picked, I decide whether you got electricity but just enough to run your CD player and speakers, no blender or vibrator.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Perhaps not greatest of all time, but very influential album for me.

Van_Halen_album.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps not greatest of all time, but very influential album for me.

Van_Halen_album.jpg
Not about the GOAT but your GOAT and that's a fine pick, they stretched straight ahead hard rock's life for years until Grunge came on the scene. That's when I left rock in search of something else, it never connected with me.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not going to bash others for their favorites. If you like a band you like them.
Only stating my opinion on a few...again...if you like them than that is ok and you don't have to take any stock into my opinion at all.

Never understood the love of The Clash...just never got it. Couple of OK songs IMO and that was about it. I never seemed to view them as punk at all either but that is just me...again if you like them you like them.

The eagles - I like a few of their songs but as far as being a rock band...always seemed a little too country or soft rock to me. Love life in the fast lane as it was one of the ones they really rocked on. Oddly enough...Love Joe Walsh more in other bands or on his own.

I used to tell people...Choice between Steve Miller band and The Eagles...give me Steve Miller band every time.
Same for Lynrd Skynrd - I know they will always be considered the best Southern Fried Rock band...but I will take The Allman Brothers Band over Skynrd every time.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score

led zep box set.
Good call on Bob Marley.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not going to bash others for their favorites. If you like a band you like them.
Only stating my opinion on a few...again...if you like them than that is ok and you don't have to take any stock into my opinion at all.

Never understood the love of The Clash...just never got it. Couple of OK songs IMO and that was about it. I never seemed to view them as punk at all either but that is just me...again if you like them you like them.

The eagles - I like a few of their songs but as far as being a rock band...always seemed a little too country or soft rock to me. Love life in the fast lane as it was one of the ones they really rocked on. Oddly enough...Love Joe Walsh more in other bands or on his own.

I used to tell people...Choice between Steve Miller band and The Eagles...give me Steve Miller band every time.
Same for Lynrd Skynrd - I know they will always be considered the best Southern Fried Rock band...but I will take The Allman Brothers Band over Skynrd every time.
Agree on the Allmans and I would take Live at Fillmore East to the island as my live album. But I do give Skynyrd credit for taking Southern Rock out of the jam band into the mainstream. But they never captured the essence of white boy blues and blue eyed soul music like the Allmans.