Greatest Album of All Time

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Agree on the Allmans and I would take Live at Fillmore East to the island as my live album. But I do give Skynyrd credit for taking Southern Rock out of the jam band into the mainstream. But they never captured the essence of white boy blues and blue eyed soul music like the Allmans.
The Allman Bros. Live at Fillmore East is a tremendous cut.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Allman Bros. Live at Fillmore East is a tremendous cut.
When I hear In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, I can see the blue smoke rising around that Hammond B3, it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Funny how some music can trigger our other senses. I spent so much time in college hanging out at the Pizza Hut, because they didn't card, and drinking pitchers of beer with my fellow criminals that whenever I hear the two songs played every 20 minutes on the jukebox, Mitchell and Norwegian Wood, I smell Parmesan, to this day.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Allman Brothers Eat A Peach
Santana Abraxas
King Crimson....In The Court Of The Crimson King......especially after hanging out at Trinity Park for a few hours.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zep IV, Kind of Blue. Probably should put a hat tip in there for Rumors, even though it's not my cup of tea. It was influential enough.

Appetite for Destruction is on my personal list. I don't have many albums I can listen too cover to cover and not think there's an uneven song on it, but that's one.
Agree with Appetite for Destruction. It's one of those albums without a bad song, like Dark Side of the Moon or Aerosmith's first. (Yeah, Dream On was played to death, but it's a great song.

Plankton

Reaction score
Miles Davis - *****es Brew

Redefined jazz music for 20 years, and shaped the career of a number of prominent artists/groups. Spawned Weather Report, The Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I love every song on Appetite too, but there are a ton of songs on that album, I would prefer not to hear again for many years. Many of those were WAY WAY WAY overplayed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One thing you have to consider with only one on the island, don't you think you might get tired with the same overall feel to an album like Dark Side? It was on the charts for so long because it was considered one of the top "mood" albums for stoners ever created. I didn't mention whether you had some mood altering substance along for the trip but getting the munchies on a deserted island is not my idea of a party.

The problem with Dark Side was I went though too many albums. You get lit in a dark room with that and every crack, pop and surface hiss sounds like a foghorn. When that came out on CD, that was an immediate purchase.
Dark Side through headphones, in the dark........Life altering.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dark Side through headphones, in the dark........Life altering.
Yep, add some reality altering substance and you're set. However, ya can't stay in that frame of mind the entire time on the island and one too many times hearing "Us and Them" alone on that island and you'll be beyond paranoid....and need some Sabbath.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not going to bash others for their favorites. If you like a band you like them.
Only stating my opinion on a few...again...if you like them than that is ok and you don't have to take any stock into my opinion at all.

Never understood the love of The Clash...just never got it. Couple of OK songs IMO and that was about it. I never seemed to view them as punk at all either but that is just me...again if you like them you like them.

The eagles - I like a few of their songs but as far as being a rock band...always seemed a little too country or soft rock to me. Love life in the fast lane as it was one of the ones they really rocked on. Oddly enough...Love Joe Walsh more in other bands or on his own.

I used to tell people...Choice between Steve Miller band and The Eagles...give me Steve Miller band every time.
Same for Lynrd Skynrd - I know they will always be considered the best Southern Fried Rock band...but I will take The Allman Brothers Band over Skynrd every time.
Disagree with the Eagles comments, but totally agree with Skynyrd. The Allman Brothers are definitely better, without reservation...though they're so bluesy, I hesitate to really think of them as Southern Rock.
If I'm gonna pick a favorite Southern Rock band, I'd go with Blackfoot.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Skynrd is another overplayed band. I like their music, but I don't need to hear it again for a long time.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Elvis Presley....his historic debut album in '56 for RcA.....the genesis of rock.
very appropriate the first track on this classic LP,Blue Suede Shoes...opens with a count-down.
1 for the money.
2 for the show.
3 to get ready,now go cat go.

and off he went.

Hardline

Reaction score
1200x630bb.jpg

cowboyec

Reaction score
If you want Elvis' Greatest LIVE album...
As Recorded At Madison Square Garden...recorded at the evening concert in June of '72....Elvis and the TcB Band never sounded better or more in sync than here.
Elvis the show-man....in perfect voice.
hi-lites include....a rockin' Proud Mary,a great cover of Never Been To Spain,a re-worked Hound Dog....2 show-stoppers in The Impossible Dream and the classic An American Trilogy....and one of the first rendentions of his newly recorded gem For The Good Times.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree with the Eagles comments, but totally agree with Skynyrd. The Allman Brothers are definitely better, without reservation...though they're so bluesy, I hesitate to really think of them as Southern Rock.
If I'm gonna pick a favorite Southern Rock band, I'd go with Blackfoot.
Like them a lot and always liked a nice helping of Marshall Tucker. One I never liked was Charlie Daniels Band. They were always associated with Southern Rock but I didn't think they fit.

But I agree, the Allmans were different and could not be imitated, the blending of Greg's vocals with that raw blues sound was just magic to me. I am thankful I got to see them when Duane and Berry were still alive. Duane was something special and a guy not too shabby himself on the slide, Sonny Landreth, said he was the best at that time and not even close to as good as he could have become. He was born to the slide.