Greatest Album of All Time

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love every song on Appetite too, but there are a ton of songs on that album, I would prefer not to hear again for many years. Many of those were WAY WAY WAY overplayed.

Terribly overplayed. I turn them off when they come up in pandora or whatever, but just sitting and listening to the whole album they’re still pretty great in situ. That whole album was like a meteorite when it hit. Killed lots of dinosaurs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terribly overplayed. I turn them off when they come up in pandora or whatever, but just sitting and listening to the whole album they’re still pretty great in situ. That whole album was like a meteorite when it hit. Killed lots of dinosaurs.
It also one of the most anticipated rock albums of all time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SGT. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band...The Beatles
A fine choice as it changed everything. There is a doc on PBS about the making of it and just how involved a project it was for them and George Martin, the man that made the Beatles. It was as if they knew this would be the landmark album of it's time.

I see quite a few interviews with musicians around at that time and they can all recall where they were the first time they heard it and the profound effect it had. It literally ripped the top off the box for creativity and to think the recording limitations they had at that time, it is truly a remarkable achievement.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Oh I remember. I remember where I was when I first heard it. I was sitting in my friend Tony's bedroom and his dad came by. First time I had ever met him. (only met him twice in 12 years of friendship) He walked in, hugged Tony, said happy birthday and handed him the cassette and left. (I mean he was there for no more than 2 minutes, what a garbage father)

Anyhow, we had no idea who Guns & Roses was. They were not played on the radio or anything. We stuck it in his radio and listen to it over and over for at least three weeks straight. That album was gold right from the second we first hit play. It's without question a game changing iconic album.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
What are the other worthy candidates? I want to tell them how you disrespected them.
I was afraid to mention any cause you only wanted one. And you got a gun!
I love my Zep to so ZOSO and PG might make the cut. Maybe even Zep 1 because it's the first album of all time.

Got to get back to work. Breaks over

lukin2006

Reaction score
A fine choice as it changed everything. There is a doc on PBS about the making of it and just how involved a project it was for them and George Martin, the man that made the Beatles. It was as if they knew this would be the landmark album of it's time.

I see quite a few interviews with musicians around at that time and they can all recall where they were the first time they heard it and the profound effect it had. It literally ripped the top off the box for creativity and to think the recording limitations they had at that time, it is truly a remarkable achievement.

I am going to look that documentary up, thanks for tip. The first time I heard this album would have around 1980 (I would have been 14), a friends father put it on his turntable, and looked at both of us and said “this is the greatest album you’ll ever hear”, the next day I bought it...never get tired of. And yes many musician reference it as groundbreaking.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow!

No votes for the Beach Boy's "Pet Sounds"?

PetSounds.png

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am going to look that documentary up, thanks for tip. The first time I heard this album would have around 1980 (I would have been 14), a friends father put it on his turntable, and looked at both of us and said “this is the greatest album you’ll ever hear”, the next day I bought it...never get tired of. And yes many musician reference it as groundbreaking.
What was interesting is most of my buds didn't like the Beatles, we were all Stones fans and you had to choose. It was like Marlboro vs Winston. But when we all heard that, we knew this was something different but we had no idea what was coming behind it and what the other musicians and writers were going to do with this new freedom.

One thing it did with it's success, it made the labels back off on the formula of a hit and rethink the plan. It really took the governor off the engine and allowed them to turn these artists loose to create and it was the beginning of artist driven music instead of label driven. Whether someone likes the Beatles on not doesn't matter, we all owe them for this music today.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
1 - Sgt Peppers
2 - Dark Side of the Moon
3 - Kid A
4 - Exile On Main Street
5 - Abbey Road
6 - Blood on tracks
7 - Ok Computer
8 - Born to Run

and so on. There are dozens of albums you could make the case for.

I think there probably isn't a "greatest album ever". Once you get into the status of "had a huge impact on the scene of music at the time, and a continued impact through the following years" category, it all becomes a blur.

but it's Kid A

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
1 - Sgt Peppers
2 - Dark Side of the Moon
3 - Kid A
4 - Exile On Main Street
5 - Abbey Road
6 - Blood on tracks
7 - Ok Computer
8 - Born to Run

and so on. There are dozens of albums you could make the case for.

I think there probably isn't a "greatest album ever". Once you get into the status of "had a huge impact on the scene of music at the time, and a continued impact through the following years" category, it all becomes a blur.

but it's Kid A
Well said, Chick Doc.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not the greatest of all time but what a great album, I had a buddy who was a huge Boston fan and I remember he bought this when it was released and he played it over and over and over that summer...

Boston_-_Don't_Look_Back.jpg

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not the greatest of all time but what a great album, I had a buddy who was a huge Boston fan and I remember he bought this when it was released and he played it over and over and over that summer...

All of the Boston albums can be played front to back like that. The first three are basically the same album, even, but all great.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It was the best selling debut album for a long time, might still be, I don't know.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
What was interesting is most of my buds didn't like the Beatles, we were all Stones fans and you had to choose. It was like Marlboro vs Winston.

I seen some crazy Stones/Beatles/Zeppelin/Who debates happen at the local park when i was growing up early 80's. Some of those debates turned into nasty insults which lead to minor scraps.