Greatest Album of All Time

yesfan

Reaction score
Considered Who's Next, Machine Head, and Killer but I think I'd get tired of those too quickly.
Which happens often but I always find times where I can reflect on where I was or who I was with and these songs are part of that history.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Guess I needed to read the whole thread?
Was just reading the OP

Said any music type..no mention that it had to be hard rock
No mention of an island....but I get it
No mention of overall bands, just a best album specifically (so if a band had one good album that you like, its ok)

I guess the thread "evolved"
:laugh:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I thought BATM was a great album. Tough to measure up to his first 2 albums though! But No doubt Ozzy and Jake e lee did a nice job!!

Actually, I meant to say The Ultimate Sin, but I do like both!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ice Cube - Death Certificate

A Masterpiece
For me his best album is Amerikkkas Most Wanted. Close call but original is best to me. No solo debut has been better.
It was his debut and he roasted Easy and Jerry Heller unlike anything that had ever happened before on record/tape but ALSO made insane storyline songs like once upon a time in the projects.

This hit when I was a jr in high school so it became the entire senior year anthem.

Death Certificate to me was really, really good but it was pretty one note. All angry, all the time. Nothing liike 'Who's the Mack' to balance it out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Quincy Jones is a crackhead that believes in Astrology.
I think a lot of what he said was 100% on point and totally honest. Old and just not caring about what people think. Dude's like 85...
He's obviously a jazz snob and looks down on pop/rock/country simplicity but reality is none of the Beatles are known as strong even within their genres except maybe Paul and that occurred after leaving the group.
George was considered the best and he never as good as his buddy Eric Clapton or the greats like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi or Robert Johnson.
Their true genius was in John's head mostly imho.
Then again these dudes were out of 1960 so of course innovation has occurred at a breathtaking rate in the instruments themselves as well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I seen some crazy Stones/Beatles/Zeppelin/Who debates happen at the local park when i was growing up early 80's. Some of those debates turned into nasty insults which lead to minor scraps.
Same thing was taking place in Liverpool in the 60's, the Mods vs Rockers. The Mods, Beatles, Dave Clark 5, Herman's Hermits and that lighter pop love song group against the Rockers, Stones, Animals, Kinks, Yardbirds and the edgier side were having all out street fights and behaving like gangs and according to the reports I read, the Mods were more violent and here I thought they would be the equivalent to our Flower Children. I think all that love song crap made them angrier because they didn't have any women, their women were all gaga over Paul, Dave and Peter.

The first time I got a look at Jagger, Richards and Watts, I thought 'OK, now I got me a band I don't have to worry about all the girls getting lusty over and the Animals are just that, man these guys are ugggglllllyyyy. I love them'. After years of the Elvis, Ricky Nelson and Fabian BS, us guys needed some ugly bands to feel better about ourselves. Ever noticed the pretty boy bands sang about love and rainbows and the ugly guys about heartbreak and just how heartless women could get. That, my friend, is the real life skinny. Women can get madder and stay madder at an ugly man more than a pretty one. And ugly men write better songs.

And heartbreak makes a better songwriter. I am not a Billy Joel fan but his best stuff was when he was heartbroken and mad. Get happy and he writes crap like "Just the Way You Are"....gag with with a rose and a bottle of Chanel No 5.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Peter Gabriel So
REM Life's Rich Pageant
Talking Heads Stop Making Sense
Melissa Etheridge Brave and Crazy
Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood

cowboyec

Reaction score
The Greatest Albums by The Greatest Artist.
•50s-Elvis Presley...historic debut album for rca.
•60's-From Elvis In Memphis...classic '69 LP that cemented the comeback.
•70's-Elvis Country...a perfect album.

•soundtrack-NBC TV-Special....the soundtrack LP to the historic return in'68.....this music bleeds.

•movie soundtrack-Blue Hawaii...his biggest selling album during his lifetime...iconic track:Can't Help Falling In Love With You

•LIVE Album-As Recorded At Madison Square Garden.....Elvis and touring band never sounded better or more in sync than here.

•Gospel Album-How Great Thou Art....the historic grammy winner from '66.....this was always his favorite music.....this is right in his comfort zone and during the "movie period",Elvis rediscovers his love for music and in a way himself....here.

•Double Album-Aloha from Hawaii-via satellite....his single greatest performance...better visually but a stunning audio experience.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Geez. You classic rock only people need to buy some new music.
Wanna hear my list of country albums?....or Concrete Blonde?..Alice in Chains?...Motown?...Blues?.....or should I just list my favorites, like the topic states?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My extremely humble opinion, from many, many not-so-humble experiences, once putting this album on, I offer:
Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite.

That sucker... I have more stories than a sailor. I even used to manage a Pinkie's Pagers, way back in the day (if you're an Austinite, you know what I'm speaking) and I would repeat that CD all day and it worked.
Oh boy, did it work.

maxwell-urban-hang-suite2-1024x1024.jpg

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It's really depressing for those of us that are old enough to remember when they first came out.............not to mention, the music of today that you yunguns listen to would not exist without them.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Find something as equal to or better than the classics{pre 80 or so} and I will give it a chance. Its all been done before, 10x better and by much better artists. What you hear currently is simply copy/pasting.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Find something as equal to or better than the classics{pre 80 or so} and I will give it a chance. Its all been done before, 10x better and by much better artists. What you hear currently is simply copy/pasting.

Tons of great bands and great records/singles currently. The past few years have had some great releases.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It's really depressing for those of us that are old enough to remember when they first came out.............not to mention, the music of today that you yunguns listen to would not exist without them.

Younguns? I’m 41.

I have a large record collection and love all the classic records. The thing is great records haven’t ceased to exist. There are a ton of great artists and albums.