News: Greg Hardy To Visit Cowboys Tuesday / Stephen Jones says with intent to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I've always taken Garrett's definition to be primarily about guys who LOVE to play football, as opposed to guys who want to be paid, or love the lifestyle football provides, or don't have it as a true priority. You don't have to be a choir boy, but you can't show a continued pattern of bad behavior where you put your actions above the game.

Like Ro?o_O He quit on his last team, didn't fight through injury, etc. Sometimes it is just the talent. Which is okay/expected tbh, the holier than thou approach is what bugs some fans in thinking we are any different than any other team.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
He's a journalist? My God he's fooled a lot of people.
I thought he was just another twit- twitter, tweeker guy like Perez Hilton.

JJT could never get a shot in under 140 characters. that would require whit and creativity.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are they not trying to eliminate dead money? I thought that was the plan. If you wanted to free up space, Dez was your best option.

My contention is that if they said publicly that they don't want to restructure Romo because of future implications, that part of that is just posturing because Stephen believes that conveying the feeling that they are tight against the cap help in negotiations. I think he does not want Dez to hear that they have massive cap space and still won't meet his demands for a new contract.

Obviously it just a guess on my part, but I've listened to Stephen Jones over the years and I think I have a feel for his point of view.

If you've even done a lot of business negotiations, you'll find that people's perceptions of what you can spend affect what they think you should pay them.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He may be holding out for a firm promise that Nick Hayden will be re-signed.

This would be outstanding.

Hardy signs, people on this board rejoice and hail Jerry and Stephen Jones.

Hayden signs and people get outraged, then terribly confused if they can still cheer their prowess with personnel.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He has Seattle tentatively and then possibly Tampa Bay.

If he makes it out of Dallas, that is usually not a good sign. Shades of what happened with Jared Allen last year.

And how did that turn out for him???

Signs w/ Chicago....and then the coach gets fired. Now Bears are moving to the 3-4.....so won't be shocked to see him on the street again after the draft.

Same thing could happen to Hardy if he is seriously looking @ Tampa. Lovie is on thin ice already........

it's down to us vs Seattle.....I like our chances;)

Matts4313

Reaction score
Exactly... the concept that it is anything different is rooted in the myth that the inmates ran the asylum during Wade's years and needed a culture change. Garrett never defined it that way and the way he defines it, is standard for what every coach seeks in a player.

But inmates did run the asylum when Wade was here and we did need a culture change. We had the most entitled locker room in the league pampered by their camp cupcake practices.

RKG has been defined:

1. Loves football
2. Believes its a privileged to play for the Cowboys.
3. Willing to work hard
4. Has leadership attributes

Where people get confused is somewhere they feel like the word "saint" was put in there. Garrett has always maintained that you have to have TALENT. Just the right kind of talent.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Technically, I guess. But a team that is coming off of two straight can make a much stronger case, both things being equal.

I suppose Seattle has earned the right to be the favorite but the Cowboys beat them last year and we're one horrific officiating call from a chance to go back there again for the NFC Championship game.

It's not like we're the Commanders or Bears here.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And how did that turn out for him???

Signs w/ Chicago....and then the coach gets fired. Now Bears are moving to the 3-4.....so won't be shocked to see him on the street again after the draft.

Same thing could happen to Hardy if he is seriously looking @ Tampa. Lovie is on thin ice already........

it's down to us vs Seattle.....I like our chances;)

Turned out fine for Allen for at least a year. He would not have taken the money we were offering.

Reaction score
Maybe just negotiating ploys, but Hardy has visits set up with Seattle and Tampa Bay after us. We'll see how good Jerry and Stephen are about not letting him get out of the building.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Restructuring or releasing Brandon Carr will take care of that. If we sign Hardy all we need to do is draft a RB and CB and we have a team that is capable of going deep into the playoffs, we wouldn't need any more cap space.

Yes, I still can't see them paying Carr 8M this season. I wonder if they are going to wait until after the draft when most teams have spent their free agent budget to give him a take it or leave it offer. If they draft a CB early, that could figure into their thought process also. IIRC they waited until after the draft when they gave Free the take it or leave it offer of a pay cut back in 2012.

khiladi

Reaction score
But inmates did run the asylum when Wade was here and we did need a culture change. We had the most entitled locker room in the league pampered by their camp cupcake practices.

RKG has been defined:

1. Loves football
2. Believes its a privileged to play for the Cowboys.
3. Willing to work hard
4. Has leadership attributes

Where people get confused is somewhere they feel like the word "saint" was put in there. Garrett has always maintained that you have to have TALENT. Just the right kind of talent.

That is nonsense, that the inmates ran the asylum. People were looking for excused for the struggling offense and it turns out, Wade was right, Garrett needed people to train him in play-calling.

Secondly. 1,2,3,and 4 are what every coach in the world says they want in a football player.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/03/17/greg-hardy-to-visit-cowboys-tuesday/

DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – Free agent defensive end Greg Hardy will visit Valley Ranch on Tuesday, Stephen Jones tells 105.3 The Fan.

Jones tells The Fan that the Cowboys are bringing the former Panthers DE to Valley Ranch with the intention of signing him.

Mike Fisher reported yesterday that the Cowboys have “hit accelerator” and are negotiating with the former Pro Bowler.

Hardy was the Panthers’ franchise-tagged player a year ago after recording 15 sacks in 2013, and at 6-foot-4 and 275 pounds and just 26 years old, is an ideal cure to what ails the Dallas defense.

* This is a developing story. Stay with CBSDFW.com and 105.3 The Fan for updates.

If this happens I stand corrected that JG would not be on board with his signing. There is an obvious need and he would def help losing the "nastiness" RoMac provided in case he doesn't resign..

Ken

Reaction score
I love all the people saying "not a rkg" etc and meanwhile we are competing with SEATTLE for this heathen.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes, I still can't see them paying Carr 8M this season. I wonder if they are going to wait until after the draft when most teams have spent their free agent budget to give him a take it or leave it offer. If they draft a CB early, that could figure into their thought process also. IIRC they waited until after the draft when they gave Free the take it or leave it offer of a pay cut back in 2012.

Could be right..

Probably the same with McClain if we go MLB.

That kid from UCLA is incredible.

egn22

Reaction score
fortune-clapping.gif

Yo this has me dying

Status
Not open for further replies.