News: Greg Hardy To Visit Cowboys Tuesday / Stephen Jones says with intent to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Stephen needs to use that restraining chair he had Jerry in during the Murray negotiations on Hardy. Don't let this guy leave without a deal signed.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get how some people here- who I see on here almost everyday still do not understand that term and even when it's repeatedly explained it's like water off a duck's back.
Strange...
"Strange" is just the polite way of not labeling it for what it truly is--namely dumb ****.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I love all the people saying "not a rkg" etc and meanwhile we are competing with SEATTLE for this heathen.

heathen?

someone get a thesarus for xmas and then lost a bet to have to use this word in a post today?

and all the people harping on RKG simply have zero ability to think of something else.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
No state tax in Texas will help. If Jerry, Stephen and Garrett want him, he won't leave Valley Ranch without a contract though. It just comes down to does Dallas want him enough.

I agree if mgmt wants him he doesn't leave...if he leaves will be tough to get him back.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
My contention is that if they said publicly that they don't want to restructure Romo because of future implications, that part of that is just posturing because Stephen believes that conveying the feeling that they are tight against the cap help in negotiations. I think he does not want Dez to hear that they have massive cap space and still won't meet his demands for a new contract.

Obviously it just a guess on my part, but I've listened to Stephen Jones over the years and I think I have a feel for his point of view.

If you've even done a lot of business negotiations, you'll find that people's perceptions of what you can spend affect what they think you should pay them.

Yeah but cause agents I'm sure don't know how the cap works.

Just our fo and the fine folks here at cz.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Because every coach in the league wants an ego-driven guy who plays for himself, not the team.

It's nothing but coach-speak. There is nothing unique about RKG. This idea that it means something special is rooted in the myth of Dallas needing a culture change during the Wade era, because the guys were allegedly running wild at Valley Ranch.

What you don't understand is that all coaches and organizations day the right things. Not all of them live by what they say.

It's a subtle distinction. I'm not surprised you've missed it.

Matts4313

Reaction score
That is nonsense, that the inmates ran the asylum. People were looking for excused for the struggling offense and it turns out, Wade was right, Garrett needed people to train him in play-calling.

Secondly. 1,2,3,and 4 are what every coach in the world says they want in a football player.

1. There is a ton of evidence to support that the Cowboys coaching staff was soft as Charmin under Wade. Down to the PLAYERS saying it. So have your opinion, but the people in the locker room differ from yours.

2. The whole team quit on Wade. He got fired after his all star defense gave up 45 points to GB.

3. Sure - All coaches want that. But not all coaches will value those attributes over talent. Thats why Haynseworth gets $100M contract and then quits. He doesnt love football. He doesnt work hard. He isnt a leader.

Again - Talent, but the RIGHT KIND of TALENT.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
"Strange" is just the polite way of not labeling it for what it truly is--namely dumb ****.

Things have been a little edgy on these boards the past few days. I felt being tactful was the best course of action, but...

Yes.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I've read that he is a good teammate and good in the locker room.

Off the field, it's not like he is in constant trouble and habitually has run in's with the law or anything. Not commenting on the one incident that he did have, just mentioning what I have read about what his teammates have thought of him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Like Ro?o_O He quit on his last team, didn't fight through injury, etc. Sometimes it is just the talent. Which is okay/expected tbh, the holier than thou approach is what bugs some fans in thinking we are any different than any other team.

If Garrett's coaching mentor Saban hadn't given Ro a thumbs up he prolly doesn't sign here.
But beyond that we were desperate at the time and paid nothing to get him.
He hasn't resigned yet has he?

The RKoG thing can annoy you but Dallas does believe it in and they do homework when there are questions.

The issue with character problems is it does effect the most important ability-- availability.
Dallas taking on Hardy has to believe he will become and stay available.

garyv

Reaction score
Question about the possibility of signing Greg Hardy to a 1 or 2 year deal. If the Cowboys
can get this done once a player like Hardy signs say a 1 year deal can the Cowboys Tag
him the next season to keep from losing him ? I'm not sure the requirements regarding
using the Tags ? Please clarify.

Plankton

Reaction score
That Texas State tax line is played out and has no bearing on players signing here or not...that is just something people like to bring up and as we have seen it does not apply to players coming or leaving.

It has a slight impact.

For 8 games during the year, they don't get taxed by the state that they play in.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
1. There is a ton of evidence to support that the Cowboys coaching staff was soft as Charmin under Wade. Down to the PLAYERS saying it. So have your opinion, but the people in the locker room differ from yours.

2. The whole team quit on Wade. He got fired after his all star defense gave up 45 points to GB.

3. Sure - All coaches want that. But not all coaches will value those attributes over talent. Thats why Haynseworth gets $100M contract and then quits. He doesnt love football. He doesnt work hard. He isnt a leader.

Again - Talent, but the RIGHT KIND of TALENT.

There were also players who were broken hearted when he was fired.

And I do not think the entire team quit on Phillips. Some did in very tangible ways (Jenkins). Some did not. Some quit playing hard when Romo lay crumpled on the turf with a broken collarbone.

You could say he lost the team, that is a more adequate way of putting it.

khiladi

Reaction score
What you don't understand is that all coaches and organizations day the right things. Not all of them live by what they say.

It's a subtle distinction. I'm not surprised you've missed it.

There is an exception to every rule for every human being. It is a subtle distinction... The rule is still the rule.

GoJacks

Reaction score
Like Ro?o_O He quit on his last team, didn't fight through injury, etc. Sometimes it is just the talent. Which is okay/expected tbh, the holier than thou approach is what bugs some fans in thinking we are any different than any other team.

Other circumstances made that deal happen. Injury to Lee and a low risk deal. They didn't sign him to a deal like the one Hardy is going to get.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
If Garrett's coaching mentor Saban hadn't given Ro a thumbs up he prolly doesn't sign here.
But beyond that we were desperate at the time and paid nothing to get him.
He hasn't resigned yet has he?

The RKoG thing can annoy you but Dallas does believe it in and they do homework when there are questions.

The issue with character problems is it does effect the most important ability-- availability.
Dallas taking on Hardy has to believe he will become and stay available.

the way the cowboys use it is NOT annoying.

the way every curd chewing agenda pushing hate mongering toe-nail clipping eating fuzzy fool has to shove it into every personal issue they have with a player and make it mean something it isn't just cause they had to eat toe-nails is HIGHLY annoying.

or something

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has a slight impact.

For 8 games during the year, they don't get taxed by the state that they play in.

It would only have impact if the contract from another team was the same as the contract the cowboys offered.

We need to quit trying to fool ourselves as cowboys fans that it really makes a difference.

tm1119

Reaction score
Yes, I still can't see them paying Carr 8M this season. I wonder if they are going to wait until after the draft when most teams have spent their free agent budget to give him a take it or leave it offer. If they draft a CB early, that could figure into their thought process also. IIRC they waited until after the draft when they gave Free the take it or leave it offer of a pay cut back in 2012.

Pretty much the same thing they did with Free right? The longer we wait the less likely Carr would have a chance at even a decent contract on the open market. Pretty much tell him to stay in Dallas for a paycut or get stuck on A) a crappy team with cap space or B) sign elsewhere for considerably less money then our paycut would given him. Sounds like the most likely scenario to me and hopefully it gives us an opportunity to sign a June 1st cut from another team with the $ saved....

As for Hardy....I really don't want to see him leave the state of Texas without a contract. Don't let him go up to Seattle and let him hear all the super bowl talk. Not to mention that I believe they still have more $ to offer than we do

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It would only have impact if the contract from another team was the same as the contract the cowboys offered.

We need to quit trying to fool ourselves as cowboys fans that it really makes a difference.

Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.