News: Greg Hardy To Visit Cowboys Tuesday / Stephen Jones says with intent to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I know, and it makes sense... I just have a feeling this will seriously stunt DLaws growth and he will likely be a backup to Mincey and Hardy and Cowboys fans will be up in arms.

I don't think that will happen.

If we do sign Hardy, I think we can get both Lawrence and Hardy on the field at the same time.

I think Lawrence is capable to moving to the other side, but we'll see what happens.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
You know that they can put you in jail for that.........

Just saying.

so'k. i can get people who've never seen my posts before to visit me in jail and preach to me about sarcasm and the definition of a word.

now if he HAD read some of these posts, he would see that isn't necessary. however, like telling a child not to put a hand in the flame...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question about the possibility of signing Greg Hardy to a 1 or 2 year deal. If the Cowboys
can get this done once a player like Hardy signs say a 1 year deal can the Cowboys Tag
him the next season to keep from losing him ? I'm not sure the requirements regarding
using the Tags ? Please clarify.

Yes, they can tag him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pursuit of Greg Hardy about price more than right-guy motto

Todd Archer
Why do I have this image of Archer scanning CowboysZone for article ideas, composing and submitting them, surfing back to CZ, writing a new article, etc.?

I wouldn't blame him. Some of the most insightful (and wildest) stuff gets posted on this site. :)

remdak

Reaction score
Well, I will put my conspiracy theory hat on and say that if he signs with the Cowboys, it will be an 8 game suspension, any other team 4 game suspension.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
so'k. i can get people who've never seen my posts before to visit me in jail and preach to me about sarcasm and the definition of a word.

now if he HAD read some of these posts, he would see that isn't necessary. however, like telling a child not to put a hand in the flame...

The InterWeb is a beautiful thing.......

LOL.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Wade made a big mess in terms of the mentality of the team.

That is just what people tell themselves when they did not like him. What was wrong with the mentality when they were shutting teams out and rolling the Eagles to close out the previous year?

The power struggle between TO an Garrett/Romo would not have happened under Parcells/Jimmy and I don't think it would have happened under Garrett.

And those are tertiary things that happen when you lose and it starts snowballing.

Players developed an attitude of entitlement under Wade. Ratliff would not have developed his entitled attitude under Parcells, IMO.

The entitlement attitude was around under Switzer, Gailey and Campo as well. You could even say it lasted into Garrett's tenure as well. Miles Austin? Jay Ratliff?

One example of a change of attitude under Garrett was Hatcher. He had that entitled attitude under Wade and was seen on camera screaming that he should be starting. Once Garrett took over, Hatcher tried to become a leader and generally said all the right things.

He became this "leader" and whatnot when it suited him, namely in his contract year and when he was able to stay on the field.

Bigg and Gurode got way too fat while Wade was the HC.

They were also old and had bloated contracts. That is just as much of a reason why they were dumped as opposed to Garrett taking out Wade's trash. They were all products of the contracts handed to them by upper management.

In Garrett's first couple of years, he pushed for the team to over-focus on RKGs. I believe they had to over-focus on getting good characters and college team captains because of the mess left behind by Wade. Now that they have filled the roster with those types, they can afford to bring in a few questionable characters.

The mess was not due exclusively to Wade Phillips. The organization itself had a sense of entitlement. Jerry Jones was out of control without the eggshell element, nor a coach with a spine who could or would push back if necessary.

We had college team captains before. Tony Dixon was a team captain and he was awful. It is not some new sweeping philosophical change Garrett brought to light.

It is basics of team building 101. Parcells had the "RKG" concept well before Garrett. Most good coaches have that idea. Get me the right player who loves football and works.

If Phillips was guilty of anything it was stressing athleticism over mental framework and that was exchanged with the scouts and also the GM.

khiladi

Reaction score
Goodell-as-McMahon.gif

Congratulations on winning the internet for the day..

coult44

Reaction score
I whole-heartedly disagree. Lattimore's knee was shredded, they were worried if he would ever walk again. Gurley is already 6 weeks ahead of schedule in his rehab. And I think ACL tears are less traumatic than there were several years ago. I think the success rates are much higher. And I truly believe that Gurley is the best player in this draft and if not for the knee, we would have absolutely no shot at him.

Peterson played just 8 months after tearing his.

Fair enough, I have a question for someone who watched a lot of Ga. Football. Who do you think Gurley reminds you of? I've heard Stepehn Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, Bo Jackson, Fred Tayloe, Jamal Lewis, AD?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
That's not the entire thing.

The 3 J's era in Dallas ended very badly as Jimmy Jackson and Jason Kidd fought over Toni Braxton and basically hated each other.
T.O. was often available but not a good teammate.
He led a downright mutiny that he lost. The teammates closest to him: Choice, Crayton followed on his heels.

I hear that you would want to replace players from 2007/08 who were seen as distractions. But that was also seven seasons ago. No one would claim Crayton was all about skipping out on hard work. He worked his way up to his position as a 7th rounder. I see RKG as a vague term that could be applied to every coach in the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the difference was that Wade never really had Jerry all in. I think he was a place holder, so to speak. I think Jerry is and always was all in with Garrett. Players knew that and that's the difference. At least that's my opinion from the outside looking in.

Yes, I'm just describing the net effect of having Wade as the HC. In regards to blame you could say that's it's not all Wade's fault because of the situation, but I'm not really concerned about the blame. The net effect of having Garret as the HC is much better then the net effect of having Wade as the HC. If Garrett had departed for some reason, the new HC would have inherited a much much better locker room situation than what Garrett inherited from Wade.

FiveTime

Reaction score
True. That's why I included the Jaguars, Dolphins, and Buccaneers in my question. :) The other teams represent Texas, Washington and Tennessee (which has no state income tax but does tax dividends, etc.).

The state income tax thing comes up often. Have we ever discussed the local city taxes, state sales tax, and property taxes?? My wife and I out of curiosity looked at homes for sale in Dallas years ago and they seemed very affordable (without a basement) but we heard that local taxes were high.

ilykdrama

Reaction score
I think its more likely to be 4 game suspension.

There's a lot of NFL people saying that an arbitrator would laugh in Goodell's face and raise hell with the NFLPA if it's any more than 2. dude served a season already on a case where charges were dropped.

khiladi

Reaction score
If Phillips was guilty of anything it was stressing athleticism over mental framework and that was exchanged with the scouts and also the GM.

And that too depends. Phillip drafted Sean Lee though, whose mental framework is quite high. He's just made of glass. Phillips wasn't here when Jerry signed Carr to that huge deal. He wasn't here when Jerry went Claiborne, giving up a lot to move up.

TommyBoy21

Reaction score
Pursuit of Greg Hardy about price more than right-guy motto

Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas – Jason Garrett loves to talk about having the right kind of guys on the Dallas Cowboys.

Most often that has been defined as choir boys with impeccable comportment, even if it is not true. At the NFL scouting combine, Garrett was asked about the right kind of guy.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Patrick SemanskyGreg Hardy will visit the Cowboys, who will have to measure whether he's worth the risk.
“I think it’s critical,” he said. “And there’s so many different levels to that. There’s personal character, there’s football character, there’s work ethic, there’s passion for the game, all those things. And we literally grade the players on that. We grade our own players on that. We grade the players coming into the league on those things. You really have to dig and try to find out what this guy is all about, what makes him tick.

Read the rest here... http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...tto?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I hope money isn't the reason Hardy would walk away. At some point the team actually needs to spend the money to bring in a difference maker. There's no point to the front office's frugality this offseason if they aren't targeting someone to actually spend it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.