News: Greg Hardy To Visit Cowboys Tuesday / Stephen Jones says with intent to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
My interpretation is they weren't going to pay beyond a certain point for DeMarco Murray. You just can not compare Murray to Peterson. If Peterson becomes available, you want to re-evaluate things. You can't use the same DeMarco Murray rules. There aren't the same player.

I think you underestimate how the organization felt about Murray.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just hope our braintrust isn't sitting around contemplating the Hardy signing right now going...."ya know, we already got Jed Collins, Jasper Brinkley, Ray Agnew, Andrew Gachkar, Darren McFadden............would this be overkill?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
xwalker said:
Wade made a big mess in terms of the mentality of the team. That is just what people tell themselves when they did not like him. What was wrong with the mentality when they were shutting teams out and rolling the Eagles to close out the previous year?

The power struggle between TO an Garrett/Romo would not have happened under Parcells/Jimmy and I don't think it would have happened under Garrett.
And those are tertiary things that happen when you lose and it starts snowballing.
I disagree. A strong HC would not put his OC into a position to defend himself from players.

Players developed an attitude of entitlement under Wade. Ratliff would not have developed his entitled attitude under Parcells, IMO. The entitlement attitude was around under Switzer, Gailey and Campo as well. You could even say it lasted into Garrett's tenure as well. Miles Austin? Jay Ratliff?
One example of a change of attitude under Garrett was Hatcher. He had that entitled attitude under Wade and was seen on camera screaming that he should be starting. Once Garrett took over, Hatcher tried to become a leader and generally said all the right things.
He became this "leader" and whatnot when it suited him, namely in his contract year and when he was able to stay on the field.
There's some truth to that, but he started trying to be a leader before his contract year, IMO.

Bigg and Gurode got way too fat while Wade was the HC.
They were also old and had bloated contracts. That is just as much of a reason why they were dumped as opposed to Garrett taking out Wade's trash. They were all products of the contracts handed to them by upper management.
They were not that old. Spears was another one. Parcells rode his butt about his weight from day one, but once Parcells was gone, Spears got too fat.

In Garrett's first couple of years, he pushed for the team to over-focus on RKGs. I believe they had to over-focus on getting good characters and college team captains because of the mess left behind by Wade. Now that they have filled the roster with those types, they can afford to bring in a few questionable characters.
The mess was not due exclusively to Wade Phillips. The organization itself had a sense of entitlement. Jerry Jones was out of control without the eggshell element, nor a coach with a spine who could or would push back if necessary.

We had college team captains before. Tony Dixon was a team captain and he was awful. It is not some new sweeping philosophical change Garrett brought to light.

It is basics of team building 101. Parcells had the "RKG" concept well before Garrett. Most good coaches have that idea. Get me the right player who loves football and works.

If Phillips was guilty of anything it was stressing athleticism over mental framework and that was exchanged with the scouts and also the GM.
Yes, in terms of assigning blame, it was not just Wade's fault; however, the net effect of having Wade as the HC was a terrible team mentality.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you underestimate how the organization felt about Murray.

I think you pulled that out of left field. You seem determined to use Murray rules on Peterson. Why, I don't know. They aren't the same player.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I just hope our braintrust isn't sitting around contemplating the Hardy signing right now going...."ya know, we already got Jed Collins, Jasper Brinkley, Ray Agnew, Andrew Gachkar, Darren McFadden............would this be overkill?

Yes, that's very likely.

Ken

Reaction score
Schefter just came on ESPN and said that people in the NFL say Hardy is the same type of impact player as Suh.

I have been saying that since fa started. Hardy is right behind Suh for defensive impact.

Look what happened to Carolina's D without him last year....

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Schefter just came on ESPN and said that people in the NFL say Hardy is the same type of impact player as Suh.

He is better than Suh. Hardy in 2013 had 59 Tackles ( 39 were solo) and 15 sacks. SUH last year had 53 Tackles ( 44 Solo) 8.5 Sacks

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep, I really believe that they really wanted him back, but they just had a ceiling that they wouldn't go over. Which I can completely respect.

I'm not certain that the front office really wanted him back. I feel like they wanted the fans to think that they wanted him back and that Murray just demanded too much money.

I feel like they were anxiously awaiting him to sign with another team and they already had a deal with McFadden but didn't want to announce it until Murray made his decision. I think the FO didn't want to be seen as the ones making the decision to get rid of Murray. They positioned it such that Murray looked like the bad guy in the eyes of many fans, IMO.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Regarding the Peterson versus Murray debate, first, I believe Peterson is the much better player. I love Murray and appreciated what he did here, but Peterson is in another stratosphere.

Second and the reason for my post, let's compare the impacts of the Cowboys re-signing Murray versus acquiring Peterson. In regards to media attention, buzz, and merchandise those two items aren't even close. Re-signing Murray would be a nice puff piece on how the team is keeping the gang together, being loyal, etc. The Cowboys adding Adrian Peterson will not only break the internet, it will consume most of ESPN and NFLNetwork's time. Adrian Peterson Cowboy jerseys will sell like hotcakes and probably be within the top 10 player jerseys sold within months of him coming to Dallas.

Jerry gets what he wants... a good football team AND all of the world's attention.

heavyg

Reaction score
This was such a productive work day until this news came out. Hurry up and sign him so I can get back to work!!!

No kidding. Im sitting here hitting the refresh button every 2-3 minutes

garyv

Reaction score
I really don't see it but 2 to 4 games because hes already missed 15 games.
The thing is the NFL might say 4 but since charges dropped he would appeal
and probably be a 2 game suspension. My thing is will he stay clean afterwards.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Regarding the Peterson versus Murray debate, first, I believe Peterson is the much better player. I love Murray and appreciated what he did here, but Peterson is in another stratosphere.

Second and the reason for my post, let's compare the impacts of the Cowboys re-signing Murray versus acquiring Peterson. In regards to media attention, buzz, and merchandise those two items aren't even close. Re-signing Murray would be a nice puff piece on how the team is keeping the gang together, being loyal, etc. The Cowboys adding Adrian Peterson will not only break the internet, it will consume most of ESPN and NFLNetwork's time. Adrian Peterson Cowboy jerseys will sell like hotcakes and probably be within the top 10 player jerseys sold within months of him coming to Dallas.

Jerry gets what he wants... a good football team AND all of the world's attention.

AND another uses jerrys desire to make a spash and get everyones attention as if something like this is going to happen based off this history that is seldom backed up by facts.

only people saying jones loves shiney things so he'll make it happen.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
He is better than Suh. Hardy in 2013 had 59 Tackles ( 39 were solo) and 15 sacks. SUH last year had 53 Tackles ( 44 Solo) 8.5 Sacks

I would say when you are getting that type of production from a DT up the middle of the formation being doubled on every snap, it's more destructive.

garyv

Reaction score
Also does anyone know if hes even in Dallas as of noon today (Tuesday) ?

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score

I know you are trying to be funny for cheap likes, but I seriously doubt anyone would think like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.