News: Greg Hardy To Visit Cowboys Tuesday / Stephen Jones says with intent to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me. It would seem logical. You don't pay big money to a RB who isn't special. Murray isn't special, Peterson is. You do pay big money to an elite edge rusher still in their 20's.

Not sure what would be so shocking about a team taking this stance.

I do not think it is about the player being "special".

They have made it very clear that they had a set price involved with Murray (or any RB) and meant to pay him if it fit. I think their resolve during the negotiations proved they were sticking to their guns

From my interpretation of what they have said, they were not going to pay beyond a certain point for a RB (not paying for age). But they would have paid Murray if he fit their price threshold.

noletime95

Reaction score
Clearly there is some risk here. But pass rushers are very hard to come by and finding one available while still in their prime is unusual. I hope they can reach a deal.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Can someone verify that Hardy is one failed drug test away from a year suspension?

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Fair enough, I have a question for someone who watched a lot of Ga. Football. Who do you think Gurley reminds you of? I've heard Stepehn Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, Bo Jackson, Fred Tayloe, Jamal Lewis, AD?

Lynch!

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I'm all for giving this guy a fat contract. He's scheduled to visit other teams today, so I hope the Cowboys don't give him that chance.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Clearly there is some risk here. But pass rushers are very hard to come by and finding one available while still in their prime is unusual. I hope they can reach a deal.

It is highly unusual. That is a fact they need to understand.

I don't care if they got the first choice of any pass rusher in the draft, they are not going to step on the field right now and be better than Hardy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Schefter just came on ESPN and said that people in the NFL say Hardy is the same type of impact player as Suh.

Reactions: Ken

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The state income tax thing comes up often. Have we ever discussed the local city taxes, state sales tax, and property taxes?? My wife and I out of curiosity looked at homes for sale in Dallas years ago and they seemed very affordable (without a basement) but we heard that local taxes were high.
I do not recall reading board discussion beyond state income tax. I bet local taxes in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex are competitive versus other NFL municipalities though.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
As a general rule, what teams sign lazy players, that don't practice and are all about themselves, though they may have talent? As a general rule, what team signs players that have issues, but they are willing to take a risk on them considering their talent?

Every team in the NFL pretty much avoids the first, but does the second.. it's called an RKG...

It's like you don't follow the NFL at all. Players with elite talent get chance after chance after chance even if they are known to be lazy or have questionable work ethics.

We barely kicked the can on Fairley despite it being a huge need given his rep. That's an actual example of how our organizational philosophy impacted player acquisition.

Just because you ignore it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think it is about the player being "special".

They have made it very clear that they had a set price involved with Murray (or any RB) and meant to pay him if it fit. I think their resolve during the negotiations proved they were sticking to their guns

From my interpretation of what they have said, they were not going to pay beyond a certain point for a RB (not paying for age). But they would have paid Murray if he fit their price threshold.

You don't think the Cowboys don't factor in a player's ability before determining how high they'll go on a contract? Special players get paid that way.

My interpretation is they weren't going to pay beyond a certain point for DeMarco Murray. You just can not compare Murray to Peterson. If Peterson becomes available, you want to re-evaluate things. You can't use the same DeMarco Murray rules. There aren't the same player.

I'll go this high for Joe Flacco. But I'll go that high for Aaron Rodgers.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Goodell-as-McMahon.gif

Vincent Kennedy McMahon

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, I'm just describing the net effect of having Wade as the HC. In regards to blame you could say that's it's not all Wade's fault because of the situation, but I'm not really concerned about the blame. The net effect of having Garret as the HC is much better then the net effect of having Wade as the HC. If Garrett had departed for some reason, the new HC would have inherited a much much better locker room situation than what Garrett inherited from Wade.

I agree. At this point, it's water under the bridge. As a fan, I am happy that it looks like we finally have a solidified Coaching Staff and Front Office. In todays NFL, that obviously changes from season to season but I feel like our FO and Coaching Staff is better then it has been since the Landry Days. When Jimmy was here, we obviously had a great staff as well but you never know from moment to moment if Jerry and Jimmy were going to either walk away or get fired. I feel pretty good about our situation right now.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
You don't think the Cowboys don't factor in a player's ability before determining how high they'll go on a contract? Special players get paid that way.

My interpretation is they weren't going to pay beyond a certain point for DeMarco Murray. You just can not compare Murray to Peterson. If Peterson becomes available, you want to re-evaluate things. You can't use the same DeMarco Murray rules. There aren't the same player.

I'll go this high for Joe Flacco. But I'll go that high for Aaron Rodgers.

Peterson is clearly a special player and better than Murray, but you must also factor in his age and expected returns. If it is unlikely for a 27 year old to continue to be great, it's just as unlikely for a 31 year old to spend 3-4 years dominating.

I'd be all for Peterson coming, but likely only for a little more than I was willing to pay Murray, or at least something I can get out of in 2 years.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I would be extremely shocked if they showed amazing restraint to let Murray go and then go absolutely crazy with the money to go ALL IN thereafter.

I wouldn't be shocked.
Hardy is a bigger need than Murray.
Murray happened to hit the free agency market at a time when the pickings are ripe for running back either in the free agency market or the draft.
We can get a great back (Gurley) or very good backs (Gordon, Johnson, Coleman, Yeldon) to run behind this line. One of those five will definitely be available in the second or third round.

You pay for pass rushers, left tackles, quarterbacks and shutdown corners. You don't pay large bucks to running backs, not in this era of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.