News: Greg Hardy To Visit Cowboys Tuesday / Stephen Jones says with intent to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
That Texas State tax line is played out and has no bearing on players signing here or not...that is just something people like to bring up and as we have seen it does not apply to players coming or leaving.

I agree. I'm tired of hearing about it because those states with no income tax have ridiculously high property taxes that negates any advantage. Not only that but players have to pay state income tax on 1/16th of their salary everytime they go on the road and play in a state with income tax. The advantage is nowhere near what fans think it is at the end of the day.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I doubt we'll have to free up any money because $5.4 should be plenty to absorb his first-year cap hit. Look at DeMarco Murray's contract with the Eagles: He's getting $21 million in guaranteed money and $42 million overall, but his first-year cap hit is $5 million.

Don't forget we'll need about $3M for the rookie class and a buffer of $3-4M for the season.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Is this the player that JJ over rules Stephen and Garrett over, if it comes down to money?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. It's not like we can't free up the necessary cap space by restructuring Romo. Maybe not your first preference, but you do what you have to do if you want the guy. (And if you don't, you get your head checked.)

I feel that Stephen Jones likes to play the "we're tight against the cap" card in negotiations and that is one of the reasons they have not restructured Romo's contract.

Jenky

Reaction score
I feel that Stephen Jones likes to play the "we're tight against the cap" card in negotiations and that is one of the reasons they have not restructured Romo's contract.

Are they not trying to eliminate dead money? I thought that was the plan. If you wanted to free up space, Dez was your best option.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
OK, one more time, per Garrett's own words.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...t-kind-of-guy-and-says-ego-is-part-of-it.html

So basically, what Garrett defines as RKG is pretty much what every coach in the world wants as a player.
Yes. It's about the emphasis in player acquisition an organization places on that mentality.

There are a lot of guys in a lot of locker rooms who aren't RKGs but stick around because they have otherworldly natural gifts.

I don't see those guys in this Dallas locker room. For instance... Nick Fairley isn't a RKG and we showed no interest in him despite him being a supreme talent at a position of need.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt we'll have to free up any money because $5.4 should be plenty to absorb his first-year cap hit. Look at DeMarco Murray's contract with the Eagles: He's getting $21 million in guaranteed money and $42 million overall, but his first-year cap hit is $5 million.

Now, we would have to free up some money if we want to do anything else this off-season.

Only for a Peterson-type move, and we can always rework Romo's deal again for that.

I think the money for the rookie deals comes from a Carr pay cut.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I've already made my feelings known about Hardy. So I'm moving past that. From a football perspective, this would be a huge signing. It allows the Cowboys to take the BPA in the draft and not have to reach for a defensive pass rusher. But who knows? We could still draft one in the first. Although, I hope that if Gurley is still around (word is he won't be, but ... ) we take him and don't look back. He's that monster back that will allow us to eat up clock and then unleash a rested defense that can pin its ears back and get to the quarterback and put him on the ground instead of breathing on him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Don't forget we'll need about $3M for the rookie class and a buffer of $3-4M for the season.

Restructuring or releasing Brandon Carr will take care of that. If we sign Hardy all we need to do is draft a RB and CB and we have a team that is capable of going deep into the playoffs, we wouldn't need any more cap space.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Yes, eventually we'll have to move some money around. I figure we'll do it when we go get Adrian Peterson.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score

Now, we would have to free up some money if we want to do anything else this off-season.

Like adding Peterson? Lol

Bigdog

Reaction score
I agree. I'm tired of hearing about it because those states with no income tax have ridiculously high property taxes that negates any advantage. Not only that but players have to pay state income tax on 1/16th of their salary everytime they go on the road and play in a state with income tax. The advantage is nowhere near what fans think it is at the end of the day.[/quote

Yes but with states like NY who has both high income taxes and property taxes along with other taxes (county, city, village, etc) it is something to think about. Basically in NY everything is tax including the interstate roads that you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.