News: Gregory Failed Yet another Drug Test

Plankton

Reaction score
I'll say it again, just as was said during the draft process, and after he was drafted.

When you fail a drug test at the combine, an event where the dates when it is scheduled to occur is known well in advance, it means one of two things:
  1. You have a drug problem that you can't control.
  2. You are a complete moron.
There is a reason to test them at the combine. It is literally an intelligence and self control test. If you fail it, it's a real indicator that you are too stupid to realize that you are blowing a job interview. It also shows that you lack the self control to keep yourself clean for one month prior to the test.

This is why I would never draft a guy who failed a test at the combine. Ever. It has far greater potential to turn out bad than good. It boils down to whether you can follow rules or not. Clearly, Gregory cannot.

This seems appropriate for the occasion:

A Farmer walked through his field one cold winter morning. On the ground lay a Snake, stiff and frozen with the cold. The Farmer knew how deadly the Snake could be, and yet he picked it up and put it in his bosom to warm it back to life.

The Snake soon revived, and when it had enough strength, bit the man who had been so kind to it. The bite was deadly and the Farmer felt that he must die. As he drew his last breath, he said to those standing around:

Learn from my fate not to take pity on a scoundrel.

- Aesop

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we would have used our last two second round picks smarter we could have a pretty solid defense right now to go along with an excellent offense.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I completely agree, Tyke. It's a sad reality, but it is reality, nonetheless. I've almost given up hope. As another poster said deeper in the thread, this will almost certainly put the impetus on the Org to go full-bore DE this next offseason.

What a shame. I'm sure all of Cowboys nation can agree, such a shame. Despite their particular view on weed.
:thumbup:

Sydla

Reaction score
I promise you, a lot of NFL players smoke weed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a majority. For most, it's not that difficult to stop when they know they need to and pass a test. Most of them don't suffer from the anxiety that Gregory clearly suffers from.

Different medications work differently for different people. I'm sure he's been prescribed NFL-legal 'scripts and perhaps they don't work for him. People can deny it all they want, but weed helps many people (myself included) relax a lot. I never told my doctor I had trouble sleeping (2-3 hours a night in high school) because I didn't want to take a sleeping pill, due to the side effects and the crap that's in them. When I got to college and started smoking, I never slept better. Which led to me feeling better in the morning. I was more productive throughout the day. It was great for me.

I don't feel bad for Gregory in the sense that his life is at risk. He'll never OD from weed, and he's very unlikely to move on to other things at this point. I feel for him because this should be a non-issue. Weed probably helps him in downtime. By suspending him and potentially ending his career, who is the NFL helping? They certainly aren't helping Gregory.

I liken this to my own situation in a lot of ways. If I were to catch a marijuana charge when I was in college, I could've lost financial aid that I desperately needed. Of course I wasn't being drug tested, but I smoked often. I wasn't hurting any one. I was pretty much only helping myself. Helping myself sleep, study, be more productive. Taking away financial aid (and, thus, basically taking away my education), would've been way worse for me than just continuing to smoke. It's a victimless crime until it's against the law; at that point, you have a lot of victims.

OK. Then what should the NFL do? Just look the other way?

Here's the reality. The way the NFL penalty system for drugs is set up, it gives a player the help they likely need. It doesn't turn their back on them. It's a progressive penalty system that allows players to fix their mistakes without substantial penalty. But every time you ignore that message, the penalty gets worse. So this whole notion that the NFL isn't helping Gregory or turning their back on him is bogus.

There is one person and one person only responsible for this. Randy Gregory. That's it. It's not the Cowboys fault. It's not the NFL's fault. He's on like his 5th chance here. Anyone questioning anyone but Gregory just doesn't get it IMO.

PS - This is all based on the rumor that he failed. Maybe it's just a bad rumor.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Me: Let's see what is on Cowboyzone, oh Breaking news? What could be breaking in the middle of the... OH GOD ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I say, give him a tryout when the NFL relaxes the rule.. Until then, cut ties.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Annnnnnddddd it's time to move on.

Glad we didn't burn a top ten on the guy though.

rockj7

Reaction score
Girl don't go away mad...
Girl just go away

Gregory don't go away high,
Gregory just say goodbye

Brainpaint I just keep thinking what we could have done with that second rounder then again we haven't been batting 1000 with 2nd rounders

ghst187

Reaction score
List of other players we could've gotten with that now wasted pick:
WR Tyler Lockett
DE Frank Clark
RB tevin Coleman
LB Jordan Hicks

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'll say it again, just as was said during the draft process, and after he was drafted.

When you fail a drug test at the combine, an event where the dates when it is scheduled to occur is known well in advance, it means one of two things:
There is a reason to test them at the combine. It is literally an intelligence and self control test. If you fail it, it's a real indicator that you are too stupid to realize that you are blowing a job interview. It also shows that you lack the self control to keep yourself clean for one month prior to the test.

This is why I would never draft a guy who failed a test at the combine. Ever. It has far greater potential to turn out bad than good. It boils down to whether you can follow rules or not. Clearly, Gregory cannot.

A Farmer walked through his field one cold winter morning. On the ground lay a Snake, stiff and frozen with the cold. The Farmer knew how deadly the Snake could be, and yet he picked it up and put it in his bosom to warm it back to life.

The Snake soon revived, and when it had enough strength, bit the man who had been so kind to it. The bite was deadly and the Farmer felt that he must die. As he drew his last breath, he said to those standing around:

- Aesop

Wow! Love the story, but am kinda depressed now, Plankton :)

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
There needs to be more posters in hear beating their chests and screaming, "I told you so!".

Zordon

Reaction score

- Aesop
The issue is when he opens his mouth you hear a thoughtful intelligent person. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what seduced Jerry. Listen to him speak, he's very charming..

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I promise you, a lot of NFL players smoke weed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a majority. For most, it's not that difficult to stop when they know they need to and pass a test. Most of them don't suffer from the anxiety that Gregory clearly suffers from.

Different medications work differently for different people. I'm sure he's been prescribed NFL-legal 'scripts and perhaps they don't work for him. People can deny it all they want, but weed helps many people (myself included) relax a lot. I never told my doctor I had trouble sleeping (2-3 hours a night in high school) because I didn't want to take a sleeping pill, due to the side effects and the crap that's in them. When I got to college and started smoking, I never slept better. Which led to me feeling better in the morning. I was more productive throughout the day. It was great for me.

I don't feel bad for Gregory in the sense that his life is at risk. He'll never OD from weed, and he's very unlikely to move on to other things at this point. I feel for him because this should be a non-issue. Weed probably helps him in downtime. By suspending him and potentially ending his career, who is the NFL helping? They certainly aren't helping Gregory.

I liken this to my own situation in a lot of ways. If I were to catch a marijuana charge when I was in college, I could've lost financial aid that I desperately needed. Of course I wasn't being drug tested, but I smoked often. I wasn't hurting any one. I was pretty much only helping myself. Helping myself sleep, study, be more productive. Taking away financial aid (and, thus, basically taking away my education), would've been way worse for me than just continuing to smoke. It's a victimless crime until it's against the law; at that point, you have a lot of victims.

I've ignored responding to these "Weed is Great and Harmless" posts all this time but it's getting on my nerves.

Weed is not harmless. My sister started with weed and got into much worse later on as a result. So kudos to you and others who kept it strictly to weed, but to others it is a gateway drug to much worse. Not cool. The very fact that Gregory can't stop doing weed even though it is hurting his future is proof weed is anything but harmless.

It is also NOT a victimless crime as there are plenty of people who will steal in order to get money to get their happiness on. Again, I have personal experience with such.

I don't begrudge your happiness, however artificially induced. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you when you try and pump up a substance that has ruined lives.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

- Aesop

This alone gets a :clap:for the Aesop's Fable reference. But I agree with your overall point too.

Zordon

Reaction score
List of other players we could've gotten with that now wasted pick:
WR Tyler Lockett
DE Frank Clark
RB tevin Coleman
LB Jordan Hicks
Meh the players after Claiborne and Escobar hurt worse.