News: Gregory Suspended for a year

kumizi

Reaction score
He deserved to be suspended. Not another year. This kid came into he league with these issues. If you care about the person, you should be sensitive to the fact that isolating him another year from craft and team is not going to help. The idle time will only exacerbate is problem. Goodell is a POS.
There are clear rules in the CBA about drugs and suspensions. The NFL is not a rehab facility.

what a stupid post

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not a disease,it is a pattern of behavior.
Comparing it to cancer is ridiculous.
I almost lost it all due to alcohol.I took inventory on myself and took responsibility for my actions.
It was booze or my career and wife and kids.Easy choice.
If it really mattered for Gregory,he would think it twice before toking again.
Grow up and be a man.If getting high is his main priority in life,then pro football is not for him.Simple as that.
We all have choices.He chose poorly.
For some people it is just a pattern of (bad) behavior; however, some people really do have mental issues that cause them to be addicts. Some people can't stop obsessive/compulsive behavior that is not related to substance abuse. The mental issues behind obsessive/compulsive is very similar to the issues that cause some people to abuse substances.

if you've ever know somebody with obsessive/compulsive issues you might understand what I'm saying. Many of them really want to stop but can't do it without help and/or prescription drugs. Many ocd types can get relief with prescription drugs unless their ocd manifests itself as substance abuse, then prescription drugs might not be recommended.

You were obviously not the type of alcohol abuser that had true mental issues. You likely did it because it was a habit that got out of control and/or you were in an environment that promoted it.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to know which substance abusers are which. Some are just spoiled people that do whatever they want, whenever they want but could quit if they wanted to. Even the ones that got on physically addictive drugs like Heroin can go to rehab to make the choice to quit if they don't have underlying mental issues.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
He said he has bipolar

If so, he must have seen a psychiatrist, and has probably tried medication. The mistake that many make is to give up on meds if the first trial or 2 is unsuccessful or intolerable. Conventional behavioral modification and prescription meds demonstrate excellent outcomes and control of bipolar disorder. BD is essentially manic depression light; it almost always requires dual therapy, and THC alone will likely cause chronic depression and dependence,

So, self treatment of bipolar disorder is characterized by recurrent failure.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Promising, no.

But for any of us who've dealt with a relative so under the control of weed that they've let their careers go up in smoke, as pissed off we may be, there's always hope that this will be that moment when things turn around.

I get the judgment, I really do. But I don't get the lack of compassion. Surely there's something deeper in most of us that wishes him the best.

This is the part I cant buy into...under the control of weed? Whoever you are talking about had other issues besides marijuana alone. Im not attacking you, Im just saying you werent being told the whole story.

A person may long for the effect it provides, but marijuana users are NOT physically addicted like crack, meth, heroine, narcotic users, and alcoholics. @phildadon86 It is a disease once you are addicted, but I dont see how this applies to Gregory and weed.

He may be bipolar, but there are bipolar meds that work, but you have to be willing to take them and take them consistently. Being bipolar is no excuse for not being able to quit smoking weed....

_sturt_

Reaction score
...under the control of weed? Whoever you are talking about had other issues besides marijuana alone...

About 2-3 years ago, I would have agreed with this. But partially related to my profession--I'm not directly in mental health, but rub elbows regularly with some who are, and otherwise try to keep up on the newest research--there is such a thing as psychological addiction, not only biological addiction.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
This is horrible. And you people acting giddy about this, or saying that "McDonalds; career over" bs need to check yourselves. You sad, sad, souls.

I'm only two pages into this, and while I'm upset at a few of the posts, it shouldn't surprise me. We want to win. Gregory made winning easier. This is horrible, stop acting like it's a good thing.

Don't front cuz you're let down.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You don't follow rules just because they are there. That's a sheep mentality. If all people were sheep, alcohol would still be illegal and cocaine wouldn't be. The Government telling me what I can and cannot ingest into my own body without any reason what so ever is ignorant and sheepish. The Government and the NFL need to stay the hell out of people's bedroom and lives period.

Then if you're going to keep it in your bedroom, keep it in your bedroom. Don't come out of your bedroom, get in your car then drive into someone who was not in your bedroom but on the highway and gets killed because you're driving drunk. If you're going to do cocaine, then do it in your bedroom. Don't venture out of your bedroom and to feed your habit, break it another's house or feed your habit to others who will involve themselves in behavior that impacts those who weren't in your bedroom participating in drugs.

And that's the problem with these myopic, naïve arguments. They're theoretical in nature and don't consider what the government and society considers, i.e., that these issues almost NEVER confine themselves to the bedroom, but venture out of the bedroom into the general public, impacting others who don't wish to bare the consequences of your behavior which you say should remain in your bedroom. ;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is horrible. And you people acting giddy about this, or saying that "McDonalds; career over" bs need to check yourselves. You sad, sad, souls.

I'm only two pages into this, and while I'm upset at a few of the posts, it shouldn't surprise me. We want to win. Gregory made winning easier. This is horrible, stop acting like it's a good thing.

Don't front cuz you're let down.

Well, I don't know if he made winning easier. In all the games he played healthy, we loss. :(

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with banning weed but I think the penalities are too harsh. These cases of domestic abuse have been getting 1 game first time offender or not, weed should not get you banned for a full year IMO. Although since that is the rule Gregory and others should just be smarter and not smoke it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's a problem brought about by conservatives/religious people. The treatment of marijuana as being worse than alcohol is an American problem.

No, religious/conservatives don't see the marijuana worse than alcohol. Rather, we believe that society is better when people are in their right mind than if they're drunk, stoned, buzzed, blitzed, etc. And we see how this impacts our society in terms of drug-related deaths, lack of productivity at work, the millions and billions of dollars poured into rehabilitation, etc. Besides, the fight against the legalization of alcohol has long been lost, even though it has costs hundreds of thousands of lives and devastated families, etc.
The fight against marijuana is still ongoing, so, of course, those opposed to legalization are going to try to prevent that from occurring - although I think it will occur if not in this generation, the next. It's not a marijuana vs. alcohol battle.

Your position - and the focus of your blame - is too simplistic, which is why it's so popular.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
Say what you want about Gregory brought this on himself and bla bla.

But I think its BS how the NFL timed all of this and how fast they brought all this down.

Brady can cheat and delay his suspension for a year. Multiple other players have done what Gregory did multiple times and the process can take forever.

Really seems like they messed us over on this one.
They can't mess us over for something we never had. The Cowboys have gone the whole season, last two games notwithstanding, without Gregory. They'll be just fine.

dogberry

Reaction score
Legally, how does the NFL test someone that they have fired (not paid)?

How long does it take for the substance tested for to become undetectable?

Last edited:

Lutonio

Reaction score
I never counted on him being available at all this year since the noise that started in the offseason.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Well, this might be a good thing. It's now or never.

I think banning from the team's facility is pretty harsh. If the team wants to keep the player under contract, shouldn't that take precedent? I mean, it's their cost. Especially if he showed something this year mentally and Dallas wanted to help him turn his life around. That'd be great PR. I could see if the guy was facing a felony or assault, or just something really stupid, but with a marijuana dependence suspension the off the field stuff should be up to the team. And the NFL should encourage it.

He's a young guy who's an idiot, but guys have done a lot worse than smoke marijuana. The league literally just banished him from the only thing he's ever known. For weed.

dogberry

Reaction score
If he has been fired, can he be a member of the union?

The CBA appears to give the NFL the right to fire Gregory, but how can the CBA be used to control the life of someone who isn't in the NFL anymore? If he isn't working is he in the NFLPA? Does he have the money to pay the NFLPA?

When Erod fires someone for drugs, he doesn't retain the right to test them after he has fired them does he?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If he has been fired, can he be a member of the union?

The CBA appears to give the NFL the right to fire Gregory, but how can the CBA be used to control the life of someone who isn't in the NFL anymore? If he isn't working is he in the NFLPA? Does he have the money to pay the NFLPA?

When Erod fires someone for drugs, he doesn't retain the right to test them after he has fired them does he?
He has to keep getting testing if he ever wants to play again

Even after players retire they can be tested or they will suspended if they ever unretire

Josh Brent didn't get out of his suspension by retiring..... a lot of players would just retire instead of facing a ban

negativecreep

Reaction score
I was going to give my opinion in this thread, but I feel too strongly about the subject and I don't have the energy. I really wish Randy the best, maybe he'll be lucky enough to wear the star again someday.