News: Gregory Suspended for a year

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
From what I have cobbled together

RGregory failed a test this summer, his 5th failure because it resulted in a 4 game suspension
He then entered rehab instead of staying at Training Camp
At some point he failed another test before October resulting in a 10 game suspension
He re-joined the team around the same time and started working out
He then dropped the appeal of his 10 game suspension
In November word leaked his missed another test
He quietly appealed the latest missed test and finished his 14 games off
He was not allowed to return 2 weeks early to begin practicing because NFL said he was "not in compliance"
He returned for Games 15 and 16 while still appealing his newest failure
His appeal was heard yesterday and he lost
He is now suspended indefinitely and can first apply for reinstatement in a year

DAL still has his rights for 3 seasons(this year didn't count) and he won't count against the roster next year while suspended

Nice recap, you nailed it.

What is sad is that to get an indefinite suspension under the CBA, you have to fail like 6 or 7 drug tests so this is not like a one time thing. Take into consideration that he failed a drug test at the combine and that he failed multiple drug tests at Nebraska, the dude has failed like 20 drug tests overall.

You have to have one serious addiction to fail that many tests, especially when you are told when most of them are happening. Its not like you party on Saturday night and light up a blunt and you get a surprise drug test the next morning. The dates of most of these tests are known in advance, so its like you know you are going to be tested on Sunday morning but you still light up a blunt Saturday night regardless.

That means you are either seriously addicted or you are just beyond stupid................or maybe a combination of both.

dogberry

Reaction score
If Gregory gets a regular job, but he still wants to play in the NFL, will the NFL work around his work schedule when testing him?

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
From what I have cobbled together

RGregory failed a test this summer, his 5th failure because it resulted in a 4 game suspension
He then entered rehab instead of staying at Training Camp
He failed another test, possibly while in rehab resulting in a 10 game suspension
He rejoined the team in September and started working out
He then dropped the appeal of his 10 game suspension on Sept 20th
In November word leaked his missed another test
He quietly appealed the latest missed test and finished his 14 games off
He was not allowed to return 2 weeks early to begin practicing because NFL said he was "not in compliance"
He returned for Games 15 and 16 while still appealing his newest failure
His appeal was heard yesterday and he lost
He is now suspended indefinitely and can first apply for reinstatement in a year

Thanks....Why is this guy missing tests? Uggghhhhhh wasted talent

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder how the Dallas FO is going to react to this once next year comes around.

It probably won't be too surprising if Jerry and Stephen decide to allow Gregory one last season.

OTOH, it's reasonably feasible that they might decide it's better not to waste another roster spot.

It appears obvious by now that Gregory has a social anxiety that prevents him from a recovery.

Last edited:

ghst187

Reaction score
Curious timing considering the NYG players got publicly exposed on a drug yacht which is similar to when josh brown case came to light, what does the NFL do....no punishment for the NYG but instead start targeting the Cowboys to deflect heat from the NYG.....coincidence?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Legally, how does the NFL test someone that they have fired (not paid)?

How long does it take for the substance tested for to become undetectable?

They haven't fired him. They've suspended him. And as a condition of continued employment, they can test him.

Now if he wants to submit his papers of retirement, then he's legally free of testing. But if not, he is subject to testing.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nice recap, you nailed it.

What is sad is that to get an indefinite suspension under the CBA, you have to fail like 6 or 7 drug tests so this is not like a one time thing. Take into consideration that he failed a drug test at the combine and that he failed multiple drug tests at Nebraska, the dude has failed like 20 drug tests overall.

You have to have one serious addiction to fail that many tests, especially when you are told when most of them are happening. Its not like you party on Saturday night and light up a blunt and you get a surprise drug test the next morning. The dates of most of these tests are known in advance, so its like you know you are going to be tested on Sunday morning but you still light up a blunt Saturday night regardless.

That means you are either seriously addicted or you are just beyond stupid................or maybe a combination of both.

We should have never drafted him. :(
I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he's failed tests in college, at the combine, and if he's been suspended the majority of his first two years, I don't think we can really count on him.
I was hoping he would turn his life around. There's this ever-present hope I have for him because he's still on the team. But I have to consciously write him off as being able to contribute to the Cowboys for the foreseeable future.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Of course. Couldn't they just give the guy a break? Damn. He made his mistake(s) and seemed to be on a good path. It's not like this guy was beating his wife or smoking meth.
And he probably loves puppies!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The earliest he can apply for reinstatement is November 6. Myself I would have a hard time keeping him because he can't be trusted or counted on. Now Cowboys may choose to stay with Gregory and if that is the case all I can do as a fan is hope he stays clean and is able to get reinstated in Nov next year.

Maverick84

Reaction score
I was going to give my opinion in this thread, but I feel too strongly about the subject and I don't have the energy. I really wish Randy the best, maybe he'll be lucky enough to wear the star again someday.
Nirvana fan?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We should have never drafted him. :(
I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he's failed tests in college, at the combine, and if he's been suspended the majority of his first two years, I don't think we can really count on him.
I was hoping he would turn his life around. There's this ever-present hope I have for him because he's still on the team. But I have to consciously write him off as being able to contribute to the Cowboys for the foreseeable future.
He will never get out of Stage 3 testing.......literally

He will be tested and tested and tested......he has no future in the NFL.......he should just retire and go play in the CFL

The NFL drug policy is a joke until you are in it........they will hammer the repeat offenders to appear tough when they are really lax

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
The earliest he can apply for reinstatement is November 6. Myself I would have a hard time keeping him because he can't be trusted or counted on. Now Cowboys may choose to stay with Gregory and if that is the case all I can do as a fan is hope he stays clean and is able to get reinstated in Nov next year.

As disappoitning as Gregory has been to date, I see no reason to get rid of him. He is young, talented and is apparently well-liked by the team. Dallas is not being forced to do anything with him so why would they?

I mentioned before, he is not permitted to practice with the team, attend meetings or play, but he is not banned from the facility. He can continue to work out and hopefully stay clean.

dogberry

Reaction score
In the previous suspension wasn't Gregory permitted to workout, receive counseling, and attend meetings?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
As disappoitning as Gregory has been to date, I see no reason to get rid of him. He is young, talented and is apparently well-liked by the team. Dallas is not being forced to do anything with him so why would they?

I mentioned before, he is not permitted to practice with the team, attend meetings or play, but he is not banned from the facility. He can continue to work out and hopefully stay clean.
Are you certain he can still be at the facility during this suspension? I read somewhere earlier that he was banned from being on the premises. Not saying you're wrong, just that I have seen conflicting information.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

As I said I believe that you must be able to trust and count on players. You get into the middle of the season where you are relying on him and then he turns around and get suspended can really hurt a defense. Face it at the final cut down you only have so many DE you can bring to the 53 man so those spot are important and when you lose a guy they are hard to replace.