Gregory's tape >>>> Bosa's tape

Reaction score
What is it about the new NFL and all the 3-4 OLB's that makes folks think a 4-3 DE has to be a DWare guy who explodes around the OT without being touched, using his speed outside or inside?

Some of the best DE's in NFL history have been power and technique guys with high motors. Even in his prime years that excited so many fans about the Greg Hardy signing, he was never a speed guy running around DE's like the 230 LB Gregory. Look at Reggie White...certainly not a speed guy.

Maybe Bosa is a bust or flop; maybe he's just a solid Greg Ellis for 10 years, but to dismiss his pass rush due to speed and outside shoulder dip is to compare him only to the smaller speed pass rushers when there have been plenty of DE's who lived in the backfield on power, variety of moves, great hands, and relentless motors.

All the draft pundits who still have him listed as the best DE if not the best player in the draft, guys who describe him as the best pass rusher in the draft, must see something in his tape that fans here who don't like him don't see. I'm willing to bet he will have a better rookie year than most more athletic DE's have had in the past because they usually have to learn their craft. Bosa is described as a master technician already.

I personally hope we get a shot at Ramsey or a great trade down, but I really think folks are judging Bosa vs. guys like Von Miller who can't even play the same position.

These are good points. Maybe I underestimate Bosa's pass rushing ability because I dont see the explosive moves or closing ability, and ignore his power. But the lack of explosion and closing can be predictors of a bust.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Bosa has awesome technique.. he is very strong also.. he is not a finished product.. weren't people comparing him to JJ Watt before the season ended? watching his proday now. he did 28 reps on the bench press compared to the 24 at the combine. ran a faster 40 . Ohio State fans will tell you his football IQ is pretty darn high.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that Bosa is the pick if they stay at #4. His position versatility is what the Cowboys like. There is no great pure pass rusher in this draft and that is the role they are trying to cut out for Gregory. So you add Bosa and you let Lawrence play RDE on 1st and 2nd down and then you can kick Bosa inside on 3rd down if needed. This gives them a 6-7 deep rotation of guys on the Dline and you hope Marinelli can work with Bosa to improve some of his pass rush skills. The guy does at least seem to be very focused on football and trying to get better. I just don't see one guy in the draft that is going to come in and get 10 sacks. Wentz would be my other choice at 4. I wouldn't mind then dropping down to get Zeke but I don't think he is drops past both the Eagles and Giants.. which is a double whammy.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
When Bosa turns, or attempts to turn, the corner it feels like I age a year. Broadus brought it up, it usually takes him like 10 yards to get to the edge. Maybe he can block punts?

And then he runs a 4.2 shuttle and a 6.8 3 cone.

You guys go by what you feel. More front brain please.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I just see the OT's not setting up properly. Not getting in front of him just letting Bosa go around. Not like Bosa is Reggie White on the corner. Again, post some Gifs where Bosa has to make a counter move.

I'll agree that they are too slow to keep up with his explosion off the line. That is about it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not impressed with Bosa from the gifs. The tackle doesn't even try to stay in front of him, just let's him go around. Post some gifs where Bosa has to make a counter move to get around an OT.

I think you're going to see this with most defenders who look great. We tend to see what we want to see.

With one DE who blows by a tackle, it's a great first step and explosion. With another, it's the OT just let's him go.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Bosa is going to be a good NFL player. He actually does closely compare athletically to Greg Hardy.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
And then he runs a 4.2 shuttle and a 6.8 3 cone.

You guys go by what you feel. More front brain please.

Thats okay. I am fine with being wrong.

To me, personally, in my opinion.... as well as some others...he just kind of looks 'meh'.

He doesnt have great bend and it results in him getting pushed really deep outside pocket. He is an above average athlete.

His body kind of looks filled out...but I think he needs to be stronger. which is a problem.

People laugh about taking lb with 4th pick, but id take jack over bosa. I think jack results in more turnovers.

That being said, I am a QB at 4 guy.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
What is it about the new NFL and all the 3-4 OLB's that makes folks think a 4-3 DE has to be a DWare guy who explodes around the OT without being touched, using his speed outside or inside?

Some of the best DE's in NFL history have been power and technique guys with high motors. Even in his prime years that excited so many fans about the Greg Hardy signing, he was never a speed guy running around DE's like the 230 LB Gregory. Look at Reggie White...certainly not a speed guy.

Maybe Bosa is a bust or flop; maybe he's just a solid Greg Ellis for 10 years, but to dismiss his pass rush due to speed and outside shoulder dip is to compare him only to the smaller speed pass rushers when there have been plenty of DE's who lived in the backfield on power, variety of moves, great hands, and relentless motors.

All the draft pundits who still have him listed as the best DE if not the best player in the draft, guys who describe him as the best pass rusher in the draft, must see something in his tape that fans here who don't like him don't see. I'm willing to bet he will have a better rookie year than most more athletic DE's have had in the past because they usually have to learn their craft. Bosa is described as a master technician already.

I personally hope we get a shot at Ramsey or a great trade down, but I really think folks are judging Bosa vs. guys like Von Miller who can't even play the same position.

Yep. Best pass rusher in the league is Watt.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thats okay. I am fine with being wrong.

To me, personally, in my opinion.... as well as some others...he just kind of looks 'meh'.

He doesnt have great bend and it results in him getting pushed really deep outside pocket. He is an above average athlete.

His body kind of looks filled out...but I think he needs to be stronger. which is a problem.

People laugh about taking lb with 4th pick, but id take jack over bosa. I think jack results in more turnovers.

That being said, I am a QB at 4 guy.

Shaq Lawson plays much more upright than Bosa. That is part of why Bosa has such good balance, he has natural lean to his rush.

And what makes you think he needs to get stronger or that at 20 years old he cannot? The only guy that could single block him was the MSU LT and that was inconsistent. OT are supposed to be perfect not 50/50. Everyone else he regularly ragdolled with notoriously heavy hands.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Shaq Lawson plays much more upright than Bosa. That is part of why Bosa has such good balance, he has natural lean to his rush.

And what makes you think he needs to get stronger or that at 20 years old he cannot? The only guy that could single block him was the MSU LT and that was inconsistent. OT are supposed to be perfect not 50/50. Everyone else he regularly ragdolled with notoriously heavy hands.

Wow you love Bosa huh? I watched a ton of tapes on him too. I don't 'NOT' think he is a good football player. I just don't think he is elite or great. When you have a top 5 or top 10 pick, the fans want great. It's not really Bosa's fault, its more the drafts fault that it isn't more top heavy.

He will never be a 10+ sack guy. He is going to be a try hard, consistent, physical, smart football player. His upside is Chris Long in his prime.

cds99

Reaction score
Anyone watched the bosa interviews? Dude seems like he has smoked his brain to a level past idiotic.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Wow you love Bosa huh? I watched a ton of tapes on him too. I don't 'NOT' think he is a good football player. I just don't think he is elite or great. When you have a top 5 or top 10 pick, the fans want great. It's not really Bosa's fault, its more the drafts fault that it isn't more top heavy.

He will never be a 10+ sack guy. He is going to be a try hard, consistent, physical, smart football player. His upside is Chris Long in his prime.

Love him? I evaluate him along with most other drat sites as one of the best 4 players in this draft. Acting like I am some outlier when that is the case is amusing and gratuitous. I think its more that I loathe board groupthink.

I am evaluating his play as opposed to other pass rushers. Lawson is much more upright. You don't argue it so I'm guessing you know this too.

You've abandoned everything but qualitative generalizations like 'great' and making mindless predictions without basis. Chris Long had 13 sacks on year. You contradicted yourself.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Love him? I evaluate him along with most other drat sites as one of the best 4 players in this draft. Acting like I am some outlier when that is the case is amusing and gratuitous. I think its more that I loathe board groupthink.

I am evaluating his play as opposed to other pass rushers. Lawson is much more upright. You don't argue it so I'm guessing you know this too.

You've abandoned everything but qualitative generalizations like 'great' and making mindless predictions without basis. Chris Long had 13 sacks on year. You contradicted yourself.

Why are you getting defensive? I know Chris Long has had over 10+ sacks in 2 great seasons. But as a whole he was 4-8 sack guy look at the numbers.

Dude I've watched more Joey Bosa tape then you probably have. Bosa is not a great pass rusher. Even my most die hard Ohio State fans will tell me that. He's not going to be an elite rush player. If you want a solid LDE then great! But I'm sorry I just don't view him as a total game wrecker, nor will I get excited to have him at the # 4 pick overall.

dantheman41

Reaction score

And by the way I don't love Lawson either. I don't really think any of the top DE's are great players. Their moved up the board this year because the depth at DE isn't great.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Why are you getting defensive? I know Chris Long has had over 10+ sacks in 2 seasons. Dude I've watched more Joey Bosa tape then you probably have. Bosa is not a great pass rusher. Even my most die hard Ohio State fans will tell me that. He's not going to be an elite rush player. If you want a solid LDE then great! But I'm sorry I just don't view him as a total game wrecker.

:laugh: You watched more tape than me? OSU fans tell you that? I have a friend who is an OSU fan that says youre full of it.

I watched every game they have up on draft scout so like a dozen. For all of your watching you cannot articulate very much. His measurables belie your claims as well.

dantheman41

Reaction score
:laugh: You watched more tape than me? OSU fans tell you that? I have a friend who is an OSU fan that says youre full of it.

I watched every game they have up on draft scout so like a dozen. For all of your watching you cannot articulate very much. His measurables belie your claims as well.

Yup...I've been told by multiple people that Spence was the better pass rusher at Ohio State. Bosa the better all around player. I've written up a report on Bosa, I invite you to go check it out on my draft sticky. I come to my own predictions with no preconceived ideas on these guys. Agree to disagree, but I just don't love Bosa at 4. I'll take Ramsey and Jack over him in a heartbeat.

Oh and by the way, show me the clip of Bosa ever grabbing the edge on a tackle and getting outside on him. He doesnt..... I don't care what he tests at and what the numbers say, the film doesn't lie. Elite edge pass rushers can bend, grab the edge and turn the corner... Bosa can't do that.