Griffin III - 4.38

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
cobra;4430083 said:
Someone who runs a gimmick college spread offense does not translate into the NFL.

Roethlisberger.jpg

drew-brees.jpg

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4429888 said:
He ran a 4.33 which is faster than RG3, so Vick actually would still hold the record.

Not surprised by RG3 at all, he was a track guy before football.

The difference is that one is a real QB, the other is a fantastic athlete that plays QB...

It's not a hit on Vick, just fact...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dawgs0916;4430466 said:
Its true. Hos always liked Robert, so I'm not really sure where all the hate is coming from.

Anyways, I'm beyond happy for him. I asked him yesterday what he was going to run and he said: "That's in God's hands. I prayed for a 4.2 but we'll see."
Thanks for the backup WM.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
trickblue;4430677 said:
The difference is that one is a real QB, the other is a fantastic athlete that plays QB...

It's not a hit on Vick, just fact...

Yeah thats true, and btw that is a hit on Vick.....;)

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Hostile;4430452 said:
I don't care about Cleveland winning. I care about Washington not getting a QB to build around.
If that happened it would be a 4 team battle every year

Bluestang

Reaction score
cobra;4430083 said:
Someone who runs a gimmick college spread offense does not translate into the NFL.

He doesn't have good size. He just avoided having terrible size. Strong arm and fast, yes. But it was a gimmick offense that caused his passing numbers. If you think his passing performance is elite, then you should want to draft Case Keenum because whatever you can point to as a passer production and skill set, Case can surpass Griffin.

I think Griffin deserves to be the second drafted QB. But what I can't stand is people acting like he in the same class as Luck or a better prospect than Luck because he ran a gimmick offense.

Any team drafting Griffin has to admit that he is being drafted as dual threat. There's no shame against admitting that. It's betting against history as far as success goes, but it is reasonable risk. What is silly is the attempt to argue that he is being drafted as a pure pocket passer when he never ran a pro offense.

I agree. I don't fear Griffin. He'll have some great individual performances, but over time he'll break his teams heart.

I just hope he doesn't because a Commander because I like him and would hate for him to go to such a joke of a bottom-feeding franchise. And I'd feel bad laughing at him as he loses to us and most people as is typical.

RG3's interview on NFLN following his workout had a few telling pieces about his transition to the NFL. He said that Baylor's offense was a spread offense up until his last year when they started using pro scheme concepts. They were using pro schemed play calls with a pro route tree and he would meet with QB coach, OC, and line coach to get the game plan developed. The one thing he said he needed to work on was his timing throws, which is my guess as to why he declined to throw at the combine.

I gather that RG3 already has a good knowledge of a pro style offense but needs to polish up his timing and footwork.

Don't kid yourself here, RG3 is a great prospect and needs time to develop but he has the potential to be an elite QB.

JBond

Reaction score
Bluestang;4429920 said:
Mobility is over rated...just look at Eli Manning.

It is not over rated on this team. We have 1.5 of the needed players out of the 5 jobs available.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;4430186 said:
What on earth are you arguing with me about? Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it?

I feel the same way as you do, I would never take RG3 over Luck, I'd go Ricky Williams and get Luck if I am in charge.

Luck to me translates to a mobile Peyton Manning (he simply doesn't have the super gun of an arm to be John Elway)

RG3 looks and feels like Steve Young, a mobile dual threat who can run but is pass first and will take longer to hit his NFL stride. His best days as a passer won't be in year 1, 2 or 3. It'll be well beyond that.

Luck's issue, which I hate for him, is he is going to head to the 1989 version of the Dallas Cowboys, a team that is about to gut itself and have nothing but young players, changing systems completely, a rookie head coach, rookie GM, and unable to do much in FA this coming season. And they won't have a Hersel Walker trade to help them

RG3's issue will be how he adjusts to an NFL scheme. If he was white, we would be talking about how smart he is since he is a Baylor grad and has the option for law school. Sort of like how people were describing Sam Bradford as incredibly intelligent 2 years ago.

Both these kids I am excited about. Skill set wise, talent wise, moxie wise and character wise

I thought people were still talking about how smart he is?

Maybe that's not the overwhelming commentary because his pure athleticism overshadows it.

I've see numerous reports of his scholastic achievements.

I think ESPN had a Heisman promo-like video about him where that was one of the major talking points.

It's not like Luck is being fawned over right now for his scholasticism. Engineering major at Stanford, not exactly basket-weaving.

Aikbach

Reaction score
TheCount;4430459 said:
lol, and I felt like an idiot when I was saying I'd draft him with our 1st round pick a while back. Little did I know we'd be talking 2nd overall.
Hey i was a homer when i said he'd be a first round pick and Heisman candidate in the first month of the season, some of the people here dismissed him as 3rd round talent, a future defensive back...must've been reading Mack Brown's recruitment files.;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
casmith07;4430655 said:
http://www.steelers-fan.com/images/Roethlisberger.jpg

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/12/drew-brees.jpg

Can't believe you didn't mention your boy Cam...

It's dumb to say that because you ran a spread offense in college you can't be a good NFL QB. It's not up to the QB what offense he runs. Andrew Luck would undoubtedly put up crazy numbers in a spread offense... If that happened, should he be marked down for it? Of course not.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
casmith07;4429972 said:
All of this stuff is misplaced, though, because Robert Griffin can actually throw the ball, too. Over 10,000 yards passing, 78 TDs to only 17 INTs in four years.

Just because dude can run doesn't mean you have to all of a sudden dump on him. He's going to be a very good QB.

He may turn out to be better than Luck.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Tony Romo ran a 5.0 forty time at the 2003 combine. People still consider him a good athlete.

RGIII's 40 time doesn't surprise me. Knew he was fast. Know he is smart. Know he has a good arm. What I don't know is just how good he will be in the NFL. My bet is he will be good, but there is always the possibility he will falter. I like what I see and wish him well.

I understand the criticism of RGIII being in a gimmick offense. Nowadays most every QB will have to go through that criticism. The gimmick offense is the more standard one run in college than the traditional pro-style offense. Same with high schools. It is less common for QBs to take a majority of their snaps from under center in today's game, so every QB will have to adjust their games once they reach the NFL. That is one reason to like Andrew Luck. He does take quite a few snaps under center.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's not ground breaking to say that a QB's success depends on the situation he's in, but it will be particuarly true for RGIII transitioning from the spread. I think he's a great fit in Shanny's system in Washington, running those naked play action boots off the stretch run plays and throwing on the run. It's really not an overly complicated system with a lot of reads nor does it require pin point precision, and Griffin throws accurately on the move off of his back foot. No reason he can't be Jake Plummer with next level athleticism.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
jobberone;4430799 said:
He may turn out to be better than Luck.

*cries*

Yes. He "may" turn out to be better. In the same sense that Brandon Weedon "may" turn out to be better. That is, "anything is possible."

The fact remains, given his experience and performance in an NFL, pro style offense--his experience calling plays and reading defenses--there is a reason why he is consistently called the best QB prospect since Manning/Elway/whomever. It's because when you are projecting players, you have to make educated guesses.

And with RG3, it's a question mark because he has no experience running an NFL/pro style offense, being under center, having to make multiple reads and audibles. You cannot make an educated guess with him because there is no data to rely upon. Sure, you can say he has the skill set to do it, but you have no objective evidence of it. So, you are going on pure potential.

Any GM, overwhelmed by a mere 40 time, that would take question mark/potential QB over the best QB prospect in a decade should lose their job.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
cobra;4431264 said:
*cries*

Yes. He "may" turn out to be better. In the same sense that Brandon Weedon "may" turn out to be better. That is, "anything is possible."

The fact remains, given his experience and performance in an NFL, pro style offense--his experience calling plays and reading defenses--there is a reason why he is consistently called the best QB prospect since Manning/Elway/whomever. It's because when you are projecting players, you have to make educated guesses.

And with RG3, it's a question mark because he has no experience running an NFL/pro style offense, being under center, having to make multiple reads and audibles. You cannot make an educated guess with him because there is no data to rely upon. Sure, you can say he has the skill set to do it, but you have no objective evidence of it. So, you are going on pure potential.

Any GM, overwhelmed by a mere 40 time, that would take question mark/potential QB over the best QB prospect in a decade should lose their job.

I think RG3 will be a great QB at the pro level, but you hit the nail on the head. He has to adjust to being under center. He's very good at reading defenses, but it's different under center. I think he has the ability to do this as he a very intelligent kid. Luck is definitely the better "prospect" at this point. The reality is that they may both be busts.

Our good friends the Commanders once drafted a "Can't Miss" QB from Tennessee in Heath Schuler...

You just never know...

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
trickblue;4431274 said:
I think RG3 will be a great QB at the pro level, but you hit the nail on the head. He has to adjust to being under center. He's very good at reading defenses, but it's different under center. I think he has the ability to do this as he a very intelligent kid. Luck is definitely the better "prospect" at this point.

I basically agree. I think the guy will be good. I won't say he'll be great until I see him run an NFL offense. He certainly has the tools/disposition/intangibles to be great. He just hasn't shown it. Luck also has the tools/dispositions/intangibles to be great, but he has shown it. And that's the difference that makes Luck the better prospect.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I've argued this with other people before, but I don't think the college offense a QB runs has any bearing on the NFL QB he'll eventually become. Will Luck be more prepared from day one? Probably. But with an investment like this you're looking at much longer term than that. And almost by definition, QBs in this position are going to a bad team, so it's years two, three, four that really matter. By then, the spread QB will be fully caught up.

Now maybe if the QB were some lumbering concrete-footed oaf, coming out from under center would be a concern. But that's not Griffin, obviously.

Actually, forget that above... This is the thread where we already talked about this very thing. Pretty funny scouting from some people. :laugh2:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222548