Group of N.F.L. Owners Warns Jerry Jones and Threatens Penalties

Staubacher

Reaction score
They are quick to forget Jerry got them the great TV deals which made them all instant billions.
Pushed their franchise worth up over 100% more.

Goddell. Done nothing but having poor decisions, brought the spotlight onto the NFL, for the wrong things.

Jerrah is the smartest businessman of the whole lot. He turned a 140 million investment into a 4.2 BILLION franchise. He does not like seeing the league and hence the valuation of his business taking a nosedive. The rest of the league is on a suicide mission and they won't let Jerrry grab the gun from their heads.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Not usually the one to agree with games being rigged by the Refs. But, it wouldn't shock me if the NFL has the Refs making bad calls against Dallas on purpose, as part of the pressure to try and get Jerry to give in,

khiladi

Reaction score
Same here. Even Al Davis wasn't getting threats like this when he was suing the league regularly.

To read about this and these owners siding with Goodell despite everything that's happening and attacking Jerry Jones for being outspoken against it? It sickens me, and it shows me how out of touch and clueless these guys truly are.

But yeah, go that route. Kill the golden goose that gave you the right to print money. Drive your fans away. The fans who line your pockets. And then be clueless enough to wonder why it's all fallen down.

Social media era.. there was probably just as much going on, but people had to use mail clerks and write up letters in cursive

khiladi

Reaction score
I read a theory that the ‘menacing’ act of Goodell was a play by the owners for the next CBA. The players would be willing to ‘limit’ the Commissioner’s role, giving up more profits.

This salary issue seems to throws everything else in the back though..

Ghost12

Reaction score
Same here. Even Al Davis wasn't getting threats like this when he was suing the league regularly.

To read about this and these owners siding with Goodell despite everything that's happening and attacking Jerry Jones for being outspoken against it?
Let's be honest: Jerry Jones publicly sided with Goodell when Goodell was doing the exact same thing - to another team.

I despise the league office and I'd love to see Jones take it down, but right now it sure seems like he doesn't have much support from other owners, and that's what he needs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. It's only a matter of time until it's happening to one of them.

And I understand that Jerry didn't speak out until it affected him personally. But that doesn't change the fact that he's actually in the right.

lukin2006

Reaction score
So yesterday it was a few owners that were going to try and force him to sell, once the laughing died down from that silly suggestion, these same 6 owners are threatening other penalties...first I find it extremely hard to believe 6 owners on a compensation committee could level those penalties just because another owner is questioning/challenging, possibly suing them on how much compensation should be awarded in a contract extension, or even if a contract extension is warranted at this time...

Just silly, at a time when the playoff races should be heating up, the NFL has been dominating their headlines with owners threatening to sue/penalize a franchise, the on again, off again Elliot suspension...that any reasonable person could see was railroaded ... and maybe my favourite, the Seahawks violating the conclusion protocol with their star QB, and the league thinks that take head injuries serious???

Ken

Reaction score
Let's be honest: Jerry Jones publicly sided with Goodell when Goodell was doing the exact same thing - to another team.

I despise the league office and I'd love to see Jones take it down, but right now it sure seems like he doesn't have much support from other owners, and that's what he needs.
this is a false premise. Jerry publicly backed goodell when Hardy was suspended and when the cowboys got a Cap penalty when there was no rule for it.

There are a ton of others too. This is about RG doing irreparable harm to the league with his kneeling stance. Period.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Oh, I don't doubt that the story and the threat is credible.

Whether accurate or not, that's simply not something one says to rich, powerful people used to having their ***** kissed and getting their own way. There's diplomacy involved.
I agree with this. He isn't going to be able to bully other owners. He needs more tact IMHO.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
So now Jones suddenly has no right to sue when he feels wronged? I hope Jones and his suit kicks Goodell's butt. When most of us see BS iin the league like this suspension based on no evidence, we just have to take it. We're not rich; we're not powerful. We're just fans. But Jones is a rich and powerful man. If he needs some highly trained lawyers, he can get them. The other owners are also rich and powerful and are used to pushing people around. I'm delighted to see Jones stand up to them. Hope the end result is Goodell is gone.

Ghost12

Reaction score
this is a false premise. Jerry publicly backed goodell when Hardy was suspended and when the cowboys got a Cap penalty when there was no rule for it.

There are a ton of others too. This is about RG doing irreparable harm to the league with his kneeling stance. Period.
Don't be so naive. This is about Ezekiel Elliott and how mad Jones is about that situation. Period.

I support Jones, but it is a bit hypocritical that he supported what the Commissioner did on Article 46 when it was abusing another team. It also looks bad that the owners voted unanimously to allow the Competition Committee to extend Goodell, but now Jones changed his mind. He's using the notion that he was lied to as an excuse, but who knows how accurate that is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree. It does look hypocritical on his part. But in my opinion, that doesn't make Jones' position wrong.

I think he's in the right here.

And the other owners who have already been wronged should be standing up next to him. Unlike them, Jones at least has the guts to fight.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Everyone says Jerry sided with goodell when it was the Pats, and publicly he did, I think he did it because some of the other owners got in his ear and talked him back from the edge that time. Personally I think he was probably mad then, mad when he took the cap penalty but I think he had a few owners that he valued their opinions that told him to back off

khiladi

Reaction score
Exactly. It's only a matter of time until it's happening to one of them.

And I understand that Jerry didn't speak out until it affected him personally. But that doesn't change the fact that he's actually in the right.

This is a myth. Opposition to Goodell’s salary goes back years, Benson opposes it back in the day as well. Jerry was raising this issue the beginning of this the way before the Zeke issue saw the light of day.

I take the position that Zeke is punished precisely because the Goodell clan was trying to use it as leverage to get Jones to bend. That is probably what Jones is referring to when he said Goodell told him sometime during the year Goodell wasn’t going to get suspended.

Reactions: Ken

khiladi

Reaction score
Everyone says Jerry sided with goodell when it was the Pats, and publicly he did, I think he did it because some of the other owners got in his ear and talked him back from the edge that time. Personally I think he was probably mad then, mad when he took the cap penalty but I think he had a few owners that he valued their opinions that told him to back off

Difference is:

Deflategate upset owners and dealt with the integrity of the game. And some sort of punishment had to be doled out to appease the owners and yet public. Brady was the least path of resistance.

Brady destroyed his phones for example.

None of this can be said did Zeke, which was a farce from the beginning.

In the case of Brady, the NFL ignored evidence that Brady was tampering with evidence, while in this case the NFL ignored evidence that exonerated Zeke.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I think you missed the point. I was treating the two Jerry personas as two different people completely detached from each other meaning when talking about Jerry-the-Owner, there is no Jerry-the-GM, and vice-versa.

I gotcha, but an owner that would hire such an incompetent GM and keep him after all of the GM's failures, is not a good owner IMHO.

Ghost12

Reaction score
So now Jones suddenly has no right to sue when he feels wronged?
He forfeited that right when he joined the NFL as an owner - at least on paper. Now whether or not he actually does sue is yet to be seen, but I just don't see it as something he will actually do.
I hope Jones and his suit kicks Goodell's butt.
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you want him to sue for? He can't sue on Elliott's behalf. Elliott has already done that (and lost). But even suing about Goodell's compensation can only go so far. If 24 owners support something, there really isn't anything the other 8 can do, and I am not even so sure Jones has 8 in his corner (including himself)...
When most of us see BS iin the league like this suspension based on no evidence, we just have to take it. We're not rich; we're not powerful. We're just fans. But Jones is a rich and powerful man. If he needs some highly trained lawyers, he can get them. The other owners are also rich and powerful and are used to pushing people around. I'm delighted to see Jones stand up to them. Hope the end result is Goodell is gone.
That's what I would like too, but I think the only thing he will do is huff and puff and try to sway public opinion.