Group of N.F.L. Owners Warns Jerry Jones and Threatens Penalties

khiladi

Reaction score
And yet none of them utilized their vote.

Sorry, doesn't and never will add up.

What are you taking about?

Entering into negotiations doesn’t mean approval of a salary range of 50 million dollars for an incentive based salary..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was in a radio interview a couple of weeks ago when this first came out. Go find it, i already heard it.

So, nothing then? Got it.
:thumbup:
Exactly as expected.

There's your "fake news".
:facepalm:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you taking about?

Entering into negotiations doesn’t mean approval of a salary range of 50 million dollars for an incentive based salary..

Seriously? You don't think parameters came up?
:lmao:
You think that 32 owners signed off on a blank check?

If anyone had any issues at that time, that was their opportunity to voice them and show them, with their vote. None did.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Revenues, ratings are way down, and public perception continues to drop. I've talked to many fellow fan s who are actively boycotting watching at this point.
I'm not actively boycotting, but I sure as heck am watching less. Now, in all fairness, for me "watching less" means I usually watch on Sunday from noon to 7 because there is so much going on.... but I find myself blowing off the night games (Thurs, Sun, Mon) if the matchup doesn't really appeal to me and have even turned off the TV after the noon game a couple times. That may not seem like much but trust me; a couple years ago I would have considered such a thing unheard of.
I'd rather they keep it than to give in to the ridiculous demands of an incompetent buffoon. Rome is burning and Nero wants a raise? Oh, and a plane and healthcare for life too! Sickening.
Well said.

khiladi

Reaction score
Seriously? You don't think parameters came up?
:lmao:
You think that 32 owners signed off on a blank check?

If anyone had any issues at that time, that was their opportunity to voice them and show them, with their vote. None did.

And yet, the extension isn’t going through because owners are not agreeing to it.. you seriously think that the committee couldn’t get it done if all the owners outside Jerry agreed to the asking range of Goodell...

I don’t even get what your point is when you don’t think Goodell deserves that pay, considering the state of the league right now. Like Jerry said also, Goodell hasn’t even finished 40% of his contract and taking into account he current state if the NFL as of THIS YEAR and SEASON and Goodell’s salary is technically INCENTIVE based, there is no need for approving such an extension anyways. Goodell has got out lies multiple times in the context of various negotiations, so who really cares other than Jerry is doing what is best for the league overall..

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not actively boycotting, but I sure as heck am watching less. Now, in all fairness, for me "watching less" means I usually watch on Sunday from noon to 7 because there is so much going on.... but I find myself blowing off the night games (Thurs, Sun, Mon) if the matchup doesn't really appeal to me and have even turned off the TV after the noon game a couple times. That may not seem like much but trust me; a couple years ago I would have considered such a thing unheard of.

I'm still watching, but my enthusiasm is waning, and quickly reaching a breaking point. If nothing changes, I could see myself finding something else to do with my time and money. I'd rather do that than be a sheep going along with this nonsense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And yet, the extension isn’t going through because owners are not agreeing to it.. you seriously think that the committee couldn’t get it done if all the owners outside Jerry agreed to the asking range of Goodell...

That's not what I'm claiming. I'm refuting your false contention that owners had issues before, when their actual votes on the matter said the total opposite.

Ghost12

Reaction score
No, they approved to negotiate.. they didn’t approve the salary demands.
There was no specific number at the time, but every single report on the matter says they authorized (by a 32-0 vote) the compensation committee to negotiate, finalize, and sign a deal. Not merely "negotiate". Even Jones himself is not denying this.

"Back in May, Jones was one of the owners leading the charge in empowering the compensation committee to go forward with a new deal for Goodell, whose current deal expires in 2019. And Jones was among those voting through the resolution, by a 32-0 count, to grant the committee full authority to do a deal."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/08/jerry-jones-cowboys-lawsuit-nfl-owners-roger-goodell-contract

khiladi

Reaction score
That's not what I'm claiming. I'm refuting your false contention that owners had issues before, when their actual votes on the matter said the total opposite.

I said issue for his HIGH SALARY go back way before, not whether or not they tolerate him as commissioner. And I gave you an article from three years if you bothered to read it that says this very thing.

khiladi

Reaction score
There was no specific number at the time, but every single report on the matter says they authorized (by a 32-0 vote) the compensation committee full authority to negotiate, finalize, and sign a deal. Not merely "negotiate". Even Jones himself is not denying this.

"Back in May, Jones was one of the owners leading the charge in empowering the compensation committee to go forward with a new deal for Goodell, whose current deal expires in 2019. And Jones was among those voting through the resolution, by a 32-0 count, to grant the committee full authority to do a deal."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/08/jerry-jones-cowboys-lawsuit-nfl-owners-roger-goodell-contract

Going forward to negotiate does not mean they agreed to a nonsensical salary and at this time also, Jerry was a ‘de facto member’ of the committee anyways, but just got kicked out, though it seems the Texans owner agrees with Jerry.. so assuming that all the owners approved it without Jerry in the discussion of those compensation committee discussions is not true anyways..

TheGoat73

Reaction score
If they take draft picks I am done. You can count on that. I'll never watch another NFL game.

I’ll pack all our Cowboys stuff up and mail it to the NFL. Fan gear for six people, gonna be a big box.

I’ve had more fun watching football on Friday and Saturday lately anyway. AND, I have a chance in Hades of scoring tickets for those.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I have no issue with the owners agreeing to negotiate a deal since a sitting commish has "history" to showing his ability. I also do not have an issue if the owners also wanted to find a fall back position. I do not think the owners would have agreed to negotiate if Goodell came out back then asking for 50 mill and a private jet for life. As far as I am concerned a negotiation ends one of two ways either a deal is struck or a deal is not struck.

links18

Reaction score
So how would this work--who gets a vote on whether Jerry faces sanctions? All owners? Just the compensation committee? Goodell?

khiladi

Reaction score
I’ll pack all our Cowboys stuff up and mail it to the NFL. Fan gear for six people, gonna be a big box.

I’ve had more fun watching football on Friday and Saturday lately anyway. AND, I have a chance in Hades of scoring tickets for those.

Cowboys merchandise profits goes specifically to Jerry..

jrumann59

Reaction score
So how would this work--who gets a vote on whether Jerry faces sanctions? All owners? Just the compensation committee? Goodell?
I could be wrong but I think it would require 2/3 vote of all owners for a nuclear option as this, then it would have to survive litigation.

khiladi

Reaction score
I have no issue with the owners agreeing to negotiate a deal since a sitting commish has "history" to showing his ability. I also do not have an issue if the owners also wanted to find a fall back position. I do not think the owners would have agreed to negotiate if Goodell came out back then asking for 50 mill and a private jet for life. As far as I am concerned a negotiation ends one of two ways either a deal is struck or a deal is not struck.

Jerry was an honorary seventh member of the compensation committee anyways during this whole time.. so if it went back to the compensation committee via 32 owners it was with Jerry their as well in those meetings..he wasn’t sitting in on the meetings for fun..

People also miss this point..

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Well said.

Yup. I watch the Cowboys ONLY now. I used to watch a lot of other games out of curiosity. Now I rarely do that. I did peak in at the 9ers/Giants game when I heard the 9ers were beating them, but I watched for all of 5 minutes.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I suppose the answer to the question rests with whether Jones is being honest when he says Blank promised unanimity within the committee before a deal was completed and whether there is unanimity. If I read correctly, which is not a given, Jones contends the committee was given a blank check only if all the committee members agreed to the terms and implies that isn't the case. Again, I might have misread or misinterpreted; after all, I am an incarcerated Mr. Peanut.

Given changed circumstances the past few months, one would think the league would be wise to go back to the owners for another vote even if it isn't legally necessary; a vote of confidence, if you will. I wonder if that's not Jones' aim -- to force a vote of confidence that might not achieve a majority but could yield a large enough minority to make things difficult for the brazen commissioner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said issue for his HIGH SALARY go back way before, not whether or not they tolerate him as commissioner. And I gave you an article from three years if you bothered to read it that says this very thing.

Again, if the issues went back three years, the vote wouldn't have been unanimous. Parameters are clearly and obviously discussed before the Compensation Committee is authorized.