Group of N.F.L. Owners Warns Jerry Jones and Threatens Penalties

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a myth. Opposition to Goodell’s salary goes back years, Benson opposes it back in the day as well. Jerry was raising this issue the beginning of this the way before the Zeke issue saw the light of day.

If so, how was the extension unanimously approved by all 32 teams earlier this year? I mean since it "goes back years"?

:huh:

I take the position that Zeke is punished precisely because the Goodell clan was trying to use it as leverage to get Jones to bend. That is probably what Jones is referring to when he said Goodell told him sometime during the year Goodell wasn’t going to get suspended.

Now I see the "myth".

jrumann59

Reaction score
Difference is:

Deflategate upset owners and dealt with the integrity of the game. And some sort of punishment had to be doled out to appease the owners and yet public. Brady was the least path of resistance.

None of this can be said did Zeke, which was a farce from the beginning.
I agree that Zeke situation is farce. Deflategate was a farce also could the pats have doen something hinky probably, my guess is they deflated balls at room temp to league mins and let the ref inspect and let thermodynamics takes it course. But I also believe that Goodell has a Cadre of owners that he is loyal to because I think some of the most recent ownership changes were greased by Goodell because he was making something on the front end.

khiladi

Reaction score
If so, how was the extension unanimously approved by all 32 teams earlier this year? I mean since it "goes back years"?

Now I see the "myth".

I quoted the GQ article a couple years back about how Goodell’s salary was an issue among owners with Kraft being its biggest advocate. And articles from early this year about Jerry raising this issue, before the Zeke issue took hold.

Goodell rarely went out front to face tough interviews. But Kraft was one of Goodell’s closest confidants among the NFL’s thirty-two owners, and his fiercest advocate and defender. As a member of the league’s compensation committee, Kraft has vigorously defended Goodell’s eye-popping $44 million pay package, and in the wake of the TMZ leak, he personally called owners and lobbied them to issue statements backing the commissioner, according to a senior league source. So large is Kraft’s sway with Goodell that one veteran NFL ecutive likes to call him "the assistant commissioner."

https://www.gq.com/story/roger-goodell-season-from-hell?currentPage=1

Nobody in their right mind, unless they have done connections to Goodell are approving that high a salary. Plus, I believe this compensation committee deals with not just the Commussioner but NFL office in general.

Of course the NFL office leaks information as well.. it’s clear 32 owners aren’t approving that salary otherwise it would be a done deal.. and what the ‘approval’ allegedly was for was not the salary, but to send it back to the compensation committee to decide.. and Jerry was a ‘de facto member’ at that point, it wasn’t six big seven.. he supposedly just hit kicked out..

Ken

Reaction score

Now I see the "myth".
Fake news. Unanimous vote of the compensation committee is not all 32 teams. Clearly Jones did not agree going back to April.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I quoted the GQ article a couple years back about how Goodell’s salary was an issue among owners with Kraft being its biggest advocate. And articles from early this year about Jerry raising this issue, before the Zeke issue took hold.

https://www.gq.com/story/roger-goodell-season-from-hell?currentPage=1

Nobody in their right mind, unless they have done connections to Goodell are approving that high a salary. Plus, I believe this compensation committee deals with not just the Commussioner but NFL office in general.

Of course the NFL office leaks information as well.. it’s clear 32 owners aren’t approving that salary otherwise it would be a done deal.. and what the ‘approval’ allegedly was for was not the salary, but to send it back to the compensation committee to decide.. and Jerry was a ‘de facto member’ at that point, it wasn’t six big seven.. he supposedly just hit kicked out..

The fact is that when these owners that you claim had an issue had the chance to vote their disapleasure, not a single one did. Instead, they voted to authorize the Compensation Committee to enter into negotiations for a new deal. That doesn't add up at all.

Ghost12

Reaction score

This surprised me. Jones isn't the only owner who has been angry at Goodell. New England is the obvious candidate, but you also have teams like Miami, New Orleans and Kansas City who have, in the past, felt they were treated unfairly.

I personally don't care how much they pay him. It's money that either goes to Goodell or the owners keep in their own pockets, but I just don't understand why they are giving him so much. If compensation was up to me, I'd say "You're getting $5 million, take it or leave it, and if that's not enough, we will find someone better." (Of course, if it was actually up to me, I'd fire him in a heartbeat)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fake news. Unanimous vote of the compensation committee is not all 32 teams. Clearly Jones did not agree going back to April.

Do your homework before you try to speak on things you obviously don't know about.
:facepalm:

khiladi

Reaction score
The actual salary of Goodell is ‘incentive’ based and Jerry actually wants it to be incentive based. There had been issues for years about how his performance had been measured, particularly now with ratings down and so on.

khiladi

Reaction score
The fact is that when these owners that you claim had an issue had the chance to vote their disapleasure, not a single one did. Instead, they voted to authorize the Compensation Committee to enter into negotiations for a new deal. That doesn't add up at all.

And Jerry was on the board at that time a de facto member in the negotiations. There is a difference between saying it was agreed to negotiate and the owners supposedly collectively decided the salary is set.

And now we know this claim of 32 owners outside Jerry are not collectively agreed on the decision..

Ghost12

Reaction score
It's not fake news. Back in May, ownership voted unanimously (32-0) to authorize the Compensation Committee to negotiate and approve an extension for Goodell.

Jerry is trying to get out of that by saying he was lied to.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This surprised me. Jones isn't the only owner who has been angry at Goodell. New England is the obvious candidate, but you also have teams like Miami, New Orleans and Kansas City who have, in the past, felt they were treated unfairly.

Same here. I can't see how a majority of owners can possibly be happy with how things are being run. Not just affecting them directly with penalties, suspensions, or sanctions, but outside of that.

Revenues, ratings are way down, and public perception continues to drop. I've talked to many fellow fan s who are actively boycotting watching at this point. All while Goodell does nothing to fix it. How anyone can sign up for more of that is beyond me.

I personally don't care how much they pay him. It's money that either goes to Goodell or the owners keep in their own pockets, but I just don't understand why they are giving him so much. If compensation was up to me, I'd say "You're getting $5 million, take it or leave it, and if that's not enough, we will find someone better." (Of course, if it was actually up to me, I'd fire him in a heartbeat)

I'd rather they keep it than to give in to the ridiculous demands of an incompetent buffoon. Rome is burning and Nero wants a raise? Oh, and a plane and healthcare for life too! Sickening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Jerry was on the board at that time a de facto member in the negotiations. There is a difference between saying it was agreed to negotiate and the owners supposedly collectively decided the salary is set.

And now we know this claim of 32 owners outside Jerry are not collectively agreed on the decision..

I'm not claiming anyone agreed to a number, only that 32 teams signed off on negotiations for an extension for Goodell. And that runs contrary to claims that teams wanted him out before.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
He forfeited that right when he joined the NFL as an owner - at least on paper. Now whether or not he actually does sue is yet to be seen, but I just don't see it as something he will actually do.
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you want him to sue for? He can't sue on Elliott's behalf. Elliott has already done that (and lost). But even suing about Goodell's compensation can only go so far. If 24 owners support something, there really isn't anything the other 8 can do, and I am not even so sure Jones has 8 in his corner (including himself)...
That's what I would like too, but I think the only thing he will do is huff and puff and try to sway public opinion.

Any result that results in Goodell being gone is a result I like.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did....Jones said it didn't happen. What is your evidence?

32 votes.

That's all the "evidence" anyone needs.

Show me your "evidence" where Jones says a unanimous vote didn't happen.

I'll wait.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm not claiming anyone agreed to a number, only that 32 teams signed off on negotiations for an extension for Goodell. And that runs contrary to claims that teams wanted him out before.

There is no claim that owners wanted him out. The claim was that owners disagreed with a huge salary, particularly since the salary is incentive-based..

Even Jerry has said he doesn’t want Goodell out. Maybe he does now with the Zeke issue, but that’s a different point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no claim that owners wanted him out. The claim was that owners disagreed with a huge salary, particularly since the salary is incentive-based..

And yet none of them utilized their vote.

Sorry, doesn't and never will add up.

Ken

Reaction score
32 votes.

That's all the "evidence" anyone needs.

Show me your "evidence" where Jones says a unanimous vote didn't happen.

I'll wait.
It was in a radio interview a couple of weeks ago when this first came out. Go find it, i already heard it.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's not fake news. Back in May, ownership voted unanimously (32-0) to authorize the Compensation Committee to negotiate and approve an extension for Goodell.

Jerry is trying to get out of that by saying he was lied to.

No, they approved to negotiate.. they didn’t approve the salary demands.