Hardest Hitters in Cowboys History

gtb1943

Reaction score
Old enough to remember Chuck Howley. He is right up there. Cliff Harris and Roy Williams/Darren Woodson.

Sad now the NFL is the pansy league.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agreed.. targeting is stupid, unless its spearing etc or an obvious hit to the head but eh whole launching or intent part of irt is simply football! also the blind side block rule also stupid.. how are you defenseless when football players know they are all targets on the football field they're playing a game at full speed that's one of the most violent games on the planet and somehow they're defenseless that they don't know they're about to be hit??!

I mean are you kidding me all those rules are stupid and they're going to take the hip drop away which is one of the only ways to bring a guy down now they're giving defenders about 6 inches of a man's body front and back to bring him down or just give up a big chunk play or take a penalty... Part of the draw of watching football was the tackling and the hits and the great blocks made by these guys that they could do something that none of us ever could even those who played sports in high school we never could be these guys that is why we watch and yet they're taking it all out I do not want to see flag football I don't like flag football I've never sat and watched one of those games on TV I don't care how popular it is it is not for me that is not football....

So while I agree they need to keep safety in the game and make sure the players are protected from dirty truly dirty hits you know they have intent to take a guy out but this whole thing that they just keep adding more and more if you can't hit a guy here and you're not allowed to do this and that it's basically taking all of what football is away from most fans and players for that matter... You're ruining guys careers guys that could do special things you're telling them they're not allowed to do that anymore...
Blue, I hear you that I miss the hard hitting days of football.

But here’s the thing…If the NFL, college and HS football did not change the rules regarding hitting around the head and neck area, football would be in existential danger. All of the medical research of the last 20 years is clear- continual blows to the head and neck area is extremely dangerous to the health and safety for all those who play football.

Those rules changes had to happen or there would no football in the long term future. I used to be a school administrator and I can tell you from my experience, the number of parents allowing their sons to play football was declining because of the dangers they saw. Those rules changes helped assure some mamas that their sons were not in as much danger.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Blue, I hear you that I miss the hard hitting days of football.

But here’s the thing…If the NFL, college and HS football did not change the rules regarding hitting around the head and neck area, football would be in existential danger. All of the medical research of the last 20 years is clear- continual blows to the head and neck area is extremely dangerous to the health and safety for all those who play football.

Those rules changes had to happen or there would no football in the long term future. I used to be a school administrator and I can tell you from my experience, the number of parents allowing their sons to play football was declining because of the dangers they saw. Those rules changes helped assure some mamas that their sons were not in as much danger.
but you missed half my post the head stuff i understand!!

the targeting that doesn't have anything with head neck area ie defenseless players nonsense, the blind side block nonsense i don't consider that defenses at all....you should expect any and all of that, i mean seriously what is a receiver defenseless going up for a football, high sure but he knows what's coming, cant allow a free catch , defenders job is to try to make it hard to complete pass, now its oh they are defenseless, since when? at the snap they knew they would be defended!!! , ohh and now all the defenders have to find way not to tackle the QB normally, don't put any weight on them at all last i checked also called a real tackle putting weight on players is part of a tackle etc stupid flat out, thats just aggressive, same with the hip drop in their targets, thats a tackle, nothing dirty maybe the players need to fall when touched ie flags with the flag.,ughh

so, in short you should be able to grab anything outside the helmet to make a tackle low high or sideways, includes the horse collar, its part of the way to bring a guy down not by the head or facemask. these are the rules most of us do NOT agree with in the PRO GAME..paid millions to play this game for the fans and taking aggression out of a sport known to be aggressive, isnt sitting well with me.

NOT Dirty, just what we know and always known to be football plays..

FVSTONE

Reaction score
in your opinion who was the hardest hitters in Cowboys History?
Woody?Roy? Bates?
Nope, the top hitter, the enforcer, the man who nobody wanted a piece of, the man who put a beatdown on the great Reggie White that would be the GREAT Erik Williams!!!!!!!!!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
in your opinion who was the hardest hitters in Cowboys History?
Woody?Roy? Bates?
Roy Williams
Eugene Lockhart
* Cliff Harris
Darren Woodson
Bill Bates
Ken Norton Jr.
James Washington
Rolando McClain
Thomas Henderson
Dexter Coakley
Sean Lee
Thomas Everett
Ken Hamlin

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
you mean the game roomed him they just took away the aggressiveness that's all he had was he was a downhill linebacker that can knock your teeth out and if you went over the middle he was gonna make you pay they took that away that was his game he wasn't a finesse guy he wasn't a student of the game he wasn't a good coverage guy but if you came in his area he was he was rattling your brain.... It was a sign that the NFL was taking that away or I think he would have stayed here and been a lot better than he's getting credit for I mean I hated the guy coming out of college I'm a Longhorns fan the dude single handedly ruined a lot of our games.... Like I said not a student of the game type linebacker like Sean Lee or some of the smarter ones but that dude was a straight up football player and I'm voting him I don't remember a lot of other guys but from memory he's the hardest hitter and mean and he did it intentionally..
To clarify, he played safety, but hit like a LB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
but you missed half my post the head stuff i understand!!

the targeting that doesn't have anything with head neck area ie defenseless players nonsense, the blind side block nonsense i don't consider that defenses at all....you should expect any and all of that, i mean seriously what is a receiver defenseless going up for a football, high sure but he knows what's coming, cant allow a free catch , defenders job is to try to make it hard to complete pass, now its oh they are defenseless, since when? at the snap they knew they would be defended!!! , ohh and now all the defenders have to find way not to tackle the QB normally, don't put any weight on them at all last i checked also called a real tackle putting weight on players is part of a tackle etc stupid flat out, thats just aggressive, same with the hip drop in their targets, thats a tackle, nothing dirty maybe the players need to fall when touched ie flags with the flag.,ughh

so, in short you should be able to grab anything outside the helmet to make a tackle low high or sideways, includes the horse collar, its part of the way to bring a guy down not by the head or facemask. these are the rules most of us do NOT agree with in the PRO GAME..paid millions to play this game for the fans and taking aggression out of a sport known to be aggressive, isnt sitting well with me.

NOT Dirty, just what we know and always known to be football plays..
Definitely understand. Survival was an added element when I came up all the way from Junior High in Texas. Cheap shots going back to the huddle were something else...lol.

Forearms into an opposing lineman's face mask was a legitimate technique for a linebacker if you were then able to survive the remainder of the game with that team. Hitting that lineman coming out his stance on a running play with the crown of one' helmet was another technique. He stood right up like an angry bear but you then were by him making a play and all he saw was your speed getting by him...

Wixie

Reaction score
Hands-down, not even close is James “Hit Man” Washington…. for you youngsters that never saw this guy play go back and watch some tape, hardest hitter we ever had.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
That Roy Williams hit on Rod Smith in the pro bowl. Ouch

rynochop

Reaction score
It wasn't Kelly, it was religion. He broke it off with Rowlands because of religion.
That's when he stopped hitting as well. I remember him going on Jim Romes show, he had missed a previous interview, and spent most of the interview apologizing. Stood out to me for some reason