Twitter: Helman makes his case for Dak as 4th highest paid QB

Sydla

Reaction score
Ah good try buddy but this argument has been debunked already. Being a top 10 qb is much more valuable than being a top 5 DE. The importance of the position and the rarity of people who can do it causes the QB market to be played different and QB’s to be valued differently.

As for your second part, waiting on D-Law wasn’t a terrible decision because he had injury concerns, remember he had 8 sacks in year 2, they weren’t worried about his work ethic/talent/ potential. So you kinda bite the bullet there with the extra money being paid.

But as I said in my original response, for those of us who believe Dak has more room to grow, and understand his work ethic and preparation bode well for that projection; we have no concerns about his ability and growth. And since he’s so durable obviously no one is questioning that like with D-Law.

Why not save 5-7M, when you know you have multiple guys needing new deals and every dollar counts?

And that value is built into the salaries, hence why QBs make more money. But it also doesn't mean you should pay a QB that arguably isnt a Top 10 QB what could be a Top 3 contract right now. People are making that argument simply because they are emotionally invested in this.

You asked, why not save 5-7MM? Because I understand that having to come up with $5MM more a year is worthwhile risk to prevent yourself from having a league average QB making $30MM or more a year for the next 3-4-5 years.

If the Cowboys HAD to sign him now, I'd feel differently and likely be on board with some of these contract guesses. But the Cowboys don't have to do anything right now and they have the cap flexibility to eat a few million by waiting it out to give them a much better idea of what they are getting for $150MM or more.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cam, Wentz n Goff get paid...their young, Top 2 draft picks, face of franchise guys and have lead SB teams (*Wentz). They get paid top dollar.

Then you got old guys like Rivers n Manning who have young backups the teams can play without breaking the bank on guys close to retirement. Not paying these guys, move on.

Winston n Mariota...hit the FA market.

What are the skills Dak brings to the QB position? Nobody wants to hear "intangibles", "leader" unless it's accompanied by accuracy, quick release, reads the field. C'mon fellas those things are starting to sound like generic default descriptions. What do you see in his game? Just interested to hear...
Winning. Duh.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And who would be the other two? I am generally curious now.

Brady was the other one with a reputation for being a really strong leader on top of everything else that makes him an all-time great. And Foles was the other guy I was thinking of whose leadership surpasses his physical ability the way Dak’s does.

Sydla

Reaction score
Brady was the other one with a reputation for being a really strong leader on top of everything else that makes him an all-time great. And Foles was the other guy I was thinking of whose leadership surpasses his physical ability the way Dak’s does.

Foles?

He was popular but I'd hardly put him in this situation where he's one of the three best leaders in the NFL. He was actually not exactly a big hit when in LA. Some people thought he was kind of aloof, almost in a Sam Bradford kind of way.

I think a guy like Brees and even Phillip Rivers are much better leaders than Nick Foles and Prescott.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think how this will play into the agents' hands for the other QB's that are considered Tier 1.

At some point the owners are going to have to get this under control or the cap will have to grow by 10-12M a season every season. All the while, the best value QB in the game just keeps winning SB's. Think Belichick isn't chuckling to himself every time he sees one of these deals?

Just how many teams can stand "too much to too few" and contend? They better be drafting demons and be damned lucky in the injury department.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And those two are lifters, they make the offense better around them. Prescott isn't a lifter yet but he could be. All he has to do is get the ball in his playmakers' hands and he comes with the added benefit of being able to run and needs to use that more to keep the DC honest.

817Gill

Reaction score
And that value is built into the salaries, hence why QBs make more money. But it also doesn't mean you should pay a QB that arguably isnt a Top 10 QB what could be a Top 3 contract right now. People are making that argument simply because they are emotionally invested in this.

You asked, why not save 5-7MM? Because I understand that having to come up with $5MM more a year is worthwhile risk to prevent yourself from having a league average QB making $30MM or more a year for the next 3-4-5 years.

If the Cowboys HAD to sign him now, I'd feel differently and likely be on board with some of these contract guesses. But the Cowboys don't have to do anything right now and they have the cap flexibility to eat a few million by waiting it out to give them a much better idea of what they are getting for $150MM or more.
A top 3 contract now that would be out of the top 7 in two years. If you get Dak for 29-30 now, he’ll be behind Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Newton, and possibly Mariota and Winston. Most of these guys will have new deals by the start of the 2020 season, so we aren’t even including the 2017 QB class who will also surpass him.

Again, you’re assuming Dak will be an average performer. The FO has seen him in the building for 3 years and are convicted (as am I) that he is the guy and will improve on his games like many qb’s are able to do. Once you’re convinced of that there is ZERO advantage or reason to wait another season and pay more $$.

Plus waiting another season opens you up to market changes. If the rams sign Goff before Dak and the eagles sign Wentz, they will both be at or near the highest paid QB’s in the game. They could range anywhere between 34-38 M. This could push a Dak contract into the 40’s, would you want this same argument then? Plus if the Chiefs sign Mahomes before the team gets Dak, that number could be even crazier.

Once you’re sold that someone’s your guy, there’s no incentive to putting yourself at the mercy of the market and other teams QB deals. The issue again is that you aren’t sold, while the ones that write the checks are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care what they pay him, just get it done so we can vent and move on. Damn, how many articles can they have about the same subject?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Or you could let him play the 2019 season under his existing contract, see if he’s progressed further then tag him or sign him long term in 2020.

There is no gun to their heads to get this done now.
You have it in your mind that Prescott isn't good enough right now. The staff thinks he's the franchise QB, so it would make more sense to extend him now before the market goes up and other QBs who's contract are soon to be due will be higher than if you extend him now.

That's really the difference. You're not sure and the staff is.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think how this will play into the agents' hands for the other QB's that are considered Tier 1.

At some point the owners are going to have to get this under control or the cap will have to grow by 10-12M a season every season. All the while, the best value QB in the game just keeps winning SB's. Think Belichick isn't chuckling to himself every time he sees one of these deals?

Just how many teams can stand "too much to too few" and contend? They better be drafting demons and be damned lucky in the injury department.
Knowing the Cheatriots, they're probably paying Brady extra under the table.:lmao:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see you have no answer...cool.
As cool as 32-16 with 2 playoff appearances, 2 division titles and a playoff win. He plays well in the postseason too. Forget the other crap. Dak Prescott is a winner. You can't deny it. You just wish you could.

Sydla

Reaction score
A top 3 contract now that would be out of the top 7 in two years. If you get Dak for 29-30 now, he’ll be behind Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Newton, and possibly Mariota and Winston. Most of these guys will have new deals by the start of the 2020 season, so we aren’t even including the 2017 QB class who will also surpass him.

Again, you’re assuming Dak will be an average performer. The FO has seen him in the building for 3 years and are convicted (as am I) that he is the guy and will improve on his games like many qb’s are able to do. Once you’re convinced of that there is ZERO advantage or reason to wait another season and pay more $$.

Plus waiting another season opens you up to market changes. If the rams sign Goff before Dak and the eagles sign Wentz, they will both be at or near the highest paid QB’s in the game. They could range anywhere between 34-38 M. This could push a Dak contract into the 40’s, would you want this same argument then? Plus if the Chiefs sign Mahomes before the team gets Dak, that number could be even crazier.

Once you’re sold that someone’s your guy, there’s no incentive to putting yourself at the mercy of the market and other teams QB deals. The issue again is that you aren’t sold, while the ones that write the checks are.

For starters, I am not assuming anything on how Dak will play going forward. I've said multiple times he could be great in 2019 and at that point, I'd willingly pay him the $33MM or so it would cost. I simply am looking at ways to minimize the risk. Sure, minimizing risk may cost you a bit in the long run but that's far better than waking up in 2020 and realizing you are paying a 12-15th ranked QB a contract of $150MM.

No QB is getting to the $40MM range in the next year. There is also little chance Mahomes will sign a new deal after his third year, the Chiefs want his cost friendly contract for at least another two years.

Little Jr

Reaction score

The past 5 years it has gone up 10-12m. Nothing but the new t.v. deal will slow it down. And that will onky slow it down until the next one kicks in. Last time it was a 3 year period where it only went up 3m in 3 years .

Mr_437

Reaction score
As cool as 32-16 with 2 playoff appearances, 2 division titles and a playoff win. He plays well in the postseason too. Forget the other crap. Dak Prescott is a winner. You can't deny it. You just wish you could.
How does he win? Sheesh.
For the slow ppl...to win a player needs a skill to get that result. What is his skill?

I don't wish or deny anything regarding Dak, I have no ill feelings toward him. Your hunting where there's no hunt.

Little Jr

Reaction score
For starters, I am not assuming anything on how Dak will play going forward. I've said multiple times he could be great in 2019 and at that point, I'd willingly pay him the $33MM or so it would cost. I simply am looking at ways to minimize the risk. Sure, minimizing risk may cost you a bit in the long run but that's far better than waking up in 2020 and realizing you are paying a 12-15th ranked QB a contract of $150MM.

No QB is getting to the $40MM range in the next year. There is also little chance Mahomes will sign a new deal after his third year, the Chiefs want his cost friendly contract for at least another two years.
I tend to agree with the 40m but I won't say no way. Last year the top was 28m, now its 35m for a 7m raise. Going to 40m would only be a 5m jump.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Knowing the Cheatriots, they're probably paying Brady extra under the table.:lmao:
Or a deal already made like Elway has in DEN. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Brady's smart and he's watched everything Belichick has done and is the most logical to sustain that type of management.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tend to agree with the 40m but I won't say no way. Last year the top was 28m, now its 35m for a 7m raise. Going to 40m would only be a 5m jump.
It's going because that's the ego position in the game and how they keep score.

817Gill

Reaction score

Again the difference starts with how one views Dak. If you’re in the same camp as the FO, you believe Dak is the guy and will keep improving and being the leader you know he is, then there is no logic in waiting. It’s simply waiting to pay more money for something you would have been fine buying for cheaper.

As for what Goff and Wentz would make, the high in the market right now is 34 for Russ. Wentz and Goff would both top that and if you dispute that then you’re back to not understanding how the qb market works. 36-38M will be what those guys see, if indeed Dak plays well next year he’ll be asking for more, putting him at or near 40M.

No reason to pay that extra money whatsoever, if you’re sold on Dak. Since you’re not sold, you won’t agree with the FO decision until you are sold on Dak. Until then, I hope you see the clear logical basis for signing him now if you’re sold like the FO is.