Twitter: Helman makes his case for Dak as 4th highest paid QB

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I love how the author throws in "you don't have to like it."

Yeah, I don't matter. I get it. I have been voicing sports opinions for decades and never seen people saying "fans don't matter" as much as the "give Dak a lot of money" people.

Regardless, I personally don't care how much money Jerry gives Dak. He could give him a trillion dollars on the side for all I care. The only reason I care is because I'm a Cowboys fan and there is a cap in the NFL. Giving the 4th highest contract to the 20th best QB is not conducive to putting a winning team on the field.

And no, regular season record is not an individual accomplishment. Jeff Heath didn't "lead" the team to the playoffs. We evaluate players based on how they perform relative to their peers. Dak is rather . . . meh in that regard.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Yeah, I don't matter. I get it. I have been voicing sports opinions for decades and never seen people saying "fans don't matter" as much as the "give Dak a lot of money" people.

Regardless, I personally don't care how much money Jerry gives Dak. He could give him a trillion dollars on the side for all I care. The only reason I care is because I'm a Cowboys fan and there is a cap in the NFL. Giving the 4th highest contract to the 20th best QB is not conducive to putting a winning team on the field.

LOL....so you do care..

And no, regular season record is not an individual accomplishment. Jeff Heath didn't "lead" the team to the playoffs. We evaluate players based on how they perform relative to their peers. Dak is rather . . . meh in that regard.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

He's better than 20th stop.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
All Dak does is win.

Tell that to the Rams...

maxresdefault.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We won’t be able to resign Zeke and/or Coop if Dak is making 30 million per. I guarantee one of them walks within the next 2 years.

And they are both light years better than Dak.

Not gonna matter. You will only be asked why you care about what these players make. Can't win that argument.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Name of the game is championships. I don't really care who inspires what and neither should the fan base or the team. Win a championship and then talk about record deals. You don't do that, you shouldn't be paid like you have. I mean, this isn't hard. I feel like people believe that fans are just going to be there, no matter what. I guess I just don't believe that. I mean, as hard as it is to believe (perhaps it's naivete' on my part), I think that the fan base is much closer then many think to just throwing their hands up and finding something else. I mean, we are coming up on 25 years now, since we've even been to an NFC Championship, not won a Championship but even been to one. I believe that if Dak is not able to win a Championship, he is going to face some serious blow back and if he signs a 30 million deal, it's going to be that much harder. The team will suffer the consequences, as well, IMO. I just don't think this is a smart way to go but hey, I suppose we will see what happens with that.

No question but what Dak has his fair share of supporters and detractors. Whether it's despite that, or due to it, he's likely to remain our QB for the foreseeable future. I'm intent upon concentrating upon the games, rather than rooting or woefully dealing with what happens with Dak. The team as a whole is my attraction to following this team to start with. Dak and the FO can and will decide their fate as best they can. Godspeed with that. Let's also be aware that they won a championship last year but evidently, it wasn't enough to suit everyone. Baby steps are better than nothing at all, imho.

Last edited:

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Because with another season under your belt, you have a better idea of what kind of QB he is and will be.

You and I just differ on this. I'd rather have to overpay a bit a year from now knowing he took the next step as a QB in this league than sign him for nearly $30MM now and he goes out and just has another blah season, the team gets bounced early or doesn't make the playoffs and now I am staring at a 4-5 year window where my starting QB is just an average QB eating up 12-15% of the cap.

Sounds fair.

DanA

Reaction score
I'm all for giving Dak a long term contract but Dave Helman has just thrown up a clueless number with no regard for how Dak's situation differs from other QB's on big contracts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I literally used your real estate market framework and you ignored it.

And if you don't think a league average qb getting a top 4 contract is helping to reshape top of the market I don't know what to tell you other than.... You're wrong.

You only said the real estate analogy was stupid. That was your brilliant use of it, but, again your words had no backbone.

And, again, you are confusing market with position ranking.

And, again you are ridiculously ignoring that the market has already been shaped - there are already QBs making more, and already QBs who are no better making money in the same ballpark.

If teams are willing to pay it, that’s the market. Teams have already demonstrated they are.

Hadenough

Reaction score
But hey, what the heck do I know? I'm just an old guy sitting on the couch watching the game
You can say your an old guy sitting on the couch watching the game but if you watch enough football you eventually see who can play and who cant. Dak has a lot of good intangibles but unfortunately his arm which is the most important is his biggest weakness.That cant be fixed either. The physical pedigree of having a golden arm is not there with Dak. He has golden legs but thats not gonna last but so long!

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
You can say your an old guy sitting on the couch watching the game but if you watch enough football you eventually see who can play and who cant. Dak has a lot of good intangibles but unfortunately his arm which is the most important is his biggest weakness.That cant be fixed either. The physical pedigree of having a golden arm is not there with Dak. He has golden legs but thats not gonna last but so long!
I have to agree with you brother, and also I don't think the clock in his brain can be either. I think those are things that unfortunately are set in stone.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question but what Dak has his fair share of supporters and detractors. Whether it's despite that, or due to it, he's likely to remain our QB for the foreseeable future. I'm intent upon concentrating upon the games, rather than rooting or woefully dealing with what happens with Dak. The team as a whole is my attraction to following this team to start with. Dak and the FO can and will decide their fate as best they can. Godspeed with that. Let's also be aware that they won a championship last year but evidently, it wasn't enough to suit everyone. Baby steps are better than nothing at all, imho.
Yup, it's the Dallas Cowboys - not the Dallas Cowboy.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

It's sad because this isn't true at all, but yet so many believe it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I assume you are talking about the NFC East? If so, I don't believe that is considered a "Championship" and honestly, it only makes us look small as an organization. We used to be a team that considered nothing less then a Championship as a successful season. Now, I guess we are to be content with "Baby Steps". I don't see how that is "better" by any definition.

I agree that he is likely to be the QB but what does that have to do with spending 30 million on him, at this stage. If what you say is what you honestly believe, "baby steps", then lets not pretend that spending 30 million on Dak is not going to effect the team and who or what they can sign in future. All it does is shorten the window IMO.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the NFC East? If so, I don't believe that is considered a "Championship" and honestly, it only makes us look small as an organization. We used to be a team that considered nothing less then a Championship as a successful season. Now, I guess we are to be content with "Baby Steps". I don't see how that is "better" by any definition.

I agree that he is likely to be the QB but what does that have to do with spending 30 million on him, at this stage. If what you say is what you honestly believe, "baby steps", then lets not pretend that spending 30 million on Dak is not going to effect the team and who or what they can sign in future. All it does is shorten the window IMO.

The NFL East championship is that and nothing more. Let's be fully aware that it's a "baby step" that hadn't been won in some time now. Cowboys fans are well known be one group in which its members are some who aren't content with appreciable improvement. 30 million in terms of the present contract deal is what the going rate has been come to be known as an acceptable contract price for someone of Dak's ilk.

If that doesn't meet your druthers, we'll see what Stephen Jones and those involved in the process of negotiating can do to make it more to your liking. Good luck with your opposition. The end result is something that remains to be decided. You may come to accept it or not but in any case, we'll see what the efforts of both sides of the negotiating process have in store. In the end, we'll all have to live with what transpires.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The NFL East championship is that and nothing more. Let's be fully aware that it's a "baby step" that hadn't been won in some time now. Cowboys fans are well known be one group in which its members are some who aren't content with appreciable improvement. 30 million in terms of the present contract deal is what the going rate has been come to be known as an acceptable contract price for someone of Dak's ilk.

If that doesn't meet your druthers, we'll see what Stephen Jones and those involved in the process of negotiating can do to make it more to your liking. Good luck with your opposition. The end result is something that remains to be decided. You may come to accept it or not but in any case, we'll see what the efforts of both sides of the negotiating process have in store. In the end, we'll all have to live with what transpires.

Lots of generalities in this post. I don't think it's called the NFL East Championship, I think it's the NFC East and I think it's the Division but I'm sure that you meant NFC. As for being some time since we won, that's not accurate either. We won the NFC East Division in 2016 and again in 2014, so basically, for the last several years, we have won the NFC East every couple of seasons. At what point do you stop taking "Baby Steps" and actually start running full speed? Content is a funny word. I actually don't believe in it. I am not content with just being OK in my own personal life and I'm not content with watching the Cowboys flounder, year after year. I want to see them live up to their history. That's a team that is committed to winning Championships.

So no, it doesn't fit my "druthers" and it shouldn't fit anybodies. Who is OK with contending for Championships year after year to going 24 years without even getting to a Conference Championship game. Basically, .500 football? Nope, not OK with it and I honestly don't see why any fan should be. Allow me to take the mystery out of this, I will not come to accept it. There is no "may" in this scenario.