CFZ Here’s why lost and what needs to happen to improve

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
This might be long, but oh well.

1. The Cowboys have tried everything at QB except a 1st round QB, why?
2. We've tried washed up vets, we've tried overreaching in the draft, we've tried X baseball players, we've tried undrafted rookies, and we've tried late round QBs.
3. What GM in the NFL would have his job if they didn't try to draft a top QB in the 1st round, besides Jerry?
4. We don't have speed on offense at all, except our 1 runner.
5. Since we like the TEs so much, why not draft a top-tier TE?
6. What do we have against LARGE DTs and linebackers?
7. Jerry needs to understand something about a top-tier QB. He either has a strong arm or very accurate, we have neither.
8. If you draft and fall upon a great QB, you will competing for SBs the next 12 to 15 years, pending injury.
9. If you fail at drafting a first round QB, do it again.

This post x1000!

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Especially in that first half. Purdy was already getting flustered and that added pressure might have opened the flood gates
Honestly....Parsons with ZERO sacks......is INEXCUSABLE. Find a match up....exploit it..... :banghead:

We never once ran both LBers in the AA gap to get pressure. Just dumb. Everytime we ran that in the regular season...we get a negative play.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • The two interceptions were killers.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
Here‘s a few things that should happen:
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
This is just an early assessment. Lots more to think about.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
This is spot-on analysis. I would like to expand upon what you said about FA moves and trades. I would say:
  • A team should build primarily through the draft, and then turn to FA moves and trades to plug any remaining holes.
This team has dramatically improved how well it drafts. If you compare the last 8 years or so with the late 90s, you can see a world of difference. That's a good thing. During those late 90s, the team also mostly got burned via their FA acquisitions and trades, and so I think it turned to the notion "you build through the draft," which is true ... partially. The thing is, FA moves/trades can very easily be done poorly in a way that hozes your team. See: Joey Galloway and Roy Williams (WR) trades. I suspect those misadventures made this front office gun shy. They got it in their heads "just draft well."

I like your idea of bringing in some kind of strategic advisor to help in this area. Where you find such a person is a big question mark, but it could be done. I would also like to point out that there are different types of FA moves, primarily two:
  • Signing a basic player to fill a hole, often short-term
  • Signing a major talent, someone highly coveted
This team has done better in that first category, but it's also the lower stakes category. For example, the signing of Andy Dalton was totally reasonable. Back then we didn't know how capable Cooper Rush was, and Dalton was an experienced vet whom you had a chance to win with if Dak went down (if you you can protect him, which the team really didn't). For signing free agents for depth, you're usually not throwing big piles of money at the player, and you can do things like incentive-based contracts. If you have a miss, you haven't trashed your salary cap.

The other area where this front office needs help in:
  • Salary cap management
This area is highly related to the problem of not being able to sign highly coveted free agents. You can't sign them if you don't have the money under the cap to do so. Today we watched an average to slightly above average quarterback who cannot carry a team on his shoulders in crunch time, has an interception problem -- and he's our 40 million dollar guy! After our best running back left the game hurt, we put in an okay running back who could do well in short yardage situations, but is light years from being elite, and he's massively paid. We grossly overpaid these two players to the point where the salary cap forced us to trade an excellent receiver for basically peanuts. And we couldn't go after the high-priced free agents.

Other teams have managed the cap better to be able to make perfect hole-fills for their team's needs. And this is HARD! There's a reason why the average fan couldn't just join an NFL's office and do that job. There's never any guarantee that the free agent you either sign or trade for will fill that need as well as you think. That's why those who do this job well are good at taking calculated risks. Jerry Jones probably thought he was taking an intelligent, calculated risk when he burned through two number one draft picks to get Joey Galloway. But a lot of people could see a mile away that he was going to get the team torched via that, and he did.

In short, the front office has gotten its act together for the most part for drafting, and it's done okay signing low-end, stop-gap free agents. It's the high-end free agents that it struggles with, and those struggles are interwoven with its salary cap struggles. Again, it is not easy, and it's not a job just any person could do. Jones needed to draw a line in the sand with both Dak and Zeke, and risk letting them walk, especially with Zeke given that it's not anywhere near as hard to replace a running back as it is a quarterback. But, even with a quarterback, you have to know who you've got and where to draw the line. Jones approached the negotiations as if Dak were a top-5 quarterback. He's not. You can win a championship with a decent, non-elite quarterback (see Trent Dilfer, see Doug Williams), but the team around him must be outstanding.

Has the front office gotten better? Sure, they have. They draft better. Of late, they've spared us any atrocious Galloway trades, but mainly by being gun shy. They've done some decent low-end FA signings.

Will Jones have the "ah-hah" moment and sign a strategic advisor as bobhaze suggests? Maybe, but it's doubtful.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

2. We've tried washed up vets, we've tried overreaching in the draft, we've tried X baseball players, we've tried undrafted rookies, and we've tried late round QBs.
3. What GM in the NFL would have his job if they didn't try to draft a top QB in the 1st round, besides Jerry?
7. Jerry needs to understand something about a top-tier QB. He either has a strong arm or very accurate, we have neither.
8. If you draft and fall upon a great QB, you will competing for SBs the next 12 to 15 years, pending injury.
Jerry hates Alpha males......the last one he had to deal with....Aikman...was enough.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I’m not sure about that. I’ve come to believe Dak is more like Jimmy Garropolo than a QB that can carry a team. I do believe we can win playoff games with him. But not with the talent we have now. We were beaten by a better team tonight.
I usually agree with your comments, but not this time. There talent isn’t better than ours, except in one area. Their rookie QB was MUCH better than Dak. We win this game if Dak takes care of the ball like Purdy did. Purdy was under as much, if not more pressure than Dak, and still protected the ball! Dak’s interceptions were terrible!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Unlike last year in that embarrassing first round loss to the niners, the Cowboys came out and played very hard tonight. They played with way more fire than they did last year vs the niners. And it still wasn’t enough. Hate to say it my friends but the niners are a better team than we are. Period. They deserve to be in the NFC championship game next Sun.

Being even more blunt- the niners had more talent at key positions than we do. They added Christian McAffrey. They have two of the best defensive players in the entire league in Nick Bosa and Fred Warner. Serious Question: What did we add this year that made us way better?

Here’s why we lost IMO:
  • The niners are a better team. They are better at multiple positions and they are better coached than we are. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius. Brock Purdy is an average NFL talent who is surrounded by top 5 talent at multiple positions. Their defense is top shelf.
  • I think we went as far as this team’s talent could have taken it. Dak is not good enough to carry this team. He can win playoff games if he has more of the top tier talent around him team like SF has.
  • Micah Parsons needs help. He‘s great, but he’s not enough alone. We need lots of help at DL and in the secondary.
  • The niners and eagles got way better this off-season. We got a little better. We did not improve enough last off-season. They did. It’s that simple.
  • You can’t build with just the draft. FA and trades matter. The two NFC championship teams were aggressive this off-season. We were not. If we don’t learn how to get better in FA, this team will fall back not get better.
  • We do not have a great front office. They do NOT know how to build a playoff winner. We have 28 years of receipts. They don’t understand how to be aggressive in FA and trades and it shows. THAT MUST CHANGE.
  • Jerry needs to hire a strategic advisor to help plan their off-season. We must have an aggressive off-season or this team goes backward. The Jones boys don’t know what they’re doing.
  • They should explore trading Dak or get aggressive to surround him with more talent. This team does not have enough offensive talent at multiple positions.
But to me it’s crystal clear- this team does not have enough talent and lacks the front office strategic ability to fix it without help.
Great points..................here is the main problem, we dont have a franchise QB.

Until that changes, nothing really is going to matter.

plasticman

Reaction score
Playoff losses feel worse with each passing season.

My advice to fans is enjoy a championship with every part of your being if the Cowboys should ever achieve another one. It immediately begins to fade into history with the beginning of a new season. No matter how long a team's success might run, it will eventually end.

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy this Cowboys franchise when they had 20 consecutive winning seasons that took them to seven championship games, five of them Super Bowls. It felt like it would never end until it did. They were even more dominant in the early 90's, their end was far more abrupt and shocking.

Since then, the Cowboys have been like most other NFL teams. They had their great years and these are not them.

I've witnessed how great teams win championships and, yet, I still hope for results that do not match the characteristics and actions that create those results.

Once again, the Cowboys limped into the playoffs with no momentum, no advantageous seeding and no clear identity of what they really are. Trust me, you recognize a real championship team before it even happens, it's just a feeling of destiny.

There is no identity, there is no plan, there is no commitment. There is just the flawed perception that getting enough talented players will win you a championship. The Cowboys might win a lot of regular season games but they are no closer to winning a championship than they were when Camp was the coach and their quarterbacks were failed baseball players.

The Cowboys are stuck in neutral until they get a real GM and the owner is only visible when it's time to pick up the Lombardi and thank everyone responsible. In a nutshell, this is what needs to happen.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
This team will fall back, Jerry and dumb Son will do the same bargain bin FA, sign a few of their own guys and then focus on draft.

I expect the same strategy and the same end of season results.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Any top tier qb could have won with our D tonight against the niners.

Dak will never be that, so you can re-arrange the deck chairs, paint them, and re-name them, but the ship that is the Cowboys has a Captain that is going to hit that iceberg, sooner, or later, every time.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Playoff losses feel worse with each passing season.

My advice to fans is enjoy a championship with every part of your being if the Cowboys should ever achieve another one. It immediately begins to fade into history with the beginning of a new season. No matter how long a team's success might run, it will eventually end.

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy this Cowboys franchise when they had 20 consecutive winning seasons that took them to seven championship games, five of them Super Bowls. It felt like it would never end until it did. They were even more dominant in the early 90's, their end was far more abrupt and shocking.

Since then, the Cowboys have been like most other NFL teams. They had their great years and these are not them.

I've witnessed how great teams win championships and, yet, I still hope for results that do not match the characteristics and actions that create those results.

Once again, the Cowboys limped into the playoffs with no momentum, no advantageous seeding and no clear identity of what they really are. Trust me, you recognize a real championship team before it even happens, it's just a feeling of destiny.

There is no identity, there is no plan, there is no commitment. There is just the flawed perception that getting enough talented players will win you a championship. The Cowboys might win a lot of regular season games but they are no closer to winning a championship than they were when Camp was the coach and their quarterbacks were failed baseball players.

The Cowboys are stuck in neutral until they get a real GM and the owner is only visible when it's time to pick up the Lombardi and thank everyone responsible. In a nutshell, this is what needs to happen.
:hammer:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There cannot be anybody left who believes Dak can win in the NFL. It's over. He's inaccurate, struggles to read the field, and has a below average arm.
Ðraft a QB, even if you need to trade a really, really, good player to get one.
Oh yeah, figure out how you replace Quinn while your at it.

zerofill

Reaction score

Here’s why we lost IMO:
I agree, but Dak is just football dumb. You have someone who is often uncertain of himself, trying to play like he is certain and confident. He is trying to even fool himself.
He can pretend to be confident in his abilities, but he isn't.

He is like a child walking into a haunted house at Halloween, trying to convince themselves they aren't afraid, and trying to act like they aren't to everyone else.
Same thing with him...

The look on his face when he was walking off the field on one of the interceptions, put a spotlight on that.

He isn't the guy... 7 seasons, and he still goes back to stupid mechanics, and 2 of the dumbest interceptions, not counting some of the other dumb ones this season.

It's a passing league, and Dak is not a QB you can count on against top defenses, no matter who we have at receiver.

They should have never moved on from Amari Cooper for this season though.
Because defenses gave Amari a lot of attention. Now that attention is on Lamb.
But that wouldn't have saved Dak anyway. Because the film showed how much
Amari was open last season, and Dak didn't even look.

No matter how much some people like Dak, and think he is a great guy... He just isn't it.