Here Is The Problem With Garrett.. Cowboys 20th In Rushing Attempts..

Reaction score
I posted earlier the numbers on the Ravens and Cowboys, interesting numbers BTW.

But I wanted to find out why the offense is sputtering. I came across some numbers that could explain why the Cowboys are struggling on offense.

Jason Garrett, by the numbers, has not dialed up enough of run plays. The Cowboys are ranked 20th in rushing attempts.

As for the pass play calling the Cowboys are 14th when it comes to the pass attempts.

What I find interesting is when the Cowboys do run the ball they are pretty good at it ranking 12th with 4.3 average.

So, nobody can actually say that the Cowboys are not able to establish the run or the run blocking is not good because the numbers don't lie. Garrett, is a pass-happy coach and could hurt the Cowboys has the season ends and the playoffs start.

If the Cowboys expect to win these next two games and make a run into the playoffs, Garrett, better become more balanced with his attack.

IMO, Garrett, should get the run going to take the pressure off Romo.

Also, IMO, if Garrett fails to get this offense going and we fail to make a run in the playoffs, HE SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!!

Stats: From NFL.COM

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the running attempts, I have a problem with the extreme vertical nature of the passing game. We need to shorten things up a bit and take some pressure off Romo in doing so.

The screen pass was a series or two too late against the Ginats when it could have prevented that one series where Romo got hammered!

Ender

Reaction score
I really dont think the fact they are 20 in run attempts means much considering they are 14th in pass attempts. Seems like they are getting enough plays.

Smith22

Reaction score
Come playoff time, a reliable ground game is a necessity.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Wonder if Proctor has anything to do with that..........just thinkin' out loud here.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I would like to see us draft some higher caliber OL in the upcoming draft.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Rush attempts is a misleading stat. We also lead the league in plays over 20+ yards, which would cut down the number of rushing opportunities.

You may want to take a look at run/pass distribution as a better statistic if you want to make your earlier claim.

Reaction score
aikemirv;2499503 said:
I don't have a problem with the running attempts, I have a problem with the extreme vertical nature of the passing game. We need to shorten things up a bit and take some pressure off Romo in doing so.

The screen pass was a series or two too late against the Ginats when it could have prevented that one series where Romo got hammered!

I have a problem with it. The Cowboys have two very good backs, use them. Yes, Barber is hurt now but what was the excuse before? Garrett will put this team in trouble if he doesn't get balanced.

Reaction score
Ender;2499505 said:
I really dont think the fact they are 20 in run attempts means much considering they are 14th in pass attempts. Seems like they are getting enough plays.

When you become pass happy, you put too much pressure on Romo and that is when he makes mistakes.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Well I can guarantee if we line up with Cricket in the backfield in an I formation on first down it will be a run between the tackes 99.99% of the time.
:banghead:

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2499515 said:
Rush attempts is a misleading stat. We also lead the league in plays over 20+ yards, which would cut down the number of rushing opportunities.

You may want to take a look at run/pass distribution as a better statistic if you want to make your earlier claim.

Look, against the Giants, when the ball was at our own five yard line. Garrett calls for a bomb on second down, fine with that but on third down he should of ran the ball to work the clock with 7:00 minutes left. Garrett calls another pass play and Romo was sacked, fumbled, but was lucky to knock the ball out of the end-zone. That easily could of put the Giants that much closer if they recovered it for a TD.

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2499527 said:
Well I can guarantee if we line up with Cricket in the backfield in an I formation on first down it will be a run between the tackes 99.99% of the time.
:banghead:

Garrett needs to go.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499533 said:
Look, against the Giants, when the ball was at our own five yard line. Garrett calls for a bomb on second down, fine with that but on third down he should of ran the ball to work the clock with 7:00 minutes left. Garrett calls another pass play and Romo was sacked, fumbled, but was lucky to knock the ball out of the end-zone. That easily could of put the Giants that much closer if they recovered it for a TD.

You're missing my point. Quick strike and big play offenses never lead the league in rushing attempts. Again, take a look at run % to pass % as a better statistic. That will tell you how run or pass heavy we actually are.

The Vikings of 1998 were a prime example of a quick strike team. They didn't lead the league in rush attempts, but they were still relatively balanced when you look at run/pass percentages.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You get points from the passing game, and control game tempo with the run. That's more or less what our offense does.

The numbers don't exist in a vacuum, and you have to sustain drives in order to have opportunities to run. The play where we got the safety is a horrible example, b/c that was blown by the center and not the result of the play call. That play may very well have been a game-breaker, and we'll never know.

What we need is to see the passing game be even more efficient if we're really going to apply more pressure on teams. Get up by multiple scores and then run the game out while our defense pins its considerable ears back. Tough to do against the likes of the Giants, Steelers, and Ravens, though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499533 said:

Had Davis not been flagged on play before where we rushed for 4 yards maybe we don't pass on that play. Many times we are forced into overcoming flags where we have to pass. I'm all for balance but I'm not for going overly conservative. I would also add that it was yet another screw up by the line as to why Romo was sacked for a safety I don't think Jason expected his line to screw up like that nor do I think you base play calls on what if our line screws up

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2499542 said:
You're missing my point. Quick strike and big play offenses never lead the league in rushing attempts. Again, take a look at run % to pass % as a better statistic. That will tell you how run or pass heavy we actually are.

The Vikings of 1998 were a prime example of a quick strike team. They didn't lead the league in rush attempts, but they were still relatively balanced when you look at run/pass percentages.

I understand! But look, the Cowboys pass offense is struggling. Not sure exactly why, possibly Romo isn't 100% but that is more the reason to get the run going.

Look, we will have to go to chilly Philly in two weeks(I know I live there) on the road possibly to Giant stadium if we get going in the playoffs, YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO TWO THINGS RUN THE BALL AND STOP THE RUN!!

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2499556 said:
Had Davis not been flagged on play before where we rushed for 4 yards maybe we don't pass on that play. Many times we are forced into overcoming flags where we have to pass. I'm all for balance but I'm not for going overly conservative. I would also add that it was yet another screw up by the line as to why Romo was sacked for a safety I don't think Jason expected his line to screw up like that nor do I think you base play calls on what if our line screws up

True, good job. But the whole game against the Giants, Romo struggled. The Oline struggled protecting him. When Choice toched the ball things happened.