Here Is The Problem With Garrett.. Cowboys 20th In Rushing Attempts..

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
gmsquid;2501053 said:
Here's my issue. Running on second and long, not using playaction, and not running quick routes. Honestly, Garrett never calls playaction. And to think in that Steelers game when we were holding the ball and Garrett got conservative, if he had called playaction and taken a shot down field we might have had a shot at increasing that lead even further? Too often, we're just asking receivers to beat people one on one, on deep routes. I think we don't run enough quick-ins and slants especially on first and second down. All our first down plays are these long developing plays. And yeah we have the checkdown to Marion/Choice, but that's not a real quick out, that's just if Romo can't get the ball downfield. Throw Crayton or T.O. on a quick slant over the middle, mix it up some...

Maybe Romo is not as good at reading the field if he goes play action. Some QB's dont like to take their eyes off the field once the ball is snapped.

Not saying this is the case, just a possibility.

Eskimo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2501099 said:
Maybe Romo is not as good at reading the field if he goes play action. Some QB's dont like to take their eyes off the field once the ball is snapped.

Not saying this is the case, just a possibility.

We never really used playaction to much benefit in Aikman's days even with Emmitt. Most of the playaction did not really involve much of a salesjob by Aikman/Smith. It may not be Romo's strength or maybe it is just a bias he has from growing up in that system - they don't really believe in majorly trying to use or sell play-aciton.

The best play-action QB I ever saw was Boomer Esiason - he could just have the whole defense and camera crew fooled for a few seconds.

thekavorka

Reaction score
dbair1967;2500942 said:
several of you continue to say this, but it isnt true. Look at the number of receptions by the RB's and TE's...They are not running deep routes.

I didn't specify this, but I was referring to the WRs. We ran couple of hitches on Sunday, but those were the only quick throws to the WRs I can remember. No slants or anything. I feel like Romo (or Garrett) doesn't have confidence in Romo throwing slants or outs to the WRs.

we've missed a few, but we have played two of the best defenses in the league...that has something to do with it
I realize the defenses we faced play a part. But the schedule isn't getting any easier. Can the offense just turn on a switch the next two weeks and in the playoffs? We'll see.

soccerbud

Reaction score
I agree with what a few posters have stated. I dont have a beef with the running attemps. I have a beef with the way that Garret calls the games, especially getting too pass happy in the 1st half.

Too many a times, I see the 1st half, pass-run break down getting close to 2:1. This is great when Romo and the receiving corp is running on all cylinders. However, when the passing game is off, this leads to 1)long [and unmanageable] third downs, 2)losing control of the clock. Thereby 3)allowing the opposing offense to linger on the field and inadvently 4)leaving the D on the field and tiring them out by 4th quarter. Lastly, garret's playg calling doesn't 5 )allow RB's to get in a rhythm and groove. How can you expect RB's to perform consistently game-in and game-out when the RB's only gets a few carries here and there?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499487 said:
I posted earlier the numbers on the Ravens and Cowboys, interesting numbers BTW.

But I wanted to find out why the offense is sputtering. I came across some numbers that could explain why the Cowboys are struggling on offense.

Jason Garrett, by the numbers, has not dialed up enough of run plays. The Cowboys are ranked 20th in rushing attempts.

As for the pass play calling the Cowboys are 14th when it comes to the pass attempts.

What I find interesting is when the Cowboys do run the ball they are pretty good at it ranking 12th with 4.3 average.

So, nobody can actually say that the Cowboys are not able to establish the run or the run blocking is not good because the numbers don't lie. Garrett, is a pass-happy coach and could hurt the Cowboys has the season ends and the playoffs start.

If the Cowboys expect to win these next two games and make a run into the playoffs, Garrett, better become more balanced with his attack.

IMO, Garrett, should get the run going to take the pressure off Romo.

Also, IMO, if Garrett fails to get this offense going and we fail to make a run in the playoffs, HE SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!!

Stats: From NFL.COM

Hmm, well if we're 20th in the league for run attempts and 14th for pass attempts then that tells me half the league is putting out more offensive attempts overall. Now this could be because they get their yardage in smaller chunks which running the ball does that but it also shows we are a big play offense if our overall points and yardage totals rank up there with the upper half of the league. Do you have the total yardage and points rankings also? This would help conclude even more so.

Traditionally a team is around the 40%-45% run to 55%-60% pass on average league wide and we could be breaking big plays in both the run and pass categories and therefore need less attempts to score as our yardage average per play is one of the tops. If we get those other statistics we'll know for sure but it sounds like you're onto something Pick6

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Eskimo;2501109 said:
We never really used playaction to much benefit in Aikman's days even with Emmitt. Most of the playaction did not really involve much of a salesjob by Aikman/Smith. It may not be Romo's strength or maybe it is just a bias he has from growing up in that system - they don't really believe in majorly trying to use or sell play-aciton.

The best play-action QB I ever saw was Boomer Esiason - he could just have the whole defense and camera crew fooled for a few seconds.

Peyton Manning is pretty darn good at it too.

Dimuha

Reaction score
Barber doesn't get the yardage we need, and look at the recieving core. We should bein the 20's in rushing.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Honestly, I think we should pass more. Especially on 1st downs. The problem with our offense is that its slowly becoming predictable. We tend to run a lot on 1st downs. Then we are forced to throw on 3rd and long because we are only gaining a few yards on 1st down carries.

We should mix it up a bit on 1st downs. Throw shorter and quicker passes and settle for the easy 7 and 8 yarders. Then we can finish off with runs during 2nd and 3rd and short yardage.

The idea is to throw the defense off guard. We gain most of our yardage on passing downs through delay draws and catching the defense playing the pass.

Mixing it up on 1st downs throws defenses off balance and keeps them guessing. It makes our defense harder to predict and a nightmare to defend.

Not enough rushing attempts isn't our problem on offense. The problem has been on 1st downs. We tend to run more than we pass and I think it would be better if we mix it up 50-50 with running and passing.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sasquatch;2499513 said:
I would like to see us draft some higher caliber OL in the upcoming draft.

:signmast:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rushing attempts is what is grounding us and dooming Garrett? I'm sorry but quite frankly that is nonsense.

Based on that rationale Indianapolis and Arizona at 30th and 31st should also fire their OCs.

But teams like Jacksonville, Chicago, and Oakland should have OCs who are head coaching prospects.

Uh, no.

Judas Priest. :rolleyes:

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499533 said:
Look, against the Giants, when the ball was at our own five yard line. Garrett calls for a bomb on second down, fine with that but on third down he should of ran the ball to work the clock with 7:00 minutes left. Garrett calls another pass play and Romo was sacked, fumbled, but was lucky to knock the ball out of the end-zone. That easily could of put the Giants that much closer if they recovered it for a TD.

That one annoyed me:mad:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2501023 said:
Problem with your argument? They didn't play 10 times, only one. And that one time the pass-oriented Vikings were up-ended by the run-oriented Falcons.

The Falcons had the type of attack to slow the Vikings down. And they knew to harass Randall Cunningham. I don't think pass-oriented teams can change their mentality. And if a team can take advantage of that, it's hard for a pass-oriented team to readjust.

Second, the Broncos were also a run-oriented team. In fact, the Broncos relied more on Terrell Davis to gear their passing attack than vice versa.

I guess you also forgot that a guy who had not missed a FG all yr, missed one that would have won the game for the Vikes

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2501244 said:
Hmm, well if we're 20th in the league for run attempts and 14th for pass attempts then that tells me half the league is putting out more offensive attempts overall. Now this could be because they get their yardage in smaller chunks which running the ball does that but it also shows we are a big play offense if our overall points and yardage totals rank up there with the upper half of the league. Do you have the total yardage and points rankings also? This would help conclude even more so.

Traditionally a team is around the 40%-45% run to 55%-60% pass on average league wide and we could be breaking big plays in both the run and pass categories and therefore need less attempts to score as our yardage average per play is one of the tops. If we get those other statistics we'll know for sure but it sounds like you're onto something Pick6

Time of possession has been a killer most of the season. If we aren't hitting big strikes and scoring quickly we are struggling with 3 and outs..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing I have learned from fans if Dallas runs on 1st down and it is ineffective they holler why we are not passing on 1st down. If we run too much they complain, if we pass to much they complain. Garrett offense have shown the ability to put up point that is the job of the Offense and yet some fan that have 0 knowledge of running an offense is going to say what needs to be done? Give me a break you guys are a joke. Every game against different opponents will take on its own personality there are some games we will run more often than others and there will be games we are going to throw a lot more. This past game we went up aginst one of the top run defense in the league and to expect Garrett just to pound the ball at them would have been stupid. In the end the numbers are not that wide with pass vs run for the season

tyke1doe

Reaction score
dbair1967;2501382 said:
I guess you also forgot that a guy who had not missed a FG all yr, missed one that would have won the game for the Vikes

And I think you miss the point that the Vikings pass-oriented team had games settled before the last minute.

The Falcons played the Vikings close, in no small part, because of their run-oriented offense and a stingy defense that focused on pressuring Cunningham into making mistakes.

The last second field goal miss by Anderson was the culmination of an overall strategy that allowed the Falcons to win.

Simply put, the Vikings game plan should have resulted in Minnesota running away with this game, based on its pass-oriented offense.

The Falcons strategy of pounding the rock, keeping the Vikings offense off the field and pressuring Randall Cunningham resulted in a close game and a victory.

Advantage: Falcons run-oriented offense. :)

khiladi

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2499996 said:
I don't understand how a team so predictable is able to put up the points this team has. :rolleyes: I guess some teams are not as savy as you because the Giants sure as hell did not look like they expect Choice to bolt for that long TD but I'm sure you saw it all the way. :rolleyes: :lmao: :lmao:

Doomsday101;2499996 said:
I don't understand how a team so predictable is able to put up the points this team has. :rolleyes: I guess some teams are not as savy as you because the Giants sure as hell did not look like they expect Choice to bolt for that long TD but I'm sure you saw it all the way. :rolleyes: :lmao: :lmao:

Uh, because Tony Romo can keep plays alive with his feet and TO can get behind CBs...

BTW, that bolt that you refer to, it happens rarely with Garrett as an OC... That is like saying the 49ers are good offensively, because they had one game where they put up 40 points...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2501615 said:
Uh, because Tony Romo can keep plays alive with his feet and TO can get behind CBs...

BTW, that bolt that you refer to, it happens rarely with Garrett as an OC... That is like saying the 49ers are good offensively, because they had one game where they put up 40 points...

Garrett has some talented players on offense no doubt about it and many OC who also have talented players on offense are capable of turning a bad situation into a good one but overall this is still a good offense who just happens to be playing in a division in the NFC East with top 6 defense and has played other teams in the NFL who are also ranked on the upper echelon of defenses. Not many offenses are going to be able to put 10 or 12 play drives against some of these defenses very often.

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2501656 said:
Garrett has some talented players on offense no doubt about it and many OC who also have talented players on offense are capable of turning a bad situation into a good one but overall this is still a good offense who just happens to be playing in a division in the NFC East with top 6 defense and has played other teams in the NFL who are also ranked on the upper echelon of defenses. Not many offenses are going to be able to put 10 or 12 play drives against some of these defenses very often.

Like the Ravens!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2501898 said:
Like the Ravens!

Exactly like the Ravens. It is hard to string together 10 or 12 play drives aginst a team like the Ravens. Because Dallas does have some big play guys on the team that can strike at any time is very benifical to the Cowboys. These are the type of games where field position will be key because 80 yard drives will be hard to get vs the Ravens but by the same token the Cowboys also have a very good defense who is playing with confidence, if we can force turnovers and setup the offense with good field position we could have a very good day.