Here Is The Problem With Garrett.. Cowboys 20th In Rushing Attempts..

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I wish Garrett would copy cat what philly does with Westbrook using Choice in that scenario. We need to figure out ways to get the ball in Choice's hot hands, he's clearly the play making difference right now and we need to ride it...:pray::pray::pray:

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2499590 said:
I hate to say it but I wish Garrett would copy cat what philly does with Westbrook using Choice in that scenario. We need to figure out ways to get the ball in Choice's hot hands, he's clearly the play making difference right now and we need to ride it...:pray::pray::pray:

Screens and misdirections!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499569 said:
True, good job. But the whole game against the Giants, Romo struggled. The Oline struggled protecting him. When Choice toched the ball things happened.

We were not running very well against that Giants line either, had it not been for Choice long run the avg per carry would not have been that good we also hit them late in the game with a draw when facing long yardage but just lining up and trying to run against them would have been a mistake. I want balance but I don't want to go conservative to the point we are just tipping off passes. I do understand the importance of the running game but I don't believe in banging my head against a wall and the Giants are a hard team to run on

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499533 said:
Look, against the Giants, when the ball was at our own five yard line. Garrett calls for a bomb on second down, fine with that but on third down he should of ran the ball to work the clock with 7:00 minutes left. Garrett calls another pass play and Romo was sacked, fumbled, but was lucky to knock the ball out of the end-zone. That easily could of put the Giants that much closer if they recovered it for a TD.

I guess this is an area we differ in. I LOVE the fact we actually GO for it instead of running give up plays like alot of teams do. It just didn't work out that time is all.

By NO means do I want us to just "work the clock" with 7 minutes left. That is a TON of time to give an opponent to come back when most teams usually go 3 and out then ( I realize this worked great at Washington earlier but usually all it leads to is a punt ).

I say keep the go for it attitude.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2499590 said:

I like seeing Choice but Dallas has more weapons than Philly. Choice is part of it but so is Witten,TO, Bennett and Barber and we only play with 1 ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499533 said:
Look, against the Giants, when the ball was at our own five yard line. Garrett calls for a bomb on second down, fine with that but on third down he should of ran the ball to work the clock with 7:00 minutes left. Garrett calls another pass play and Romo was sacked, fumbled, but was lucky to knock the ball out of the end-zone. That easily could of put the Giants that much closer if they recovered it for a TD.

Absolutely atrocious series of play-calling....

Reaction score
Dhragon;2499605 said:
I guess this is an area we differ in. I LOVE the fact we actually GO for it instead of running give up plays like alot of teams do. It just didn't work out that time is all.

By NO means do I want us to just "work the clock" with 7 minutes left. That is a TON of time to give an opponent to come back when most teams usually go 3 and out then ( I realize this worked great at Washington earlier but usually all it leads to is a punt ).

It's cool if we have different opinions.

You need balance and if you don't have balance you have nothing at all. Just look at Andy Reid and the Eagles. The lost too many games because of his pass happy ways. Lat night, was a perfect example. Reid threw the ball in a Wildcat formation and ended in a pick. Again, he calls a fade that gets picked when he has one of the best-all-around backs in Westbrook.

If that was a better team, they probably lose.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dhragon;2499605 said:

That is what gets me, had we ran the ball and lost Garrett would catch hell for being conservative as other OC we have had were called if he passes well then he was stupid for not running it. This offense is one of the top scoring teams Garrett must be doing something right. Not all calls will I agree with but it is hard to disagree with the points this team can put up.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499487 said:
I posted earlier the numbers on the Ravens and Cowboys, interesting numbers BTW.

But I wanted to find out why the offense is sputtering. I came across some numbers that could explain why the Cowboys are struggling on offense.

Jason Garrett, by the numbers, has not dialed up enough of run plays. The Cowboys are ranked 20th in rushing attempts.

As for the pass play calling the Cowboys are 14th when it comes to the pass attempts.

What I find interesting is when the Cowboys do run the ball they are pretty good at it ranking 12th with 4.3 average.

So, nobody can actually say that the Cowboys are not able to establish the run or the run blocking is not good because the numbers don't lie. Garrett, is a pass-happy coach and could hurt the Cowboys has the season ends and the playoffs start.

If the Cowboys expect to win these next two games and make a run into the playoffs, Garrett, better become more balanced with his attack.

IMO, Garrett, should get the run going to take the pressure off Romo.

Also, IMO, if Garrett fails to get this offense going and we fail to make a run in the playoffs, HE SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!!

Stats: From NFL.COM

Before you want to make a point, you may want to realize that we're currently ranked 22 in total plays from scrimmage with 847. If you're ranked 22 in TOTAL plays, then guess what, you probably aren't going to be ranked very high in rushing attempts. 361 of those have been runs. 461 of those have been passes. We have a run:pass ration of 44:56.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499615 said:
It's cool if we have different opinions.

You need balance and if you don't have balance you have nothing at all. Just look at Andy Reid and the Eagles. The lost too many games because of his pass happy ways. Lat night, was a perfect example. Reid threw the ball in a Wildcat formation and ended in a pick. Again, he calls a fade that gets picked when he has one of the best-all-around backs in Westbrook.

If that was a better team, they probably lose.

If you think a "perfect example" of a team that is too pass happy and loses, is a team that wins 30-10, you may want to have your head examined.

Btw, the Eagles had 38 pass attemps, to 31 rushing attemps. Ratio of 45:55.

And that "best all around" back is best used coming out of the backfield in space. You want to get Westbrook touches not necessarily carries, although they usually go hand-in-hand.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
I didn't realise there were so many great OC's posting here.

BUT, I think I'd rather stick with Garrett. :)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I just don't like how we run a stupid slow, developing toss-sweep to Barber on the 1st play, and go oh well, that's not working, let's play pitch and catch!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
aikemirv;2499503 said:
I don't have a problem with the running attempts, I have a problem with the extreme vertical nature of the passing game. We need to shorten things up a bit and take some pressure off Romo in doing so.

The screen pass was a series or two too late against the Ginats when it could have prevented that one series where Romo got hammered!

I've been pleading for Garrett to do that the last 6 or 7 weeks

it's just not going to happen this year, or ever

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Seven;2499510 said:
Wonder if Proctor has anything to do with that..........just thinkin' out loud here.

I would go back and look at the OL in the last game. Proctor was not the worst lineman in that game.

I would like to know what the heck is wrong with the OL. I can understand Proctor missing a block. And badly. He had at least two of those and one was a sack. But Davis and Colombo were horrible in the first quarter+. Worse than Proctor who at least appeared to know whom to block. Davis and Colombo let people just go in untouched. Didn't even try to block them. Maybe the TE was supposed to move back down or something and they weren't the ones wrong.

Clearly there was a time when the OL esp the right side didn't know how to handle the extra man in the zone blitzes esp with the stunting.

Is this Houck not getting them ready? Or what?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
aikemirv;2499503 said:
I don't have a problem with the running attempts, I have a problem with the extreme vertical nature of the passing game. We need to shorten things up a bit and take some pressure off Romo in doing so.

The screen pass was a series or two too late against the Ginats when it could have prevented that one series where Romo got hammered!

Right on the money.

khiladi

Reaction score
It isn't so much the pass:run ration, more so the play-calling of Garrett as a whole, including lack of a short-passing game and the predictability of his play-calling, whether the play is a run or pass.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2499984 said:
It isn't so much the pass:run ration, more so the play-calling of Garrett as a whole, including lack of a short-passing game and the predictability of his play-calling, whether the play is a run or pass.

I don't understand how a team so predictable is able to put up the points this team has. :rolleyes: I guess some teams are not as savy as you because the Giants sure as hell did not look like they expect Choice to bolt for that long TD but I'm sure you saw it all the way. :rolleyes: :lmao: :lmao:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499487 said:
I posted earlier the numbers on the Ravens and Cowboys, interesting numbers BTW.

But I wanted to find out why the offense is sputtering. I came across some numbers that could explain why the Cowboys are struggling on offense.

Jason Garrett, by the numbers, has not dialed up enough of run plays. The Cowboys are ranked 20th in rushing attempts.

As for the pass play calling the Cowboys are 14th when it comes to the pass attempts.

What I find interesting is when the Cowboys do run the ball they are pretty good at it ranking 12th with 4.3 average.

So, nobody can actually say that the Cowboys are not able to establish the run or the run blocking is not good because the numbers don't lie. Garrett, is a pass-happy coach and could hurt the Cowboys has the season ends and the playoffs start.

If the Cowboys expect to win these next two games and make a run into the playoffs, Garrett, better become more balanced with his attack.

IMO, Garrett, should get the run going to take the pressure off Romo.

Also, IMO, if Garrett fails to get this offense going and we fail to make a run in the playoffs, HE SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!!

Stats: From NFL.COM

We've had a few games where we ran the ball ok, but we've also had alot of games where the run game was totally stoned. Barber has been the primary ball carrier this yr and his yds per attempt is mediocre. You have to go with what works, and the fact of the matter is the run game hasnt been as consistent as we all would have liked.

The yds per attempt is skewed somewhat by Felix Jones and Tashard Choice's rushes, especially F Jones.

We've also been behind some games, and the games where Brad Johnson was QB teams just loaded up in the box and dared Johnson to throw the ball downfield.

The best players on the offense are Romo, Owens & Witten. We all love Barber, but other than a few games the fact is he has been pretty average.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
aikemirv;2499503 said:

Some people really amaze me. First off, not every pass is a deep ball, not everything is down the field. We dont run 4 or 5 guys straight down the field and turn around at the last tree.

Second, we tried the short dink and dunk approach for 3 weeks, remember? Thats all they could do with Johnson, and it didnt work then either. And everyone complained that Garrett called too many short ones.

Look how many balls have been completed to Witten, Barber and even Choice. Those passes are all of the short variety. Witten gets open down field quite a bit, but you can tell the injuries are really effecting him some because it seems the past few games most of his stuff is underneath.