Here Is The Problem With Garrett.. Cowboys 20th In Rushing Attempts..

Eskimo

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2499727 said:
I've been pleading for Garrett to do that the last 6 or 7 weeks

it's just not going to happen this year, or ever

Garrett definitely came up in the Coryell/Zampese/Turner offense of vertical passing. However, I do think he needs to use RBs more and he has started to do it more this year then he did last year and I hope this trend continues. He may have been partially handicapped last year by Julius' suspect hands and thus preferred to use Witten in that role but it does keep the LBs honest in their drops which should open up the deeper passing game over time.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I don't necessarily have a criticism of the run:pass ratio overall, but I do think Garrett sometimes panics in close games and gives up on the run altogether when down by even a single score.

The other thing I'll say is that for several years the run blocking has been inconsistent as judged by the number of plays that are stuffed for 2 yards or less. I think part of that is on the OL but part of it is that Julius and Barber just don't have great vision leading to many runs where they didn't maximize the yards for the blocking that they had. Julius made up for it earlier in his career with his speed and his ability to be a broken-field runner but Parcells seemed to coach that out of him. Barber makes up for it with his ability to jump outside and beat the backside guy in 1-on-1 matchups that most RBs lose.

I am hopeful that Choice can give us a more consistent running game - a higher percentage of carries with 3-6 yards which is very important in the ability to sustain drives and pickup first downs. We have been an offense that lives on our big-play ability and I think that is crucial to scoring points. However, I think we have run into troubles when teams have been able to take away the big plays and we have been unable to nickel-and-dime them down the field due to an inconsistent running game and an underdeveloped short passing game. I have seen alot of progress in this regard in the second half of the year and I hope it continues because it will definitely make us a better playoff team and harder to defend.

Reaction score
Dallas needs to run the ball with Choice and MBIII, they both will do damage. Again, Defense and the run game win playoff games, say what you want!

Eskimo

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2500743 said:
Dallas needs to run the ball with Choice and MBIII, they both will do damage. Again, Defense and the run game win playoff games, say what you want!

I would argue that the most important thing for an offense is to score points, and the key to scoring points is an efficient passing game as measured by yards per attempt. That doesn't necessarily mean deep passing because I think Romo/Garrett sometimes try to force deep passes that aren't there when there are wide-open options in the shorter passing game.

I think the key with the running game for most offenses is to force defenses to bring people up which opens the defense up for more big plays and creates soft spots in zones behind the LBs and in front of the safeties.

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2499665 said:
If you think a "perfect example" of a team that is too pass happy and loses, is a team that wins 30-10, you may want to have your head examined.

Btw, the Eagles had 38 pass attemps, to 31 rushing attemps. Ratio of 45:55.

And that "best all around" back is best used coming out of the backfield in space. You want to get Westbrook touches not necessarily carries, although they usually go hand-in-hand.

They played Cleveland. :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Reaction score
Eskimo;2500775 said:
I would argue that the most important thing for an offense is to score points, and the key to scoring points is an efficient passing game as measured by yards per attempt. That doesn't necessarily mean deep passing because I think Romo/Garrett sometimes try to force deep passes that aren't there when there are wide-open options in the shorter passing game.

I think the key with the running game for most offenses is to force defenses to bring people up which opens the defense up for more big plays and creates soft spots in zones behind the LBs and in front of the safeties.

What do all former players say about the playoffs. Get hot, be able to run the ball and stop the run. If you can do that your chances of winning are much greater.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Another thing you fail to point out is while Dallas does rank 20th in rush attempts, they rank only 14th in pass attempts. It's not like we are throwing 60%-65% of the time or something. We're throwing about 56% of the time, but considering the run game (especially early and on early downs) has been pretty mediocre, this isnt surprising. When your primary ball carrier averages only 3.7yds per attempt, you are not running succesfully.

We rank only 22nd in total plays run. We do rank 7th in yds per play, pretty remarkable after how bad we were with Johnson at QB those 3 games.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2499523 said:
When you become pass happy, you put too much pressure on Romo and that is when he makes mistakes.

I am gonna throw out all stats and just agree with this one.

We need to have an effective run game down stretch and in playoffs... or we wont go far.

Reaction score
dbair1967;2500891 said:
Another thing you fail to point out is while Dallas does rank 20th in rush attempts, they rank only 14th in pass attempts. It's not like we are throwing 60%-65% of the time or something. We're throwing about 56% of the time, but considering the run game (especially early and on early downs) has been pretty mediocre, this isnt surprising. When your primary ball carrier averages only 3.7yds per attempt, you are not running succesfully.

We rank only 22nd in total plays run. We do rank 7th in yds per play, pretty remarkable after how bad we were with Johnson at QB those 3 games.

I mentioned it in another post.(Above)

Reaction score
YoMick;2500893 said:
I am gonna throw out all stats and just agree with this one.

We need to have an effective run game down stretch and in playoffs... or we wont go far.

That is the premise of the whole post!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2499542 said:
You're missing my point. Quick strike and big play offenses never lead the league in rushing attempts. Again, take a look at run % to pass % as a better statistic. That will tell you how run or pass heavy we actually are.

The Vikings of 1998 were a prime example of a quick strike team. They didn't lead the league in rush attempts, but they were still relatively balanced when you look at run/pass percentages.

And the Vikings lost to a more run-oriented Falcons team did they not?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2500903 said:
And the Vikings lost to a more run-oriented Falcons team did they not?

so what? it was one game, a fluke loss...had those two teams played 10 times, the Vikes would have probably won 8 of them. That "run oriented" Falcons team got destroyed in the super bowl in case you forget.

thekavorka

Reaction score
It feels like we're feast or famine in both our passing and running game.

With the running game, it's either one 10 yard run or a couple of 1 yard runs. There's no real consistency and we end up with 3rd and longs.

With the passing game, everything is vertical. And we either get a big play or a 3 and out.

Also, in our last two games, it feels like we haven't converted crucial 3rd and shorts.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
thekavorka;2500930 said:
With the running game, it's either one 10 yard run or a couple of 1 yard runs. There's no real consistency and we end up with 3rd and longs.

and that contributes to why we dont run more.

With the passing game, everything is vertical. And we either get a big play or a 3 and out.

several of you continue to say this, but it isnt true. Look at the number of receptions by the RB's and TE's...They are not running deep routes.

Also, in our last two games, it feels like we haven't converted crucial 3rd and shorts.

we've missed a few, but we have played two of the best defenses in the league...that has something to do with it

Eskimo

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2500842 said:
What do all former players say about the playoffs. Get hot, be able to run the ball and stop the run. If you can do that your chances of winning are much greater.

Being hot part is obvious.

The running part of the game is something that is said lots of time but modern football is much more about passing the ball. Having said that, not many teams are going to be efficient passing the ball in the absence of a respected running threat. To get that respect, we do need a running game that can consistently get us 3-6 yards on rush attempts and we have not been able to do that for many years now. I really think the short-term solution is to play Choice more because he is the guy who can get you that type of production by slipping into small creases to keep generating positive yardage. He is much better at this than Barber who is a bit of a feast-or-famine guy because his galloping/stomping running style means that he does not get to the line quickly which requires our OL to hold their blocks for a long time which leads to penetration and short gains.

I also like what Choice gives us on those screens - the way he reads and sets up blocks in the open field is exceptional. This will take the starch out of the pass rush and force one of the DTs to spy and will create a better pocket for Romo.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
dbair1967;2500912 said:
so what? it was one game, a fluke loss...had those two teams played 10 times, the Vikes would have probably won 8 of them. That "run oriented" Falcons team got destroyed in the super bowl in case you forget.

Problem with your argument? They didn't play 10 times, only one. And that one time the pass-oriented Vikings were up-ended by the run-oriented Falcons.

The Falcons had the type of attack to slow the Vikings down. And they knew to harass Randall Cunningham. I don't think pass-oriented teams can change their mentality. And if a team can take advantage of that, it's hard for a pass-oriented team to readjust.

Second, the Broncos were also a run-oriented team. In fact, the Broncos relied more on Terrell Davis to gear their passing attack than vice versa.

gmsquid

Reaction score
Here's my issue. Running on second and long, not using playaction, and not running quick routes. Honestly, Garrett never calls playaction. And to think in that Steelers game when we were holding the ball and Garrett got conservative, if he had called playaction and taken a shot down field we might have had a shot at increasing that lead even further? Too often, we're just asking receivers to beat people one on one, on deep routes. I think we don't run enough quick-ins and slants especially on first and second down. All our first down plays are these long developing plays. And yeah we have the checkdown to Marion/Choice, but that's not a real quick out, that's just if Romo can't get the ball downfield. Throw Crayton or T.O. on a quick slant over the middle, mix it up some...

The Panch

Reaction score
aikemirv;2499503 said:
I don't have a problem with the running attempts, I have a problem with the extreme vertical nature of the passing game. We need to shorten things up a bit and take some pressure off Romo in doing so.

The screen pass was a series or two too late against the Ginats when it could have prevented that one series where Romo got hammered!
This is my main problem with Garrett. Especially going into this 4 game stretch when he knew we were playing defenses that specialize in getting after the Quarterback. His game plan going into these last two games was pathetic. Im just thankful he finally adjusted last Sunday and didnt get Romo killed.