Highest-paid Top 5 QBs

RoboQB

Reaction score
Why is Justin Herbert the #3 top paid QB in this league?

What has he done in his first four years to justify $52.5M per year?
In his defense, he had the most ignorant HC in the modern Era. But yeah, he doesn't strike me as a killa-type,
ice in his veins-style QB.

Destined to be the guy that lost to the guy that went on to lose to the guy who went on to win Super Bowls...lol

We'll see if Jim Harbaugh changes that for him.

GINeric

Reaction score
Who cares?

This isn't going to be the Cowboys problem.

Yep but we would like the
Why is Justin Herbert the #3 top paid QB in this league?

What has he done in his first four years to justify $52.5M per year?

Don't worry.... every other quarterback outside of Dallas get built-in excuses for their high salary and lack of success on the field.

From what I've read, Cowboys quarterbacks are the only quarterbacks in the league that's held responsible for team losses. When other quarterbacks around the league lose, don't win in the playoffs, or have a trash winning record, its always due to bad coaching or bad play by bad teammates.

GINeric

Reaction score
Played for the Chargers :thumbup:

That's not an excuse. We've been told that good quarterbacks are supposed to elevate the talent around them. From what I've heard and seen, Herbert is on of the most talented quarterbacks in the league.

He hasn't lived up to his talent so, no excuses for him.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Yep but we would like the

Don't worry.... every other quarterback outside of Dallas get built-in excuses for their high salary and lack of success on the field.

From what I've read, Cowboys quarterbacks are the only quarterbacks in the league that's held responsible for team losses. When other quarterbacks around the league lose, don't win in the playoffs, or have a trash winning record, its always due to bad coaching or bad play by bad teammates.
Uh, Big Mike gets attacked regularly on here.
Every week someone would say Dak's WRs aside from Lamb "don't get separation".
"No running game".
The defense "quit".
Jerry and Stephen constantly are attacked. (Rightly so)

I'd say your take is debunked in nearly every thread.

GINeric

Reaction score
Uh, Big Mike gets attacked regularly on here.
Every week someone would say Dak's WRs aside from Lamb "don't get separation".
"No running game".
The defense "quit".
Jerry and Stephen constantly are attacked. (Rightly so)

I'd say your take is debunked in nearly every thread.

Actually it isn't debunked. I've been here long enough to know. Our quarterbacks get blamed for things that happen on defense and special teams. No matter what our quarterbacks production is during a loss, it's always our quarterbacks fault. Just ask Romo and Dak.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Actually it isn't debunked. I've been here long enough to know. Our quarterbacks get blamed for things that happen on defense and special teams. No matter what our quarterbacks production is during a loss, it's always our quarterbacks fault. Just ask Romo and Dak.
"Production during a loss"... that's cute.

"Our great QB threw for over 400 yards but we were down 48-16 with a quarter left to play."

"17 seconds to play with no time outs and our great QB
takes off running down the middle of the field."

"83 yards passing in Buffalo with 2 minutes left to play."

Dude looked defeated in the 1st quarter of a home playoff game while down 7-0 without taking a single snap.
He played the entire 1st half like the mafia had taken his family hostage.

J12B

Reaction score
Dak is 2-0 against Herbert.

Cooper Rush is 1-0 against Burrows.

$60 million AAV for Dak

GINeric

Reaction score
"Production during a loss"... that's cute.

"Our great QB threw for over 400 yards but we were down 48-16 with a quarter left to play."

"17 seconds to play with no time outs and our great QB
takes off running down the middle of the field."

"83 yards passing in Buffalo with 2 minutes left to play."

Dude looked defeated in the 1st quarter of a home playoff game while down 7-0 without taking a single snap.
He played the entire 1st half like the mafia had taken his family hostage.

And I'm not disputing what you're saying.... but it's not like he hasn't been the reason we've won games either. Yes Dak has had his hand in us losing games before but not EVERY loss was on him.

That's all I'm saying.

Dak and Romo both have been blamed for losses that weren't their fault. They both have been blamed for ALL playoff failures. But other quarterbacks in the league who haven't won playoff games in their first 11, 12 seasons on other teams get built in excuses that Cowboys quarterbacks aren't afforded.

Some people like to live in hypocrisy. That's cool. If they like it then I love it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yea, the detractors said same thing 4 years ago.
Yep......I remember many threads that we would never give him a 2nd contract. When that didn't they said he would only get $25-30M. I hate to say it but they may finally get their wish after this season. The writing is on the wall, this could def be his last season as Cowboys QB. To be honest, I sometimes think he may be ready to leave.

RoboQB

Reaction score
And I'm not disputing what you're saying.... but it's not like he hasn't been the reason we've won games either. Yes Dak has had his hand in us losing games before but not EVERY loss was on him.

That's all I'm saying.

Dak and Romo both have been blamed for losses that weren't their fault. They both have been blamed for ALL playoff failures. But other quarterbacks in the league who haven't won playoff games in their first 11, 12 seasons on other teams get built in excuses that Cowboys quarterbacks aren't afforded.

Some people like to live in hypocrisy. That's cool. If they like it then I love it.
I think every playoff loss with Dak was mostly his fault.
He’s paid to be a leader. He doesn't lead. That pick-6
against GB was horrendous.

GINeric

Reaction score
I think every playoff loss with Dak was mostly his fault.
He’s paid to be a leader. He doesn't lead. That pick-6
against GB was horrendous.

That's fair. Now when we played the Rams in that playoff game and our defense surrendered well over 200 yards on the ground..... was that all Dak's fault?

That first 49ers playoff loss, we had 14, 15 penalties and Dak committed none of them. So my question is....

What other quarterbacks in NFL history has overcome their team committing 14, 15 penalties and still was able to pull off a playoff win vs the number one team in the NFL. Again, Dak has played bad and loss us games before, but....

If no other quarterback has led a team past a number one ranked defense after his team committed 14, 15 penalties in a playoff game..... why was Dak expected to?

RoboQB

Reaction score
That's fair. Now when we played the Rams in that playoff game and our defense surrendered well over 200 yards on the ground..... was that all Dak's fault?

That first 49ers playoff loss, we had 14, 15 penalties and Dak committed none of them. So my question is....

What other quarterbacks in NFL history has overcome their team committing 14, 15 penalties and still was able to pull off a playoff win vs the number one team in the NFL. Again, Dak has played bad and loss us games before, but....

If no other quarterback has led a team past a number one ranked defense after his team committed 14, 15 penalties in a playoff game..... why was Dak expected to?
Was that the one the defense held SF to 19 points?
I'd have to go back and break down the penalties.

But yes, I definitely remember the 200 yards. It felt like 500 yards. It also felt like they could call the same play over and over. I can't even remember anything Dak did that game. I'll concede this one without research.

To answer your question. Why?
In no order, I just throw out some points.
- He’s not playing for Cleveland, etc. This is a marquee franchise. Globally!
- He’s the franchise player of a marquee franchise.
- If you want to be paid like you're a winner, you must play like you're a winner. See Mahomes, Patrick. Is it fair to compare? No. But who said life is fair?
- Expectations must be high if you expect high expectations.

Imagine being a fan of any team in, for example, the NFC South(?) TB, Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina.
Think of what the expectations are for those teams and fans. I mean, those teams are just hoping to fill their stadiums. And the fans are just hoping to go 9-8.

I hear your point. But it's time to make a change.
This is year 9 with the QB. It seems to be going backwards. In the end, the fault lies at the feet of
Jerry and Stephen. Unfortunately, they're far too rich to notice, or care, how bad they are as GMs.

(This is probably the longest comment I've ever posted.
Sorry about that, dude...lol.)

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The QB gets his share of criticism as he touches the ball, and has more influence on the game, than any other player. Therefore he gets remunerated for this, HOWEVER, as a trade-off he should also accept the greater share of criticism when HIS failings contribute to any defeat.

We appear to be in a scenario where we're having to pay top money, but acknowledge we need to off-set and protect against Dak's weaknesses, when playing catch-up football (RATHER THAN THE ONUS/RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE IMPROVEMENT COMING FROM .....HIM).

.....and im not a Dak Hater, but he's got to realize that if he's succeeding in Dallas he cant have another (EVERYTHING) contract as he did last time. This may involve a longer contract (even contract for life) and certainly means no NTC.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Regardless of the penalties, the Defense kept the score down to 23 and Dak had two chances with 2:42 remaining to win the game and then the following year 19 pts conceded 3:04 remaining and two drives to tie.
Then in GB game we were 14-0 down at which point Dak had more INTERCEPTIONS than he did Passing Yards.

Shift the blame, or bring in as many relevant factors as you like, but none of it excuses the near fact that Dak cant step up when the pressure to succeed is on.
Dak shows he needs more than just: protection and weapons.....and as such he needs to give a little to aid the help HE's GETTING (time, point's deficit).
Longer contract, without a NTC should help.

GINeric

Reaction score
Regardless of the penalties, the Defense kept the score down to 23 and Dak had two chances with 2:42 remaining to win the game and then the following year 19 pts conceded 3:04 remaining and two drives to tie.
Then in GB game we were 14-0 down at which point Dak had more INTERCEPTIONS than he did Passing Yards.

Shift the blame, or bring in as many relevant factors as you like, but none of it excuses the near fact that Dak cant step up when the pressure to succeed is on.
Dak shows he needs more than just: protection and weapons.....and as such he needs to give a little to aid the help HE's GETTING (time, point's deficit).
Longer contract, without a NTC should help.

Ok I respect what you're saying. But you still haven't answered my question.

What quarterbacks in history won a playoff game against a number one defense after his team committed 14, 15 penalties?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

What quarterbacks in history won a playoff game against a number one defense after his team committed 14, 15 penalties?
That's a tough one to research, do you already have the answer?

Here's another tough one to research, (shoutout to @MountaineerCowboy for finding this one) how many 4th round or later QBs age 30+, have ever gone to their first super bowl with their original team?

None. Zero. Zip.

Signing this guy to an extension is literally the definition of chasing your losses.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

I dont know, but in some ways it's immaterial as it didnt result in a runaway deficit, the score was 23-17. Those penalties may of been a contributory factor, however, so is the fact that Dak had the ball on two occasions to win the game. It may be a harsh standard to evaluate him upon, but those are the 'moneyball' situations you'd expect from your franchise QB.
Pretty much EVERY QB that's won a SB has had to orchestrate a come back win in the play-offs, and this, since his injury appears to be Dak's Achilles Heel , especially when a FG wont do......he can do the yards, but complete execution is worrying (the eye says it's a composure/anxiety issue).