Hilarious that the Cowboys keep throwing money at the offense

kskboys

Reaction score
I seriously doubt his value was next to nothing. Look around the league and how mediocre QBs are getting pay days, but I do agree with your premise.
It was. Back injuries and very high salary. His trade value had nothing to do w/ his play, it was all about not being able to stay on the field any more. All in all, it was a strange situation and I don't think anyone but Romo truly knows what happened.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Should be an upgrade at backup at the very least, so yes, a Green replacement. Not sure anyone knows exactly what we're getting there, aside from the fact that he's smart. Got some high falutin' degrees. Aeronautics and astronautics. Strictly a RT/G. Very powerful, should be able to play OT or OG at a starter quality level.

It's one thing if he is a swing T/G another if he is a starter...

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It was. Back injuries and very high salary. His trade value had nothing to do w/ his play, it was all about not being able to stay on the field any more. All in all, it was a strange situation and I don't think anyone but Romo truly knows what happened.

His salary was not high at all (for a starting QB with his talent) but his cap hit was do to the constant restructuring the team asked him to do because of their own mismanagement of the cap

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Romo has said he was good to go when he came back. You're conflating injuries. His last injury wasn't to a disc it was a broken bone in his back. Completely unrelated.

There are a multitude of teams that would have killed to have him. The question is which of those would he have wanted to play for and uproot his family over?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Again, as you repeat the same fallacy.

Most position groups don't have 4 starters.

Not spending wisely because they're not committing money where I want? Or because they don't have any success to point to?

They've committed a substantial amount of draft picks to the defense and been somewhat successful lately.

Who was out there in FA this year on D that you wanted that makes sense?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
They've committed a substantial amount of draft picks to the defense and been somewhat successful lately.

Who was out there in FA this year on D that you wanted that makes sense?

Navarro Bowman,Tyrann Mathieu, Kenny Vaccaro, Dontari Poe, Haloti Ngata

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Navarro Bowman,Tyrann Mathieu, Kenny Vaccaro, Dontari Poe, Haloti Ngata

Bowman looked like he was wearing down last season. I wouldn't mind him on a one year deal, but I don't think he has much left in the tank.

Mathieu would have been nice, particularly on the deal he got. No argument there.

Poe is a NT that doesn't get much push up the middle, but instead just eats blockers. He doesn't fit our scheme or what our coaches want our DL to do. It says something when a team hard up for DL let's one go. Like it or not, he just doesn't fit our scheme.

Vacarro can't cover a receiver tying their cleats. He's a name at this point almost exclusively. I think if you sat down and watched his film, you'd see he not really much of a player.

Ngata is 97 years old and, again, doesnt fit the scheme at all.

So, you really just wanted a big name? Out if all of those guys, Mathieu is really the only one that made any sense. The others either aren't scheme fits, are too old or frankly, just aren't that good .

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I could have told you without looking that you complained after the fact. My point was that if you want money thrown at FA DL, you were probably very happy with signing Thornton at the time it was announced.

After the fact? I wasn't sold on him being the answer before he even signed. Thornton was never anything special, just like how none of the players we've signed this year have been anything special. Why would anyone be happy about that?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Bowman looked like he was wearing down last season. I wouldn't mind him on a one year deal, but I don't think he has much left in the tank.

Mathieu would have been nice, particularly on the deal he got. No argument there.

Poe is a NT that doesn't get much push up the middle, but instead just eats blockers. He doesn't fit our scheme or what our coaches want our DL to do. It says something when a team hard up for DL let's one go. Like it or not, he just doesn't fit our scheme.

Vacarro can't cover a receiver tying their cleats. He's a name at this point almost exclusively. I think if you sat down and watched his film, you'd see he not really much of a player.

Ngata is 97 years old and, again, doesnt fit the scheme at all.

So, you really just wanted a big name? Out if all of those guys, Mathieu is really the only one that made any sense. The others either aren't scheme fits, are too old or frankly, just aren't that good .

You can poo poo all of these players and say they don't fit (any scheme should fit a good player), but the reality is these are the same poor signings we've seen for the last few years. You and others continue to make excuses for this poor front office that has 2 playoff wins in 20 years... Enough is enough.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Do you think the circumstances of 2015 dictate what 2016 would look like?

We didn't even have a starting QB for most of the year.

But the first big mistake this team made was switching from Romo to Prescott so early. Romo is still on the books, but we're not getting the caliber of QB play we need for the amount we're paying for QBs. Not getting anything out of Romo was also a mistake.

We now have an overpriced offense that is not high powered... think about that...

No, I don't think the circumstances in 2015 dictates what happens now (I assume you mean now, not 2016) but my point was even 2017 will have minimal impact on dictating the circumstances of 2018. There will be a handful of 2017 playoff teams, that miss the playoffs in 2018. And a handful of 2017 teams that were really bad, than end up being pretty good. So much changes from year to year, and often the work guys put into the offseason to improve is the difference.
Is Fleming a significant upgrade? Or is he maintaining the status quo? He was only a part time starter with the Patriots. I don't know much about him to be honest, but I doubt he is a huge improvement over Jonathan Cooper. The question now is whether or not he is a starter or if he is a replacement for Chaz Green's intended position.

What is your WR depth chart?

This team still needs more edge rushers. We shouldn't have gone into the draft needed a linebacker or safety.

As far as Fleming goes, yea, I think he's a significant upgrade. I think he can more or less play up to Collins' level at RT and Collins is a massive upgrade of Cooper, who was below average imo.

The WR depth chart isn't the issue. We have plenty of depth, but what we don't have is a consistent #1.

As far as needing more edge rushers, the offseason isn't over yet. I'll assume that you mean depth as opposed to high end guys, and there are a number of those guys still available. Robert Ayers, Junior Gallette, Parnell McPhee (may be off the market to Washington), Kony Ealy, and Connor Barwin to name a few.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It's one thing if he is a swing T/G another if he is a starter...

He likely is the starting RT and would swap to LT if Tyron misses time. Still need another vet RT or a mid rounder who can step in and play, but overall we're better.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You can poo poo all of these players and say they don't fit (any scheme should fit a good player), but the reality is these are the same poor signings we've seen for the last few years. You and others continue to make excuses for this poor front office that has 2 playoff wins in 20 years... Enough is enough.

Poor signings? Burns was a good deal for a good player. Martin and Flemming are great depth.

I **** on this FO plenty. However, I'm not just a negative Nancy, so I also give credit where due.

You just want to throw money at names. THATS what burned this team and FO so bad and I'm glad they're not doing it.

You want over the hill has beens. To each his own, bur that's not how I want my team spending money, unless it's the final piece.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He likely is the starting RT and would swap to LT if Tyron misses time. Still need another vet RT or a mid rounder who can step in and play, but overall we're better.

I don't agree with this. I think the intention is for him to be a swing tackle and to go after a guard in the draft.