Hiring Mike Zimmer was a dumb move

khiladi

Reaction score
yep, week 1's opponent was a gift...Watson didn't play in preseason, and they were missing both OTs and their star RB. So that was certainly not a true test for this defense, and they still didn't dominate them as well as they should have. How many sacks did the Giants have against them today???? Decidedly more than the Cowboys.
Watson’s shoulder is probably shot too.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t want a retread either but BB should have enough clout and input to finally fix this defense. I just hope he would bring in a creative OC and scheme.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Zimmer was a logical hire, a good defensive mind who would bring accountability back to the defense. Maybe Zimmer is finding out he doesn't have all the right guys to run his scheme, maybe the guys are still trying to figure out the scheme, or maybe the game has passed Zimmer bye.

Right now it's starting to remind me of the Monte Kiffin hire, but let's give it a few weeks. If it's not getting better by then, yeah it was probably a bad hire.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
So sad that this historic franchise had to settle for Zimmer cause we knew he would sign a cheap one year deal.

What once was a proud franchise is now the Cincinnati Bengals of the south

quickccc

Reaction score
Zimmer was a logical hire, a good defensive mind who would bring accountability back to the defense. Maybe Zimmer is finding out he doesn't have all the right guys to run his scheme, maybe the guys are still trying to figure out the scheme, or maybe the game has passed Zimmer bye.

Right now it's starting to remind me of the Monte Kiffin hire, but let's give it a few weeks. If it's not getting better by then, yeah it was probably a bad hire.
i don't think a mere few weeks is enuff evaluation time . what player personnel does Zimmer have now that would suggest (vast)
improvement ?

- just like Quinn, and the Jon Hankins trade, McClay is gonna have to survey the trade wire for hope for a quality vet DT (or two?)
and good luck with that as what team has quality DTs to trade away for late round consideration ?

-and who else is out there on the street as quality vets that the club could sign off the bargain cheap streets right now ?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I would blame Zimmer more if we didn't see the same pathetic defensive performance in Quinns last game. This is a personnel issue. A defense is only as good as its weakest link.........and we a lot of competition for that moniker.
Naw....this is on coaching. And the reason I say that is.....Quinn was aggressive all season long.....then for whatever reason got conservative in the playoffs. It was night and day breaking down that Green Bay tape. We did things in that game we hadn't done all season.

Zimmer's scheme has always been read and react.....some kind of deep soft coverage that just gets picked apart.

Was so weird today.....we blitzed once.....got pressure....and the Ravens had to punt. Didn't do that again the entire game. That's how dumb our staff is. Starting to feel like there is some back stabbing agendas being carried out here.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not many proven candidates want to be on a 1 year deal. The list of coaches they wanted who might accept was probably only Zimmer..

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
As tempted as I am to jump on the Zimmer is a problem argument I’m more on board with d-line deficiencies. Trying to “rebuild” a line that got gouged by a 30+ rb in the playoffs at home last year, with post training camp 30 somethings is a joke within a joke. They have not had a run stopping defense in years. They were winning despite not having one, because they’d open up 3 score leads, and face a qb throwing 50 times a game, The coach has changed, the results haven’t.