Honestly there are 12 guys on this roster I'd cut right now

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by Floatyworm, Aug 8, 2014.

1. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,443 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    We might have found a stud punter in Mandell

2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

49,888 Messages
    17,476 Likes Received
    No, game was on at the same time but I don't think it matters, so far as I am concerned. What the 49ers are has no barring on what the Cowboys are. I'm concerned about the Cowboys and I was not encouraged by our play.

Air Force One likes this.
  3. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

3,486 Messages
    6,735 Likes Received
    Bishop looked fine. The defense, in general, looked better with the combo of Bishop-Coleman than everyone else.

4. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

6,670 Messages
    4,869 Likes Received
    I like how people keep saying preseason or backups ... God forbid these guys are actually in rotation come September THEN what do we say

5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

34,837 Messages
    5,074 Likes Received
    I've been surprised at all the hype on those guys and the Stanford guy. I mean, these are 7th rounders and UDFAs we're talking about. Anything you get out of those guys is a lucky bonus, not something you count on.

But I guess when people are desperate they'll latch on to anything.

acer941 likes this.
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

28,909 Messages
    40,390 Likes Received
    The early 90s championship teams looked like death eating crackers in the preseason.

Dallas didn't play Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Church, Hamilton, Selvie, Melton, McClain, the other McClain, Spencer, Lawrence, Witten, Murray, Dez, or Romo.

That's 15 major contributors, plus Josh Brent.

The story of last night was that Weeden looked fantastic, as did the first AND second team offensive lines. Defensively, Hitchens looked like a keeper, as did Dixon, and Crawford played very well. Coleman looked decent, too, but had no help.

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

49,888 Messages
    17,476 Likes Received
    The Early 90s teams, depending on what you term as early 90s, were light years away from what we have here today. I acknowledged that we were missing players but again, it's not about the starters. If we could play with just the starters, it would be different but that never happens in the NFL. Depth is important for a reason and I didn't see a lot of development in a lot of players last night. Players missing tackles, not playing their assignments, things that should be expected. I understand watching players in pre-season who aren't NFL quality players. That's not what I saw.

8. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

8,742 Messages
    8,209 Likes Received
    On a good day;) Romo isn't 100%

9. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

8,365 Messages
    3,283 Likes Received
    That laugh the whole country heard last night, was the whole city of Jacksonville laughing at Blaine Gabbert. Some real GM traded for Blaine Gabbert and decided to pay him $2M/yr. I will guess SF church attendance will be up this coming Sunday as many will be praying for Kaepernick to stay healthy.

10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

28,909 Messages
    40,390 Likes Received
    The only preseason you should even worry about is the first half of game three. The rest is utterly meaningless.

Proximo, Irvin88_4life and Idgit like this.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

34,837 Messages
    5,074 Likes Received
    Not only can Gabbert not play, he's a total d-bag. Not exactly someone his teammates want to play for.

12. ABQCOWBOY

49,888 Messages
    17,476 Likes Received
    Yep. I don't know why they even televise Pre-Season games, except for the first half of the third game.

Air Force One likes this.
  13. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Staff Member

41,213 Messages
    22,608 Likes Received
    A semblance of quality depth along the defensive line cannot be understated. For Rod Marinelli's rushmen scheme to be most effective, he will need backups who can spell starters and carry our their assignments well. What he cannot have from his backups is poor spacing between linemen while they are rushing up field (or backwards in the case of Nick Hayden). Doing so opens up too many lanes for running backs. Too many times the offensive line was just dominant at the point of attack, mauling defensive linemen completely three or more yards outside their assignments. These guys must learn better discipline and fight harder to stay in position.

jobberone likes this.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

44,367 Messages
    43,915 Likes Received
    The fans didn't know what they had in the summer of 1992. Nobody thought that team was loaded.

15. ABQCOWBOY

49,888 Messages
    17,476 Likes Received
    That's true, most fans probably didn't know what they had there. I don't think this team is very close to that team, in terms of talent and coaching. I hope I'm wrong.

16. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

54,216 Messages
    19,652 Likes Received
    Not close.

17. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

15,023 Messages
    12,754 Likes Received
    B.W. Webb has to go. After watching him avoid tackles last night, I would cut him immediately.

Floatyworm likes this.
  18. JoshAu99

JoshAu99 New Member

11 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still think its the scheme and not having the right players to play this scheme. The Tampa 2 is so outdated and just frees up the middle of the field too much. The Cowboys don't have the LBs that can play Tampa 2 nor do they have the DL. Only time I saw Dallas make a stop was when someone gambled on defense. I know its preseason but some of these players on defense will be counted on for depth. Its imperative this defense stays healthy. Its already missing some key people so injuries may be a trend again this year. As an Auburn fan, I was embarrassed for Ryan Smith. He was awful, and looked small and slow out there. He should not have made the trip back to Dallas with the team.

19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

32,853 Messages
    13,392 Likes Received
    Yes, and for two seasons that he didn't fit the position as well as he did at tackle...lol.

jobberone likes this.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

43,820 Messages
    3,379 Likes Received
    I heard a rumor that Harbaugh was not impressed but the GM insisted. There is definite friction between them.