Honor the contract garbage

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How about start out by explaining to me what "systematic oppression" means.
Seems like my post keeps getting deleted. Just gonna bow out and just agree to disagree. Not sure how much this conversation would do anyway. You seem to have your mind made up on it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Seems like my post keeps getting deleted. Just gonna bow out and just agree to disagree. Not sure how much this conversation would do anyway. You seem to have your mind made up on it.

Im actually interested in what you have to say. I would love for someone to help me understand the whole, "systematic oppression" angle. Because I really dont get it at all.

educate me.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I kinda get tired of people who say that the only ones who are said to have to honor the contract are the players.

This is a complete fallacy. The contract allows for a player to be cut, that is the reason for the signing bonus and guaranteed money That is how the owners honor the contract according to the CBA. If you don't like the CBA, then fine, but you cannot say that the only ones expected to honor the contract are the players.

The NFLPA agreed to the 5th year option in rookie contracts, they did not have to do that but the older players were fine with limiting younger players salaries for the benefit of their own pocketbook.

Love watching Zeke play but why have a CBA and an NFLPA if you are not going to stick to the agreement? Nobody should be forced to go to work, so stay home Zeke if you want to ruin your career! If he does not show up week 1, I hope the Cowboys take the current offer off the table!

That is correct i have yet to see an NFL team not honour any contract they have given out

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That is correct i have yet to see an NFL team not honour any contract they have given out

tenor.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
Im actually interested in what you have to say. I would love for someone to help me understand the whole, "systematic oppression" angle. Because I really dont get it at all.

educate me.

Do you have any familiarity with redlining? It’s been outlawed since the 60’s but some of the wealth gap between whites and minorities to this day, can be attributed to decades of unfair practices when it came to accessing reasonable home loans. The ability to buy property is a big part in helping to create generational wealth that passes down from one generation to the next.

I mean we really aren’t that far removed from civil rights act. Young adults today, their parents were kids when it was passed. We can all agree that blacks didn’t have equal rights prior to that legislation. And again, this still impacts people to this day similar because young adults today, the generation prior to them didn’t have equal opportunities. Less equal opportunities means less people had quality education, access to good jobs, equal pay, etc.

Progress has been made, but it’s slow and frankly, it takes time and more than one or two generations for communities to grow after being faced with the restrictions and inequality that clearly was happening not that long ago.

There’s also the issues with criminal justice. I used to work in the criminal justice system. The organization I worked for did research into these topics blacks are about 20% more likely to be arrested for the same crimes as committed by whites. They are also around the same percentage more likely to be convicted and on average they receive harsher sentences than whites for the same crimes. Blacks are also more likely to be wrongfully convicted than whites. The statistics bare this out.

As most of us know, prison time and having criminal records negatively impacts a persons ability to find quality work and generate wealth for themselves. If you’re 20% more likely to be arrested, convicted and then receive harsher sentences for the same
Crimes as other people. That’s going to have a trickle down affect on the entire community.

That’s what systemic oppression means. It’s oppression generated on a system level. The problem is, our systems are built with people. Therefore, our systems reflect the personal
Biases of the people that make up those systems. So that’s what people mean by systemic oppression.

That doesn’t mean every problem a minority has can be blamed on systemic oppression. Of course that’s not the case. But there are still issues that need to be worked on to continue leveling the playing field.

Progress has been made, but there’s still work to do.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
What planet do you live on? It happens every season.

Ware, 31, was scheduled to make $12.25 million in 2014, part of the six-year, $79 million contract he signed with the Cowboys in 2009. The Cowboys save $16 million in cap space by releasing him.

Cowboys cut DeMarcus Ware, save $16 million

The Cowboys paid everything in Ware contract that was guaranteed money after that if they want to cut him they can without any repercussion, that is the players fault not the owners. Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed except the money in the contract that IS guaranteed after that all bets are off. Look at it this way if a player signs a 5 year 100M deal with 50M guaranteed and the TEAM cuts him after 1 season where they paid him a 10M signing bonus and a 10m salary, the team would have have to give him 30M after cutting him. You are the one who is confused, the only part of Ware 6 year 79m deal the Cowboys had to honour was whatever the guaranteed amount was and they did. After the guaranteed money was paid it become a yearly decision for the team whether or not to keep the player at the amount listed in the contract for that year, if the player is still playing at a high level and his salary is too high for the team, then the team usually would restructure and pay that salary as bonus to spread it out over the next few years, on the flip side if the the players play has maybe declined and the team doesn't feel he is worth the money (non guaranteed at that point) they can either cut him to save on the cap or ask the player to take a pay cut, which is what happenned with Ware

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I work under a contract, and if I don't like it then I have a choice to leave.

EzE made his choice too, so be. man and honor it. There's always the CFL.

Zeke and his agent made an error in judgement if you ask me. Being a 4th overall pick (signing 24.8m contract) and being 21 years old at the start of the 2016 season Zeke made plenty of money and would still be young enough to hold out after his 4th season (even with the team picking up the 5th year option) to get a mega 5 year deal that would see him probably play at least 4 years of maybe 5. hell with the Cowboys picking up his 5th year option even if he got hurt this year that 5th year option would be guaranteed 9.8m. Gurley held out after his 3rd season but he also wasn't a top 5 pick and was making less money than Zeke, his rookie deal was half that of Zeke's. Zeke should be playing this year and holding out next season

GMO415

Reaction score
If he'd clean up his act he would also have endorsements. Who ever heard of a 2X rushing champion with zero endorsements?

He's his own worse enemy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke and his agent made an error in judgement if you ask me. Being a 4th overall pick (signing 24.8m contract) and being 21 years old at the start of the 2016 season Zeke made plenty of money and would still be young enough to hold out after his 4th season (even with the team picking up the 5th year option) to get a mega 5 year deal that would see him probably play at least 4 years of maybe 5. hell with the Cowboys picking up his 5th year option even if he got hurt this year that 5th year option would be guaranteed 9.8m. Gurley held out after his 3rd season but he also wasn't a top 5 pick and was making less money than Zeke, his rookie deal was half that of Zeke's. Zeke should be playing this year and holding out next season

And if you knew a while ago that this was going to be your offseason strategy, then what kind of an idiot continues to go out and get drunk and do stupid things in public? You want a big raise and trying to convince your boss you deserve it. And what does the moron do?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
And if you knew a while ago that this was going to be your offseason strategy, then what kind of an idiot continues to go out and get drunk and do stupid things in public? You want a big raise and trying to convince your boss you deserve it. And what does the moron do?

Exactly, be on your best behaviour and don't make things harder for yourself by going to Vegas getting wasted and shoving or pushing down a security guard

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Exactly, be on your best behaviour and don't make things harder for yourself by going to Vegas getting wasted and shoving or pushing down a security guard

Yep.......Its really just shows you how much of a poor decision maker he is. Clueless, Immature.

Look how Cooper and Dak are handling their new contract talks. Zeke much different. The character of these guys really comes into the picture.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do you have any familiarity with redlining? It’s been outlawed since the 60’s but some of the wealth gap between whites and minorities to this day, can be attributed to decades of unfair practices when it came to accessing reasonable home loans. The ability to buy property is a big part in helping to create generational wealth that passes down from one generation to the next.

I mean we really aren’t that far removed from civil rights act. Young adults today, their parents were kids when it was passed. We can all agree that blacks didn’t have equal rights prior to that legislation. And again, this still impacts people to this day similar because young adults today, the generation prior to them didn’t have equal opportunities. Less equal opportunities means less people had quality education, access to good jobs, equal pay, etc.

Progress has been made, but it’s slow and frankly, it takes time and more than one or two generations for communities to grow after being faced with the restrictions and inequality that clearly was happening not that long ago.

There’s also the issues with criminal justice. I used to work in the criminal justice system. The organization I worked for did research into these topics blacks are about 20% more likely to be arrested for the same crimes as committed by whites. They are also around the same percentage more likely to be convicted and on average they receive harsher sentences than whites for the same crimes. Blacks are also more likely to be wrongfully convicted than whites. The statistics bare this out.

As most of us know, prison time and having criminal records negatively impacts a persons ability to find quality work and generate wealth for themselves. If you’re 20% more likely to be arrested, convicted and then receive harsher sentences for the same
Crimes as other people. That’s going to have a trickle down affect on the entire community.

That’s what systemic oppression means. It’s oppression generated on a system level. The problem is, our systems are built with people. Therefore, our systems reflect the personal
Biases of the people that make up those systems. So that’s what people mean by systemic oppression.

That doesn’t mean every problem a minority has can be blamed on systemic oppression. Of course that’s not the case. But there are still issues that need to be worked on to continue leveling the playing field.

Progress has been made, but there’s still work to do.

I appreciate your response and tried to respond to you privately. For some reason it was telling me my response had to be less then 420 characters and would only let me post like 5 lines of my message. Which distorted my meaning.

Not sure how to further this discussion where we wont get in trouble.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Social issues is just a different way of someone saying they arent happy where they are in life and they want to blame someone else.
that goes down as one of the dumbest
Pretty simple formula for success. Hard work, dedication, education.
Ive been in education for 15 years and if you dont think where you come from doesnt have a MASSIVE impact on where yoiu are going, you are very naive.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yep.......Its really just shows you how much of a poor decision maker he is. Clueless, Immature.

Look how Cooper and Dak are handling their new contract talks. Zeke much different. The character of these guys really comes into the picture.
How about Russel Wilson? Was he mature in his contract? Really not much different than Zeke.