Hot Draft Rumor page leading up to the draft

AzorAhai

Reaction score
You forgot Obi. If that is the pick I think I go into a deep depression.
Him and White are the two players I would probably complain about. I can see why with pretty much every other player linked to them at 28. Not either of those players though and I feel like they are massive reaches.

Tristan

Reaction score
Watt, Barnett, Harris, McKinley if one is there.

In terms of DBs............ I am not big on any of the DBs in the first round......... but gun to head........... Peppers, Awuzie, King, Humphrey if he slid.

I'd even go OJ Howard or Mike Williams or Corey Davis over Jackson at 28.

My fear is the Cowboys are overvaluing him because of the special teams angle. That while they understand he's a raw CB who will need work, that is mitigated by the fact he can return kicks. Frankly, if I am taking a CB in round one, his best attribute better not be, "Hey, he can return kicks!"

That's like being set up on a blind date and when you ask if the girl is attractive, the response is, "you'll love her personality!"
Jackson didnt win the Thorpe award as the nations best DB for his special teams ability, thats a huge bonus as woukd be some jet sweep action!

He has top ten skills imo, he improved every game and was a way better cb in 2016, hes already on par with the others and has an enormous ceiling. I dont see how anyone who actually watched him this year wouldnt be excited to have him, hes a rare beast with the talent to be elite, thats what I want in the 1st!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just read that CB White is more of a press CB than zone CB.

Why would the Cowboys be interested?

Appreciate any insight if I missed something.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jackson didnt win the Thorpe award as the nations best DB for his special teams ability, thats a huge bonus as woukd be some jet sweep action!

He has top ten skills imo, he improved every game and was a way better cb in 2016, hes already on par with the others and has an enormous ceiling. I dont see how anyone who actually watched him this year wouldnt be excited to have him, hes a rare beast with the talent to be elite, thats what I want in the 1st!

One, he's not on par with some of the other CBs. He needs work on consistency and fundamentals. Two, in an age where teams are trending towards bigger WRs and teams are looking for bigger CBs, Jackson isn't a big or strong CB. He struggles with physical play at the LOS. You can find numerous examples of him getting beat off the line. In many cases, he could get away with that because he could out talent and out run the guy he was facing in college. He won't always have that luxury in the pros.

And winning the Thorpe Award is meaningless fluff. Gerard Holliman won it a few years ago and is barely hanging on in the NFL now even after a couple of years. Dennard won it a few years ago and has struggled adapting to the NFL. Shoot, Claiborne won it and it wasn't until last year that he seemed to finally start to put it together.

I'd have no issue with Jackson at 60 or in the middle of the 2nd round if we worked some trades. But not at 28.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Just read that CB White is more of a press CB than zone CB.

Why would the Cowboys be interested?

Appreciate any insight if I missed something.
There is really no rhyme or reason to the CB thing this year. Just looks like they drew up as many bodies as they could be interested in and had at it.

Tristan

Reaction score
One, he's not on par with some of the other CBs. He needs work on consistency and fundamentals. Two, in an age where teams are trending towards bigger WRs and teams are looking for bigger CBs, Jackson isn't a big or strong CB. He struggles with physical play at the LOS. You can find numerous examples of him getting beat off the line. In many cases, he could get away with that because he could out talent and out run the guy he was facing in college. He won't always have that luxury in the pros.

And winning the Thorpe Award is meaningless fluff. Gerard Holliman won it a few years ago and is barely hanging on in the NFL now even after a couple of years. Dennard won it a few years ago and has struggled adapting to the NFL. Shoot, Claiborne won it and it wasn't until last year that he seemed to finally start to put it together.

I'd have no issue with Jackson at 60 or in the middle of the 2nd round if we worked some trades. But not at 28.
Couldnt possibly disagree with your opinion more! But thats cool, enjoy the draft my friend

Sydla

Reaction score
Couldnt possibly disagree with your opinion more! But thats cool, enjoy the draft my friend

You as well. I think my other issue with Jackson is that I see him having his best chance at slot CB. I don't want to take a slot CB at 28.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let me ask a very dumb question.

Was Barnett one of our official visits?

Tristan

Reaction score
I see a pac man jones type talent, everbody else can have the Antrel Roles! Ive never seen a player cover 50 yards faster, full speed in one step, always around the ball and play, loves to hit, will get stronger but hes an olympic caliber athlete with extreme pure baller skills, those dont grow on trees

ksg811

Reaction score
Pretty much any corner would be able to step in and least threaten to take the nickel role if not start.

That said, they should let the position come to them organically as it is the strength of this draft. They should not seek it out right away like it is some massive need.

I think the Scandrick has the nickelback covered. He's been good in that role for us when healthy. I'm thinking more against Carroll for the outside corner opposite Anthony Brown.

I agree that it's not a position that needs to be sought out early to be filled. I think we have a good idea in what we are getting from Brown and Scandrick and I think Carroll is a much better fit under Marinelli than Jim Schwartz's off man scheme.