Houston Chronicle: Time is ripe for Texans to overtake Cowboys in the eyes of Texas

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL.......they may become the Texas team but they will never be America's team

1942willys

Reaction score
its all talk right now

BUT

It the texans were to go all the way and win it; and be contenders to win it again for several years while we are only 'relevant'....

I could see a change coming.

But it would take years

It is not impossible; those just laughing it off right now should remember That in the 50's the cleveland browns were the NFL poster boys

Could the Texans become #1 in texas? It is possible; but it would take probably ten years of them steadily doing better on the field and also matching Jerry in other ways and remember Jerry is 82.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm sure Jerry doesn't care at this point due to his age, but younger football fans are not flocking to the Cowboys as they did in the past, especially on a national scale. Fans from when the Cowboys were truly Americas team are literally dying off and the lack of post season success, along with the major media personalities like the Skip Bayless's of the world have driven newer fans away to other teams.

Houston currently is zero threat to actually 'taking over' the Cowboys in this regard right now, but a team in a massive market like Houston making a couple of deep playoff runs and a super bowl over the next few years could change things quicker than most would admit.

starfan1

Reaction score
ya someone bookmark this when houston comes back down to earth. I wish a segment of this board would become texan fans we could only be so lucky. I will watch the texans but ill watch any football but only 1 team keeps me coming back regardless of how things pan out.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Texans are a fun team to watch...

Can they overtake the Cowboys? I don't think so.

But they have youth and potential on their side to be really intriguing on the AFC side..

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't care as long as he's making money. shrugs, what else are they for him?

kskboys

Reaction score
Looks that way for sure. See if they start stepping on their own feet as usual.

blueblood70

Reaction score
960x0.webp

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex.../texans-cowboys-battle-for-texas-18688895.php

"....The Texans play the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington this upcoming season. That will be a bigger game in the battle for the state than the franchise’s inaugural game. There was no chance the Texans could overtake the Cowboys back then. But now … they have the best and most popular quarterback in the state leading the way."
I'm not even gonna bother reading this article because it's gonna take them about a decade or two to catch up to probably even 1 Super Bowl heck even a Super Bowl appearance for that matter and then another couple decades to catch the 5 Super Bowl wins out of the 8 appearances that the Dallas Cowboys have had where they've had three yes count that three different names now because if you count Houston Oilers the Texans and yes the people that moved on i mean i'm i'm mixed up is that the ....uper bowl under three different names..

These are the redheaded cousins of Texas and they will never be on the Cowboys level and by the way how about let's overreact to a rookie quarterback who had a surprisingly really good season but where was this guy picked in the draft let's talk about all the excitement we had with one Dakota Prescott who was rookie of the year 111 games in a row and had it not been for his bad defense would have also won a game in the playoffs his rookie year and how great he's been and this guy's getting all these kudos for one good season look the Texans this could be an anomaly they could be back to winning only seven games this year can we like tap the brakes a little bit on overreacting to a playoff appearance and by the way let's just stay with the Texans didn't they say that about the Sean Watson wasn't this same stuff said when he had a couple good years in Houston??

All the alleged cowboy fans in here that will post about 28 years well why don't you count up how many years those 3 franchises have had without a Super Bowl and then get back to me about how terrible we are as a franchise and how you hate Jerry Jones and you want to get rid of Prescott even though we've won 36 games two division titles a bit of the playoffs three straight years show me how the Texans are better than that somehow they're getting kudos for one good season we've had three in a row and plenty of success under Prescott..

Let us know in about 5 years how this works out proceed CJ Stroud in the Texans because right now it's just one anomaly it counts as nothing if you're really trying to compare them to the Cowboys regardless of our little drought we still are clearly better than them...​

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Texans are definitely the better team, they have a real QB, but the Cowboys will continue to be the grand stage team of Texas and America for no valid reason.

jgboys1

Reaction score
No! No! No!
We are the Dallas Cowboys with 5 Super Bowls and we have Dak and Jerry!
How can anyone top that?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Texans are a fun team to watch...

Can they overtake the Cowboys? I don't think so.

But they have youth and potential on their side to be really intriguing on the AFC side..
Well that and the fact that it's a one off year this is anomaly until they string something together this is a straight up overreaction, you're seeing plenty of teams have one good year and then drop off a Cliff the next year.... Nobody saw them coming but they know who they are now and they'll have a wait up for schedule this year so yeah, I say this is a complete overreaction...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
But only by sucking and trading off talent.
Or you can be good and trade off talent proactively. KC did it very well in the Tyreek Hill trade. They recouped 5 draft picks and saved a ton of money in doing so. The New England dynasty was known for trading guys right before their contracts were up. They Cowboys would never entertain the idea of trading a player while their value is high.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The Texans are definitely the better team, they have a real QB, but the Cowboys will continue to be the grand stage team of Texas and America for no valid reason.
The Cowboys are living on glory amassed by their past. The modern day Cowboys are at best a very average team. Great at beating up the minnows, but beyond that nothing else. What they do have is a terrific PR department. About the only advantage they have.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspect the Texans will be a better team for the foreseeable future. However , what makes the cowboys the cowboys is the history and tradition of the franchise. The Texans have none of that and may never.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how exciting Houston could be, the Texans have a very long way to go to take the eyes of Texas off Dallas. The Cowboys are consistently and constantly one of the most-watched teams in the NFL, if not the most-watched.

Not saying that means much to us, but when you are going to write something like this, you need to realize Houston's chances of ever taking the focus off Dallas, especially for very long, are extremely slim.
true but it all depends on what houston / stroud does this coming season.
They need to get to the SB to get more attention .

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I suspect the Texans will be a better team for the foreseeable future. However , what makes the cowboys the cowboys is the history and tradition of the franchise. The Texans have none of that and may never.
I think if the Texans build a team around Stroud they can certainly vie for a few titles, certainly a lot more compelling to watch Stroud play QB than Dak. His rookie season he already plays with more awareness and command of the position than Dak has ever shown.