Houston Chronicle: Time is ripe for Texans to overtake Cowboys in the eyes of Texas

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dallas hasnt won a SB in THIS century !! lol the "shine" is long gone.
If Houston can win a SB soon, they could become Texas's team and be more popular here than Dallas.
If your bringing up 5 superbowls , man your living in the past. Dallas was a great team, but those days are long gone.

Dallas is boring now.
Houston could be exciting .

I followed Houston with watson and the team before that, but I could see both teams just didnt have the HC or the QB.
Houston now has the better HC and better QB.
This team might do something,

Watson was good, but not that good, mainly he had the one good wr to bail him out till they traded him to arizona.
(still cant believe cleveland paid him all that money lol , that was pure insanity or super stupidity !! lol)

Houston is more interesting than dallas right now, it remains to be seen if they can do it again this season.
I think houston has a better chance of getting past the div round than dallas does.
First of all, a team doesn't "overtake" another in popularity. That's up the fans in the state.

And it's nearly always amazing, a team goes 3-13, has a last place finish or near to it, gets some hotshot qb that teams have never seen in the NFL, have a pretty good season and all of a sudden "Hey, we're one of the best teams in the league!", only to come crashing down to earth when teams have game film on the hotshot team and the team has to play a tougher schedule the next year. We'll see if Houston is really a great team in the next couple of years.

Similar to what Roger said about greatness, it takes a while to climb up to high popularity. Cowboys didn't get there by being good 4-5 years. The America's Team moniker that was bestowed upon them wouldn't have been thought of without the 20-year winning record & 9-0 playoff appearance streak, having a multitude of great players and appearing on the television many times every year and other things.

Oh, the Texans might one day become what Dallas is now, as far as we know the NFL will be around another 100+ years, plenty of opportunity for Houston.

But you don't anoint yourself as such, it has to be given to you, and Texans fans such as yourself will have to wait....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well that and the fact that it's a one off year this is anomaly until they string something together this is a straight up overreaction, you're seeing plenty of teams have one good year and then drop off a Cliff the next year.... Nobody saw them coming but they know who they are now and they'll have a wait up for schedule this year so yeah, I say this is a complete overreaction...
Well, I don't think they are an anomaly. I actually watched them alot this year. They lost a few games early on on last sec field goals. You saw the rookie mistakes by CJ Stroud. You saw the mistakes by a rookie head coach.

But as the season wore on, you saw a team learning how to win. They're going to be really interesting to watch next year as they continue to shore up their team.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't care as long as he's making money. shrugs, what else are they for him?
If you think Jerry doesn't want another SB win above anything else, you are sadly mistaken my friend.

He does, but he also has to do it as the general manager of the Cowboys, and that's been the problem for 28 years....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, I don't think they are an anomaly. I actually watched them alot this year. They lost a few games early on on last sec field goals. You saw the rookie mistakes by CJ Stroud. You saw the mistakes by a rookie head coach.

But as the season wore on, you saw a team learning how to win. They're going to be really interesting to watch next year as they continue to shore up their team.
wheres your proof>? you have zero me saying they might be a one year wonder has as much validity as you think and they don't all I saw is 1 good year that all we got,

stop making excuses about missed field goal because,

I can tell you the only reason Prescott hasn't further his career is because of bad defense, no run game , lack or physical offensive line ,poor game planning, I mean he doesn't have the coaching or the execution by his teammates in the team game and yet you're going to bring up a missed field goal and make an excuse to why he didn't go further Prescott has that same exact argument if you wanna debate it we could go back to every game like the 14 penalty game somehow he's responsible for that San Francisco loss even though 11 penalties were on the offensive line and again 2016 that was on the defense, 2018 also on the defense and also a game with no run game or physical offensive line and then we have the 2021 that's 14 penalties and some questionable calls 2022 more the same crap 2023 more the same crap add in 7tds by the defense but the one thing I do see, Prescott's never been part of a losing season himself when he's a starter from end to end been to the playoffs 5 out of eight seasons so you're going to start making excuses for CJ Stroud and the Texans we can go all day for every team and why they didn't make it...

So again you have no proof I say they could be an anomaly that's why I'm saying you're way way early like five years too early because unless they string something together they've already done this they did this with the Watson and it failed.

Let's see CJ Stroud overcome those things when his team literally has a defense not show up and no matter how much times he moves the ball and goes down to score the defense is going to give up another touchdown and another touchdown or give up 10 yards per carry on the ground 278 yards on the ground or have your teammates not get open and have no support behind you like let's see him when he has to carry a team if he could do so they had some things go right this year and I say it's a one off until we see further proof...

ICP

Reaction score
Good for them, it honestly amazes me that the Cowboys are still as popular as they are.

LOBO7

Reaction score
Texans wont have a last place schedule next year.
See what they really got.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
960x0.webp

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex.../texans-cowboys-battle-for-texas-18688895.php

"....The Texans play the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington this upcoming season. That will be a bigger game in the battle for the state than the franchise’s inaugural game. There was no chance the Texans could overtake the Cowboys back then. But now … they have the best and most popular quarterback in the state leading the way."
I bet they're a lot of guys around here that hope so. They would love to see this just to dump on Jerry and Dak and say " I told you so, I was right".

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I will admit Stroud is a good QB. I've watched many of his games. I'd like to see him play for a couple more years, though, before making a more accurate assessment. Personally, I think he's going to be good for a while. Texans are lucky they drafted him. However, the Texans will need to do way more before "overtaking the Cowboys in the eyes of Texas". That's just silly.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I will admit Stroud is a good QB. I've watched many of his games. I'd like to see him play for a couple more years, though, before making a more accurate assessment. Personally, I think he's going to be good for a while. Texans are lucky they drafted him. However, the Texans will need to do way more before "overtaking the Cowboys in the eyes of Texas". That's just silly.
Dunno about "way more" - There are more Texans today who don't even remember what the Cowboys winning a SB looks like. All they have is old videos and photos of it. Couple that with the hubris shown by the current crop of players.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Might be a good thing for the Cowboys and their fans. If it were to happen, it might spur the ownership/management group to dramatically change what they've been doing so unsuccessfully for the last quarter of a century.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
If you think Jerry doesn't want another SB win above anything else, you are sadly mistaken my friend.

He does, but he also has to do it as the general manager of the Cowboys, and that's been the problem for 28 years....
naw, he's resigned to knowing he's an idiot and it will never happen.

khiladi

Reaction score
960x0.webp

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex.../texans-cowboys-battle-for-texas-18688895.php

"....The Texans play the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington this upcoming season. That will be a bigger game in the battle for the state than the franchise’s inaugural game. There was no chance the Texans could overtake the Cowboys back then. But now … they have the best and most popular quarterback in the state leading the way."
CJ Stroud is way more marketable than Dak, plus he’s actually good at his job…. It’s beautiful to watch him throw the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak won more games and had better stats.
Stroud is a rookie, totally transformed a franchise, won his first playoff game and didn’t do a choke job and had way better TD-INT ratio, with two of the receivers, Brown and Schultz, that Dak-Stan’s said were dragging Dak down last year and didn’t play in the garbage NFC East.

But yeah Tad.. you go ahead with Dak..

rambo2

Reaction score
Stroud is a rookie, totally transformed a franchise, won his first playoff game and didn’t do a choke job and had way better TD-INT ratio, with two of the receivers, Brown and Schultz, that Dak-Stan’s said were dragging Dak down last year and didn’t play in the garbage NFC East.

Lol

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

They're all in on dak, they can't back off now. It's sad. :(