How are the Cowboys not a top 10 offense?

gmoney112

Reaction score
OL wasn't top tier. We sucked at scoring in the redzone. Garrett's offense, oh sorry I mean Linehans, usually waited 3 quarters to actually attack.

There were only 3 teams worse than us at scoring in the redzone. A gutted offense playing with a backup QB in SF, a Sam Darnold led team for perennial winners the Jets, and the always entertaining Bortles led Jaguars.

It's pretty telling for an OC and Head Coach when you have pretty decent talent on offense, and you are just abysmal in the redzone.

"How" we were that bad is a mystery. I mean, we know "why", because the coaching sucked. That's readily apparent. How? I don't know. It's almost like the offensive coaching thought they could just "out execute" everybody with stale concepts that good defenses see coming, even if playing that way was a strength to the other team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok who on earth said they didn't use stats to support their argument? You are reaching.

No, that would be you. The guy who thinks because he "watches games", it trumps anything else.

It doesn't.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It boggles my mind how people look at stats vs watching the games to voice their confusion....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OL wasn't top tier. We sucked at scoring in the redzone. Garrett's offense, oh sorry I mean Linehans, usually waited 3 quarters to actually attack.

There were only 3 teams worse than us at scoring in the redzone. A gutted offense playing with a backup QB in SF, a Sam Darnold led team for perennial winners the Jets, and the always entertaining Bortles led Jaguars.

It's pretty telling for an OC and Head Coach when you have pretty decent talent on offense, and you are just abysmal in the redzone.

"How" we were that bad is a mystery. I mean, we know "why", because the coaching sucked. That's readily apparent. How? I don't know. It's almost like the offensive coaching thought they could just "out execute" everybody with stale concepts that good defenses see coming, even if playing that way was a strength to the other team.

I think that anyone would be hard-pressed to find an offensive coordinator and staff that did less with more than what Scott Linehan and this Cowboys offense had.

You can go up and down the roster and compare it to anyone in the league and from 1st round picks and talents, to Pro Bowl players, this team was as well stocked as anyone.

And that's why Scott Linehan was FIRED. I can say it even if the Cowboys can't.

They gave him enough rope last year (too much in fact after his abysmal 2017), and he hung himself.

And he deserved it.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont think we will score enough points to be a top 10 offense,we will still be a ball control,run oriented team with a good Defense,

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe the defense isn't so 'clutch" when we need them to be.
Bingo, all of these stats are useless, it all comes down to can the D make the stop when it's all on them? The Cowboys D hasn't done that in decades. However, there are few teams that can get the lead and turn it over to their D to close it out.

The greatest misnomer in football history is the Prevent Defense. Nothing more than BDBD only worse as the Prevent allows for fewer plays to get down the field.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No problem, I hope it registers. This thread hasn't been one of your better moments and I hope you realize that.

I agree. I shouldn't' have to argue that stats don't tell the whole story or what I meant by looking at stats only Stafford would be considered one of the best........but I stooped low enough to have to do it. A low point on my site I agree.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
per nfl.com the cowboys don’t have a top 10 offense despite having a top rb, top tier wr, top tier oline and top 10 qb...boggles the mind

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...10-offenses-saints-colts-eagles-best-of-bunch

Why would they rate us as a top 10 offense? We havent been close to that the last two years. If and when the Oline gets fixed, which there are many question marks, then maybe we can talk about it.

Its about proof, not whats on paper.

Then we have the issue of Jason Garrett ANOTHER season and an unknown first time greenhorn calling plays.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This thread is a clear window into the world of fan homerism. There is really no reason, at this point, to think the Cowboys are getting slighted here.

Even if you just look at points per game (including the playoffs) with Cooper, it would average out to 22.3 points per game which would only move them up a few spots in the points per game rankings.

Now add in an OC that has been coaching for one year and how in the world can people expect outsiders to think this offense is ready to just starting plowing people?

If Frederick returns to form and Moore is at least pasable, then there is no reason to think this offense shouldnt take off. But for a preseason ranking to put us there with all the question marks is perfectly understandable.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
The wr group isn’t very deep. Also Gallup is more projection than production to this point.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The wr group isn’t very deep. Also Gallup is more projection than production to this point.

Why do you say this? 8 starts, 33 Receptions, 507 yards. I think you can easily expect him to put up, at least that level of production next year and it is entirely reasonable to assume that those numbers will actually improve. I would say that we can realistically expect him to double is production across the board at a minimum in his second season. I think that's a very reasonable expectation.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Why do you say this? 8 starts, 33 Receptions, 507 yards. I think you can easily expect him to put up, at least that level of production next year and it is entirely reasonable to assume that those numbers will actually improve. I would say that we can realistically expect him to double is production across the board at a minimum in his second season. I think that's a very reasonable expectation.
Doubling production is a projection. I think it may happen but There is some risk.

500 yards from wr2 is not good.

When I look at elite or even very efficient offenses they have some weapons that threaten the defense more and they have more explosive plays. Part of that is scheme. Part of it is lack of true speed guys outside. Cooper is the only very good speed among the main weapons. I would love to have a 4.3 guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not every QB. Only the less prolific passers.

Obviously our front office doesn’t believe he’s the problem. Hopefully if they were as unsure as we are they wouldn’t be All In?
I don't think it's that so much as finding a better QB is extremely difficult, so they're going w/ what they have.

The good thing is that w/ Stephen, we at least seem to be more concerned w/ adding the right players to try and make Dak successful. As opposed to adding a great slant runner (RW) when your QB's weaking throw is the slant(Romo). That was simply dumber'n dirt. Dumping Dez and adding Coop and Gallup was a great first step. And now we have the prolific pass catching RB(And possibly slot WR) what we've been needing in Pollard, and the OLine should be better.

Most of my buds agree. We simply don't know what Dak will be at this point. He's definitely been hindered by this O, and by his lack of development. We have been very poor in general at developing players up to this point. Extreme evidence was this preseason when Dak hardly played at all. Dak still needs development, and acting as if he was an established vet in preseason cost us dearly. Very poor decision by this FO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doubling production is a projection. I think it may happen but There is some risk.

500 yards from wr2 is not good.

When I look at elite or even very efficient offenses they have some weapons that threaten the defense more and they have more explosive plays. Part of that is scheme. Part of it is lack of true speed guys outside. Cooper is the only very good speed among the main weapons. I would love to have a 4.3 guy.

Yeah, we don't agree. He started 8 games, it's reasonable to assume that he will start all 16 if injury free. If that happens, his production projects to 60+ receptions and 1000+ yards. That's a helluva good year for a #2 WR. I don't see anybody beating him out and I also don't agree that he is not an explosive WR. Gallup beat the Defense on many occasions last year. For whatever reason, we couldn't take advantage of a very high percentage of those opportunities, relative to how many times he actually was open for 6 but that should only get better with time. Gallup is very explosive IMO. I am not seeing what you are seeing.