How are the Cowboys not a top 10 offense?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, in 2018, our Offense was ranked 22nd in the league. I mean, that's bordering on the bottom third of the league. Honestly, I don't know how anybody could complain much about not looking at our team as a top 10 Offense, at this point. At some point, you gotta put up results.
And that’s with a top 5 rushing offense. Which means our passing offense is the problem .

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn’t rankings like Top 10 usually reflect total yards which is a direct correlation to moving the chains, hence ball control, which ultimately leads to scoring TD’s and points.

In other words a top offense is more likely to control TOP and or score more points ?
Yes and no. W/ the current rules of no touchy, no breathy in the wrong direction, O's are going to put up a ton of yards in the passing game, which makes it all that much harder to judge using yards.

However, as a standalone stat, total yards is by far the best way to judge an O and a D. There simply isn't one stat to judge them accurately.

Remember the 2010 Chargers? #1 in both D and O. And MISSED THE PLAYOFFS!!!

Funky stuff, those stats!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I look just at offensive scoring
But all stats can be misleading over a whole season
But if you have a solid defense and can score 28 points a game you will win lots of gsmes
I understand but NFL stats represent total scoring which can be misleading and why turnovers are often the most equalizing stat in a game when a team controls TOP and total yards.

conner01

Reaction score
Absolutely. However, if you score too quickly, you'll gas your D and will lose late in the game. Scoring is only one part of the equation.
That’s true
TOP with our run game and for most of the season, 3rd down conversion was good
We just fell flat in the redzone
That’s the biggest issue Moore has to get fixed

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really does.

No, it really doesn't. You score more points than your opponent, you win. That's how football works.

Think about it, Stash. There have been a pile of teams who tried to win using points as the emphasis. They pretty much all lost to ball control D teams. SD and MINN in the 70's, BUFF in the 90's, ATL year before last, DEN before the ywent D, Oilers, INDY w/ PManning, GB w/ Rodgers. Using points as the emphasis will win your division and get you to the playoffs, but then you will fizzle out as the ball control teams win it.

Why? Because they couldn't score points when they had to! Your examples do nothing to change the fact that the team that scores the most points wins.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand but NFL stats represent total scoring which can be misleading and why turnovers are often the most equalizing stat in a game when a team controls TOP and total yards.
I am back and forth on Dak, but one thing I do like about him is that he's not a TO machine. Dude takes care of the ball, mostly. That is one of the primary reasons why he has mostly been a winning QB, despite his inconsistencies.

This O just needs a few tweaks to really become something.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s true
TOP with our run game and for most of the season, 3rd down conversion was good
We just fell flat in the redzone
That’s the biggest issue Moore has to get fixed
Redzone is a big concern for us.

And in Rams playoff game going 1 for 10 on 3rd downs was a huge contributing factor.

We struggle badly on 3rd and long. Our passing offense is our weakness which some of that is on our QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Even if you take out that Colts game.......... they then averaged 22.6 points per game which puts them around 18th. So no, the Colts game is not significantly weighing down their average, that's a myth.

And if we adjust out the bad game for the Cowboys, shouldn't we adjust ALL the teams for their bad games too? For example, the Eagles were 18th in scoring. But they only scored 7 points against the Saints, so let's adjust their scoring average for that game, right?

Again, we aren't talking about "solid". The premise of this thread is people perplexed as to why this team isn't listed as a potential Top 10 offense in 2019.

In reality, what's really perplexing is the people that think the Cowboys are being disrespected by not being called one of the Top 10 offenses heading into the season.
I got them at 24.8 without the Colts game which I’ll take it especially with crappy play calling and without Fredericks.

And that may be the reason of this thread but my point is there’s a argument to be made for why the Chiefs are better than the Colts and Eagles and why there’s a argument for why the Cowboys could be better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Using your eyes and common sense.

Also known as a fan's opinion. Great thinking there...
:rolleyes:

A team that is run first and wants to control the clock is going to have worse stats then someone who is pass first and have more offensive possessions.

Why? Why is that some "given"? To defend the fact that the Cowboys offense wasn't good? Once again, fan opinion vs the truth. I see the pattern. Their offensive struggles and issues weren't by design or some result of being "run first", they struggled. And nowhere more evident than in the red zone, where "run first" should be an advantage not a disadvantage, yet they were still 22nd in points scored and bottom of the league in red zone.

If your "style of offense" is your excuse for failure to score points, guess what? Change your offense!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Also known as a fan's opinion. Great thinking there...
:rolleyes:

Why? Why is that some "given"? To defend the fact that the Cowboys offense wasn't good? Once again, fan opinion vs the truth. I see the pattern. Their offensive struggles and issues weren't by design or some result of being "run first", they struggled. And nowhere more evident than in the red zone, where "run first" should be an advantage not a disadvantage, yet they were still 22nd in points scored and bottom of the league in red zone.

If your "style of offense" is your excuse for failure to score points, guess what? Change your offense!
Change your offense for what? To please fantasy players? I don’t care what their stats look like if it results in wine. I think it’s smart to keep your defense off the field as much as possible. That’s not the Cowboys problem. Their offensive playbook is the problem.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, it really doesn't. You score more points than your opponent, you win. That's how football works.

Why? Because they couldn't score points when they had to! Your examples do nothing to change the fact that the team that scores the most points wins.
Of course, but that's an oversimplification to be reserved for drunken barroom discussions. There is so much more to it than that. The teams who went w/ this idea always lost. I named them earlier. The teams who religiously marched down the field taking up 6+ minutes are the teams who generally win it all. I remember back w/ Emmit sometimes getting the ball first, and taking around 9 minutes off the clock to score. That's how you kill other teams.

It's not the number of points, it's using TOP to your advantage and then getting the ball in the end zone. Scoring TD's in the red zone when you get there is paramount to success in the playoffs. If you're kicking FG's, you better have an absolute shut down D.

There are a ton of factors to scoring more points than your opponent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am back and forth on Dak, but one thing I do like about him is that he's not a TO machine. Dude takes care of the ball, mostly. That is one of the primary reasons why he has mostly been a winning QB, despite his inconsistencies.

This O just needs a few tweaks to really become something.
I think there’s a reason why he doesn’t turn it over. He takes very few chances downfield which his indecisiveness and inconsistency is a contributing factor to our passing offense at times. And my hunch is these same tendencies are a hindrance in Redzone as well.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So you too think the Eagles and Colts are a better offense than Chiefs? You’re as crazy as they are then.

Take Amari Cooper and Ezekiel Elliot off the Cowboys. How much different in the rankings are they?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Change your offense for what? To please fantasy players? I don’t care what their stats look like if it results in wine. I think it’s smart to keep your defense off the field as much as possible. That’s not the Cowboys problem. Their offensive playbook is the problem.

Scoring is the problem. As in being not good at it. Score more points that the other guy and you win every game every time. But you want to try to discount the actual numbers and stats that show their issues in place of your own opinions?

Morgan-Freeman-Saying-Good-Luck-The-Dark-Knight.gif

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The answer is obvious. Dak is th reason we are not a top 10 offense. He is erratic - he does not hit receivers in stride - he misses on too many wide open deep throws. Teams stack the box to stop the run because they dare Dak to beat them and he cant consistently.

AmazIng, with all those flaws and a great 2nd half with Cooper on board, Dak still finished with a 67.7% completion.

Hey, how was Zeke and the d vs the Rams? Why doee Dak always get called out when the offense struggles, but the biggest game in the playoffs, everyone has short term memory with Zeke.