How bad will Garrett be this year?

preacher238

Reaction score
Sickwitit;4556854 said:
Ohh goodness gracious! I understand everyone has their on opinion, but this one completely and utterly stupid.

Yep.....thou hast well spoken

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556830 said:
I think it was motivation, enthusiasm and confidence. Garrett doesn't exactly motivate me, enthuse me or give me confidence.
I'm still not sure what is was, .. I can't put my finger on it.

I think JG is a good coach, and hopefully as he gains more experience he will become an even better coach.

He was a good enough coach to have his team ahead in the 4th quarter in many of those games.

So I don't agree that he is not a good coach. Can he get better? Yes.

I'm hoping the character guys he is bringing in have that nasty competitive bone too.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4556875 said:
I'm still not sure what is was, .. I can't put my finger on it.

I think JG is a good coach, and hopefully as he gains more experience he will become an even better coach.

He was a good enough coach to have his team ahead in the 4th quarter in many of those games.

So I don't agree that he is not a good coach. Can he get better? Yes.

I'm hoping the character guys he is bringing in have that nasty competitive bone too.

Do you think the players had enough confidence in him?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556887 said:
Do you think the players had enough confidence in him?

I wouldn't know.

They just seemed to accept losing too easily.

When you think of the monumental losses we have had, in important games recently. (last game at TS and first game at CS, big games with Eagles and Giants at the end of seasons with everything on the line)

When you think of the games we were in a position to win and then found a way to lose. Worst in team history.

I know they have ripped my heart out and stomped it on the ground quite a few times recently.

They lack something that the successful teams have.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4556957 said:
I wouldn't know.

They just seemed to accept losing too easily.

When you think of the monumental losses we have had, in important games recently. (last game at TS and first game at CS, big games with Eagles and Giants at the end of seasons with everything on the line)

When you think of the games we were in a position to win and then found a way to lose. Worst in team history.

I know they have ripped my heart out and stomped it on the ground quite a few times recently.

They lack something that the successful teams have.

I agree. My guess, at this point, is that they lack a qualified NFL coach. On paper, Garrett impresses me. On the field, he makes me want to cry.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556963 said:
I agree. My guess, at this point, is that they lack a qualified NFL coach. On paper, Garrett impresses me. On the field, he makes me want to cry.
LOL! You've made your point numerous times already. What's up man? Why do you persist?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
StevenOtero;4556974 said:
LOL! You've made your point numerous times already. What's up man? Why do you persist?

Isn't that what we do on here? We analyze and persist being fans even though it doesn't really do anything for us? I mean, it is the offseason. What would you rather speculate about?

CCBoy

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556978 said:
Isn't that what we do on here? We analyze and persist being fans even though it doesn't really do anything for us? I mean, it is the offseason. What would you rather speculate about?

How about something drama filled, like whether or not either Roy Williams or TO will be on the carpet this season? Maybe who does the hair clippings for Red?

I know...who will have the very worst hair cut at camp and who will carry the first pair of shoulder pads for Dez Bryant?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CCBoy;4556980 said:
How about something drama filled, like whether or not either Roy Williams or TO will be on the carpet this season? Maybe who does the hair clippings for Red?

I know...who will have the very worst hair cut at camp and who will carry the first pair of shoulder pads for Dez Bryant?

..sounds about right.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
https://lh5.***BROKEN***/-Jm38Ay9KDag/T6phur4klvI/AAAAAAAAOaA/G4FvRxKlh70/w497-h373/IMG_0793.GIF

StevenOtero

Reaction score
5Stars;4557390 said:
https://lh5.***BROKEN***/-Jm38Ay9KDag/T6phur4klvI/AAAAAAAAOaA/G4FvRxKlh70/w497-h373/IMG_0793.GIF
[youtube]KHy7DGLTt8g[/youtube]

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
I'm a little confused at why the original post is so controversial. If most people seem to agree that Garrett should get a "B-" for 2011, it seems pretty obvious that we're going to have some people in the very positive camp and some people in the very negative camp.

I think it depends on what matters to you.

I think that Garrett has a lot of "right-sounding" ideas that resonate with people, and for good reason. Having the "right kind" of people creates a foundation of stability, of mistake-free, if not necessarily excellent football. When that's the foundation, when that's the culture you've built, you can start layering on raw talent that is forced to live within that culture. It's not an easy game to play, but Garrett certainly seems to be working toward it. If he gets a chance (from Jerry, from the fans, from the media), I think that he has a very high likelihood of being successful.

But I'm not sure how anyone can look at 2011 and conclude that Jason wasn't overwhelmed by the sum total of his more "tactical" duties. It's hard to be objective about this, but anecdotally I absolutely felt that our play-calling became very stale and very predictable. I felt that game management on a number of occasions was extremely poor. Opinions on these things can vary, but in my opinion, Jason was well below average in this category in 2011.

The other problem is that the culture that Jason is preaching hasn't yet really made its way through the organization. It's hard to blame him - this kind of thing takes time, it takes roster churn and it takes Jerry taking a back seat at times. But can we look at the penalties, the boneheaded execution mistakes and say that the "RKG" philosophy has gone deeper than words yet? Maybe you can, but I don't see it.

I think the way you view Jason depends on the importance you place on different head coach skills. Here's how I'd grade it:

Tone Setting / High Level Team Strategy: A+
Talent Development / Player Evaluation: A-/B+ (but still incomplete)
Team Discipline: C-
Gameday Management: D
(Offensive Playcalling): C

The people who love Jason simply seem to think the high-level strategy and tone-setting is the most important. I can see their point. Others are a little more details-oriented in their assessment and focus on Jason's faults from last years in gameday situations.

For my part, I'm hopeful that Callahan will give Jason some leverage on game management, and I'm hopeful that a full off-season of system installation will keep Jason from having to worry about defensive assignments and mistakes on that side of the ball.

If he can get that leverage, there's no reason Garrett can't fulfill his incredible potential.

Questfor6

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556822 said:
So you can say with 100% certainty they wouldn't have made it far in the playoffs?

I'll never say that. I've seen too much happen. Did you think people expected the Giants to beat the undefeated Patriots? To win the Superbowl last year? Not many people would have predicted they'd win other than Giants fans.

Yea I can say with 100% certainty they wouldn't have made it far in the playoffs b/c Julio Jones & Roddy White would of ran laps around our secondary in the wild card game. If we would have won GB would have wiped us of the map with their aerial attack.

I'd say a lot people believed the Giants could win both games they had way more playmaker difference makers on their Offense (Cruz, Nicks, & Manning) & Defense (D Line) then we had last season. The proof is in the pudding they beat us twice last year, alongwith the Eagles. When your 2-4 in your division you don't deserve to make the playoffs, sorry.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555646 said:
Last season was the worst coaching job I've seen in a decade, in college or pro, by any team I'm a fan of.

Will Garrett be as awful this year as he was the last?

I am predicting 10-6 and 1 playoff win so I believe Garrett will be better this year. Now if I am wrong and we fail to make the playoffs for the 3rd straight year (2.5 of those years with Garrett as HC), then I think he moves into the hot seat and his long term future here would very much be in doubt.

Bottom line......Garrett will be judged off his win-loss record, just like everybody else.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Tom Landry....

audience.gif

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Shinywalrus;4557456 said:
I'm a little confused at why the original post is so controversial. If most people seem to agree that Garrett should get a "B-" for 2011, it seems pretty obvious that we're going to have some people in the very positive camp and some people in the very negative camp.

Not everyone can be objective about things. We are talking about people who live in Texans, outside of Austin. I keeed. In any case, I find a lot of our fans to be a little sensitive and fragile about some things.

I think it depends on what matters to you.

What's this? A discussion? Should I take my shoes off at the door? No taking pictures of the Garrett shrine?

I think that Garrett has a lot of "right-sounding" ideas that resonate with people, and for good reason. Having the "right kind" of people creates a foundation of stability, of mistake-free, if not necessarily excellent football. When that's the foundation, when that's the culture you've built, you can start layering on raw talent that is forced to live within that culture. It's not an easy game to play, but Garrett certainly seems to be working toward it. If he gets a chance (from Jerry, from the fans, from the media), I think that he has a very high likelihood of being successful.

Like I was saying before, there are a lot of people doing what Garrett is doing. The sort of attitude is almost cliche'. He's not doing anything revolutionary, imo.

But I'm not sure how anyone can look at 2011 and conclude that Jason wasn't overwhelmed by the sum total of his more "tactical" duties. It's hard to be objective about this, but anecdotally I absolutely felt that our play-calling became very stale and very predictable. I felt that game management on a number of occasions was extremely poor. Opinions on these things can vary, but in my opinion, Jason was well below average in this category in 2011.

I agree. To me that's a big deal. Some play calling was good, some of it was bad. That goes with any coach. Garrett just seemed to have a knack for calling the wrong play at the wrong time.

The other problem is that the culture that Jason is preaching hasn't yet really made its way through the organization. It's hard to blame him - this kind of thing takes time, it takes roster churn and it takes Jerry taking a back seat at times. But can we look at the penalties, the boneheaded execution mistakes and say that the "RKG" philosophy has gone deeper than words yet? Maybe you can, but I don't see it.

I don't think his talk has translated on the field. I think it makes it even harder when your team is trying to be the cut man and keep the coach from being knocked out. Then you go and and punch the cut man by icing your kicker. I'll see believe it when I see it.

I think the way you view Jason depends on the importance you place on different head coach skills. Here's how I'd grade it:

Tone Setting / High Level Team Strategy: A+
Talent Development / Player Evaluation: A-/B+ (but still incomplete)
Team Discipline: C-
Gameday Management: D
(Offensive Playcalling): C

That's an interesting break down.

The people who love Jason simply seem to think the high-level strategy and tone-setting is the most important. I can see their point. Others are a little more details-oriented in their assessment and focus on Jason's faults from last years in gameday situations.

I think Garrett outthinks his own self at times. His duties may have him distracted. So hopefully he can delegate some of it to other more qualified people.

For my part, I'm hopeful that Callahan will give Jason some leverage on game management, and I'm hopeful that a full off-season of system installation will keep Jason from having to worry about defensive assignments and mistakes on that side of the ball.

If he can get that leverage, there's no reason Garrett can't fulfill his incredible potential.

I agree. He has the potential to be a good coach. I don't think he'll get a long time to prove this. My guess is maybe another year. If he pulls a Wade Phillips maybe half a year.

I don't think he has more than one year before he's fired if he doesn't take the team to the playoffs.

And Callahan should help the team.