How bad will Garrett be this year?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Garrett was as good a head coach last year as he was an offensive coordinator the past several years.

Fortunately, (as Dan Marino has stated) coaching is overrated.

Even though Garrett acted like a bumbling idiot at times last year, it was still the players who came up short too many times.

The peices are in place for the Cowboys to be a good team this year. I expect Garrett will somewhat "grow" into the position of head coach and not be as bad. Even if he doesn't, the team should be good enough to overcome his mistakes. Romo should be thoroughly experienced enough now to ignore any stupid playcalls from Garrett like in the Detroit game.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Afigueroa22;4555678 said:
I agree, look at what Harbaugh did with San Fran.

Harbaugh had HC experience previous to last season

CowboyMcCoy;4555671 said:
1)Detroit--Romo has broken ribs. Garrett calls pass one too many times. Romo airs it out while likely on pain medication and, viola, a toss to Bobby Carpenter to blow the biggest lead ever blown in Cowboy's history.

That's quite an accomplishment.

2) New England--Garrett calls 3 straight run plays and gives the ball back to Brady

3)Cardinals--Time out. Need I say more?

We should have made the playoffs last year. The only real reason we didn't is because we don't have a real coach. I seriously don't think this guy is cut out for head coaching duties.

are you smart enough to admit that in each of these situations had the players involved executed their assignments it would have led to a win in all 3 games?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
rodd94;4555681 said:
Years of history. And they cheery types who can't see bigger picture. whether people like it or not Dallas are AT BEST and 8-8 team. Last 2 years WITH MOST OF CORE OF THIS TEAM 6-10 & 8-8.

cheery types? LOL so what you are saying is that people who actually enjoy the game of football for what it is and root for a team, that does actually play against teams that have their own fans who are rooting for them, are missing out on the big picture huh?

no, I think you are just at the wrong gallery.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555686 said:
I wonder what you were watching during our season last year if this is seriously the extent of substantive commentary you're able to provide pertaining to the actual topic.

Garrett was bad. That's no ad hominem on him. That's a fact. He'd probably tell you the same thing.

The bottom line is last season was a failure that didn't have to be a failure.

Paint a pretty picture of it if you'd like.

I'm rooting for him to do better, but I don't see any reason I should think he won't squander another 3 wins.

opinion noted... next

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Zaxor;4555832 said:
from what Romo and Garrett has said each play comes with a pass/run option depending upon the defense...

some defenses will look like they are selling out against a run and at the snap jump into pass protection sometimes its the other way around...you realize the other teams are paying there players too and drafting them from the same draft the Cowboys are and that they are paying there coaches too...

It is pretty disingenuous to think that someone is going to get it right 100% of the time...

I think you need a reassessment of your expectations...did Paul Brown call a wrong play did Tom Landry did Lombardi...did hoodie

unless you can come up with something better than suspect calls imho this was a worthless post only meant to incite because it has no basis in fact/reality.

:bravo:

Flinger

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555646 said:
Last season was the worst coaching job I've seen in a decade, in college or pro, by any team I'm a fan of.

Will Garrett be as awful this year as he was the last?
That really depends on how perfect you expect him to be...

Do us a favor - write a job description for the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys and let us know the full responsibilities that come with the job. Then, rate him on those responsibilities.

Has he done a terrible job in acquiring Free Agents? How about Drafting players? How about changing the culture? How about identifying talent? How about hiring / firing players, coaches, assistants, conditioning staff, etc? How about raising the overall work ethic? How about media relations? How about managing the owner and his son's expectations? How about game planning?

Oh - all of that is before one ever gets to a hand full of calls during a couple of games where the players didn't or couldn't execute.

So, again, how perfect to you expect him to be?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
The worse coaching Job was the Poodle as HC in Dallas Cowboys football

:lmao2:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Flinger;4555859 said:

Do us a favor - write a job description for the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys and let us know the full responsibilities that come with the job. Then, rate him on those responsibilities.

Has he done a terrible job in acquiring Free Agents? How about Drafting players? How about changing the culture? How about identifying talent? How about hiring / firing players, coaches, assistants, conditioning staff, etc? How about raising the overall work ethic? How about media relations? How about managing the owner and his son's expectations? How about game planning?

Oh - all of that is before one ever gets to a hand full of calls during a couple of games where the players didn't or couldn't execute.

well said I just wish people would hold themselves to the same standard they are willing to hold others...

If the game plan was constantly wrong I could understand but to make such fuss over a few plays just shows...well...we don't need to say it we know what it shows.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4555746 said:
Apparently not. The last coach we had, or really the last two coaches we had, got ripped all the time.

But they weren't the golden boys in the family portrait, so it was okay, even encouraged, to rip them. This one? Nope, he's pretty much hands off.

The fact is, last year was full of literally historic collapses, and any coach presiding over that would get criticized. Yet all you hear about RJ is "full offseason" or "wrong players" or "process". What's he done to earn special treatment? It sure isn't the track record.

I agree. And if you try to have a civil conversation about Garrett not being up to par on CZ then, by golly, we'll rate it one star because it isn't popular around here to call a spade a spade, especially one in the family portrait.

You're right, my friend. I guess we could always go back to the old twitter-like boards to keep it real.

:starspin

Seriously, no matter how good we are talent-wise, we still have a sub par coach....

Is that the popular thing to say on here? No, it isn't. But it's the danged truth even if the ostriches want to bury their head in the proverbial sand.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Flinger;4555859 said:

...and if on that job description I put, "close out wins", he'd fail to qualify or meet the criteria. And would be closing out 2 or even 3 of those botched games be too much to ask?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Flinger;4555859 said:

Like the mad genius Hoodie oh wait he had 12 men on the field that negated a Fumble in the SuperBowl.

CoCo

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555872 said:
...and if on that job description I put, "close out wins", he'd fail to qualify or meet the criteria. And would be closing out 2 or even 3 of those botched games be too much to ask?

So Garrett as HC can't win the close ones?

Hmmm, might want to check your facts on that one.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Flinger;4555859 said:

Great post.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I've had some serious doubts about Garrett's play calling tendencies, but absolutely love him as a head coach. The nature of this thread is pretty lame.

CoCo

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555865 said:
I agree. And if you try to have a civil conversation about Garrett not being up to par on CZ then, by golly, we'll rate it one star because it isn't popular around here to call a spade a spade, especially one in the family portrait.

You're right, my friend. I guess we could always go back to the old twitter-like boards to keep it real.

:starspin

Seriously, no matter how good we are talent-wise, we still have a sub par coach....

Is that the popular thing to say on here? No, it isn't. But it's the danged truth even if the ostriches want to bury their head in the proverbial sand.

The civility tone you set has, worst case, been matched in this thread. If you think folks haven't been civil, perhaps your opening volley could have been a bit more reflective instead of laced with hyperbole.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Eskimo;4555764 said:
1. Romo wasn't taking pain meds but he was taking a nerve block in the ribs prior to the games. Romo was playing well and making enough good decisions to put us in the lead that day. Carpenter made a good play on an ill-advised throw and we probably didn't need to be running that deep in our own end with a 3 TD lead so I'll concede the point to some degree. However, at that time in the year we could not run the ball consistently and our defense is not good enough to defend against a powerhouse offense with a whole run of 3 and outs from the offense. We probably needed to keep throwing but Romo needed to make better decisions in that game understanding the circumstances.

2. Now at the end of the NE game Garrett appropriately ran the first 2 times but lost 3 yards and got a penalty making it 3rd and 18 if I remember correctly. It is very hard to convert a 3rd and 12+ yards - moreso if you are on the road, have a QB with bad ribs and your top 2 WRs are dinged up and you just lost your #1 RB. You have an injured QB playing behind a young and inexperienced OL against a team that won 14 games the year before and was on their way to another SB appearance. You also have your star QB coming off a game where he was crucified by the media for 3 INTs in the second half.

I really think Garrett had no choice but to run a low-risk play on 3rd down there. I don't really disagree with running it on first and second down to take a bit of time off the clock but ideally you would be in 3rd and 5 and not 3rd and 15.

At that time in Garrett's and Romo's career I really can't fault the playcalling but it was a matter of poor blocking from the OL.

The defense could have still held them and had a whole field to defend which they couldn't do.

3. In the Cardinals game he should have tried to get more yards there but got too conservative given the amount of time left in the game. 5-10 more yards makes for an easier FG for Bailey. I think the decision was wrong.

In the end, I think Garrett's biggest problem all season was a very inconsistent OL that gave up a lot of sacks, hits and pressures. Our whole gameplan seemed to be set around getting the ball out of Romo's hands before something bad happened and these tendencies actually allowed defenses to get very aggressive against us knowing this.

You have to remember we had a spurt where we played well with Murray running the ball behind Fiammetta. In that stretch we saw what the offense could do with blocking - Murray was averaging 6 ypc and Romo was tearing defenses apart now that he could pass against defenses afraid of the run. This is the way our offense is supposed to run and can't operate properly with an OL that isn't opening up holes consistently and can't pass block for 3 seconds consistently.

Now you can blame Garrett for not doing a better job patching the OL but you have to also remember we had a bunch of declining overpaid vets who weren't playing much better in 2010. We also had very little cap space because of all those overpaid vets and we had to carry money over into this season to deal with all the dead cap money that cutting said vets was going to impose on the 2012 salary cap. I think we ended up with about 23M dead cap and carried forward around 16M of unused space to have a net loss of 7M for the year plus the 5M league penalty which made us play this year at 12M down. If Garrett didn't play shorthanded last year we would have had a cap deficit of 28M this year. So Garrett took most of the hit in the rebuilding year so he could play with a better cap situation in the year when we had a better chance of winning which speaks to good discipline and long-term planning.

When I look at this team I think it is our most complete roster top to bottom since 1995. We are super-weak at any position outside of Center. We have good prospects almost everywhere now for the future except QB and TE where we happen to have Pro Bowlers and an excellent backup QB. All the malcontents have now been eliminated from the roster and there is no sign of cancer recurrence at this stage after another offseason. Jerry managed to control his wallet and the investments we made were fairly sound and despite the calls from the media and fans he didn't over-react to the weak interior OL as he always would have done in the past. He kept his focus on the overall team and most good teams cannot spend a fortune at interior OL without then losing players elsewhere. Garrett convinced Jones to invest in underrated interior OL who Callahan can patch together into a functional unit without breaking the bank and without putting in progress stoppers in front of some promising kids we brought in last year.

So overall I like what we had done pesonnel-wise.

In terms of coaching, he brought in an OC, thankfully. He really needed one last year and was spreading himself too thin leading to bad decisions like in the Cards game you alluded to. He got rid of our worst asst. coach Campo and brought in a very good DB coach who will try to fix the weakest unit on the team. This guy did a great job in Cleveland and is familiar with Ryan so I am expecting good things. He brought in Callahan to be OL coach and he is known for doing an excellent job on the OL and at OC but he is just a bad head coach. I think Callahan will do a great job for us, too.

In terms of team governance, I think he has put together a good group of guys. I think he has brought in some kids who will be good leaders for the future like Sean Lee and Dan Connor. All the troublemakers are gone so I expect a strong lockerroom this year.

I am very hopeful about this team. I do agree there were some questionable moments from last year, especially the Cards game. However, I also saw a lot of good decisions in the background that have put is in a good position to succeed this year. I also see evidence of a coach who looks at his flaws and then tries to correct them instead of denying them. I think this approach won him some converts in the lockerroom and this is firmly his team now whereas I thought he was having some trouble getting buy in from the defense early last year.

I look forward to a good year. I think we can contend for a playoff spot with this roster but the Eagles and Giants will both be very strong and the schedule is difficult. I think the offense will be a juggernaut and the defense can be a top 5-10 unit. I am hoping for 10-11 wins.

So to answer the question, yes I think Garrett will be better this year. No I don't think he put up the worst coaching job in history last year. I would say it was a mediocre year and grade him a B- overall.

Hey, I agree we are the most complete team since 1995. I really do believe that premise of your argument. But that's also a good reason why I think Garrett was a terrible coach last year... he had all the tools to succeed, too. It wasn't like he was given a bad hand or something.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
rodd94;4555687 said:
I've read on here on several threads that Dallas have already WON this seasons Superbowl.

Link? ...... Or are you also full of crap?

Wimbo

Reaction score
zrinkill;4555884 said:
Link? ...... Or are you also full of crap?

51X%2BryY7UUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg