How bad will Garrett be this year?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4555789 said:
I think if you look at many coaches they have gone through ups and downs. Hell Sean Payton had play calling taken from him in NY, I'm sure his critics did not think he was much of a HC but he proved a lot of his critics wrong and funny thing is many of the critics would not know the 1st thing about coaching. Bottom line comes down to winning and losing, if the team fails to improve then his time as HC will be limited
Heck look at Reids boneheaded decisions with his backfired gimmick plays that never works...he's been getting a free pass for what 13 years?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555706 said:
What mindset are you speaking of? That of a loser? That of someone who cost their team three games?

The mindset that people who actually know the game recognize.

Not people who start threads because they need some negative attention.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4555784 said:
postturtle1.jpg

:lmao:

/thread

sago1

Reaction score
I think most Cowboy fans realize that in the role of HC Garrett made some mistakes last season which cost us 1-2 games. Frankly, I'd like to see him bring in an experienced OC who could devote his full attention to the offense while Garrett sees to the running of the whole team. But Garrett won't do that--at least for now. He's a smart guy w/an ego & fully aware fans/media know he messed up.

This is Garrett's first full offseason as HC so hopefully he can get things in gear on both sides of the ball and as the HC/OC. Hopefully Callahan's arrival improves the offense not only our OL but in recommendations which might help Garrett.

Frankly I'm rooting for Garrett to win big this year cause Cowboys won't ever get back to the SB if we continue to turn over HCs every 3 years or so. Do you realize since Jimmy left/fired in spring of 94, Jerry has hired 6 HC (Switzer/Gailey/Campo/Parcells/Wade/Garrett) & fired 5 of them in 18 years?
Only the Commanders probably have worse record in that space of time--although Raiders probably even worse record.

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
People learn from their mistakes.

I'm laughing at anybody who thinks he hasn't learned anything and won't improve.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555646 said:
Last season was the worst coaching job I've seen in a decade, in college or pro, by any team I'm a fan of.

Will Garrett be as awful this year as he was the last?

I think Garrett will apply what he has learned and do much better this year.

Hey, he already learned that he needs help coordinating the offense so he is willing.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CoCo;4555773 said:
I really like your football observations CL. But when it comes to Garrett your opinions tend to slant negatively.
Yes they do, because I'm honest enough to go on what my eyes see, not on what the crowd says I'm supposed to see. Sorry if I'm not too happy about our coach making game-losing mistakes learning on the job while players like Romo are in their primes.

You said there shouldn't be a groundswell of anti-Garrett feeling. Well, you got your wish, because there's anything but. In fact, there's just the opposite -- you can't even question him without being called a troll.

Again I ask, why does he deserve this benefit of the doubt that other guys haven't gotten? Again, it usually comes down to utterly insignificant items like Ivy League degrees, toastmaster-approved PCs, and carrying Troy's clipboard.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4555817 said:
Yes they do, because I'm honest enough to go on what my eyes see, not on what the crowd says I'm supposed to see.

You said there shouldn't be a groundswell of anti-Garrett feeling. Well, you got your wish, because there's anything but. In fact, there's just the opposite -- you can't even question him without being called a troll.

Again I ask, why does he deserve this benefit of the doubt that other guys haven't gotten? Again, it usually comes down to utterly insignificant items like Ivy League degrees, toastmaster-approved PCs, and carrying Troy's clipboard.

to be fair, there's questioning him, and there's saying "how bad will he be" and running to the corner to giggle at the troll bomb you just threw in the room.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555743 said:
I'm able to take the heat for unpopular opinions. I'm not going to sugar coat something for the sake of it. And I wasn't expecting any sympathy. I feel a bit for you for thinking Garrett is a good coach at this point though.

I haven't told you what I think except the whining part.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am going to give Garrett the benefit of the doubt on those decisions but I want the coach to be positive and trust his team.I can take the detroit decisions but not the sissy NE decisions.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
iceberg;4555820 said:
to be fair, there's questioning him, and there's saying "how bad will he be" and running to the corner to giggle at the troll bomb you just threw in the room.

There is also a way of gently looking at the positive said and the good he has brought to the team in only 1 1/2 seasons as a head coach and the marked improvement from his half season to the next.

It's essentially the same as evaluation a player to me -- year three is where I expect the noticeable strides. Anything before that is steller. Jim Harbaugh (I only bring him up because the comparison was already made) had head coaching experience before, albeit at the college level so while his job last season was admirable and commendable it really is a little too early to compare their careers. It really is a little too early to compare Garrett to anyone.

I expect Garrett to be one of the best coaches in the game at some point. I would rather he be here through his growing pains then see him leave and be the next Belichick or Payton somewhere else.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555671 said:
1)Detroit--Romo has broken ribs. Garrett calls pass one too many times. Romo airs it out while likely on pain medication and, viola, a toss to Bobby Carpenter to blow the biggest lead ever blown in Cowboy's history.

That's quite an accomplishment.

2) New England--Garrett calls 3 straight run plays and gives the ball back to Brady

3)Cardinals--Time out. Need I say more?

We should have made the playoffs last year. The only real reason we didn't is because we don't have a real coach. I seriously don't think this guy is cut out for head coaching duties.

from what Romo and Garrett has said each play comes with a pass/run option depending upon the defense...

some defenses will look like they are selling out against a run and at the snap jump into pass protection sometimes its the other way around...you realize the other teams are paying there players too and drafting them from the same draft the Cowboys are and that they are paying there coaches too...

It is pretty disingenuous to think that someone is going to get it right 100% of the time...

I think you need a reassessment of your expectations...did Paul Brown call a wrong play did Tom Landry did Lombardi...did hoodie

unless you can come up with something better than suspect calls imho this was a worthless post only meant to incite because it has no basis in fact/reality.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
I love Garrett, what he's done, and the direction that he's leading this team. However, anyone who says he WAS NOT terrible last season, REALLY needs to remove the ginger-colored glasses. He was bad. The reason I think Garrett will ultimately be succesfull is that he strikes me as the type of guy who can be objective about his mistakes, and LEARN from them. This season we'll see if Ginger's LEARNED from his mistakes. If he hasn't, then maybe he's not what people here think of him.

1fisher

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555671 said:
1)Detroit--Romo has broken ribs. Garrett calls pass one too many times. Romo airs it out while likely on pain medication and, viola, a toss to Bobby Carpenter to blow the biggest lead ever blown in Cowboy's history.

That's quite an accomplishment.

2) New England--Garrett calls 3 straight run plays and gives the ball back to Brady

3)Cardinals--Time out. Need I say more?

We should have made the playoffs last year. The only real reason we didn't is because we don't have a real coach. I seriously don't think this guy is cut out for head coaching duties.

:facepalm: