How bad will Garrett be this year?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
ThreeandOut;4555936 said:
So both of your teams finished in the bottom half of the conference and you're upset with Garrett? You should be more upset with Mack Brown. He can get any recruit that he wants; he should never be in the bottom half of the conference.

I've seen enough of him to be happy. I need a reason to believe. It's a rebuilding year for Texas anyway. I sort of knew that going into the year.

CoCo

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555914 said:
So he's done a good job by your standards, eh?

I'm sorry if my standards for a coach are a bit different. CL asked a legitimate question, you want to make a revelation and then go hide under a rock and keep poking in and out of the conversation when it suits you or your ego (like someone else I know), go ahead. Evade the conversation now because my diction offended you. That's also your Modus Operandi.

In any case, maybe I should start a new thread and compare him to Landry as if I'm in some fantasy land from the past where Jason Garrett is actually Tom Landry.

What are we, ten years old?

You'd think that were actually the case the case by the way fans speak of Garrett. And we just blew the biggest potential season we've had in a while....

Crickets.

We've become too passive in our old age.

smh...

Your diction didn't "offend" me. It's your ridiculous claims that undercut you. And I've done nothing to avoid any of this conversation. Until now...

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I guess I should be holding my breath for a rebuttal to my argument CowboyMcCoy....

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CoCo;4555945 said:
smh...

Your diction didn't "offend" me. It's your ridiculous claims that undercut you. And I've done nothing to avoid any of this conversation. Until now...

You said, "Peace". I thought you were saying you were leaving. But come back anytime.

I miss our discussions.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
ajk23az;4555949 said:
I guess I should be holding my breath for a rebuttal to my argument CowboyMcCoy....

I'll read it. I haven't gotten through the entire thread yet. I was at the bank for a while...long line.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
kmd24;4555934 said:
FWIW, the 4th quarter lead was 13.

Sorry, you're right about that. It was a 24 point second half lead.

And Coco, it's hard not to "cherry pick" a few games lost when your're talking about a 16 game season. Only one of those and we make the playoffs.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4555789 said:
I think if you look at many coaches they have gone through ups and downs. Hell Sean Payton had play calling taken from him in NY, I'm sure his critics did not think he was much of a HC but he proved a lot of his critics wrong and funny thing is many of the critics would not know the 1st thing about coaching. Bottom line comes down to winning and losing, if the team fails to improve then his time as HC will be limited

I always thought Payton had the "it" factor when it came to coaching. He just has a football attitude.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555953 said:
I'll read it. I haven't gotten through the entire thread yet. I was at the bank for a while...long line.

Being that you responded to about 5 other posts after mine, thats a pretty good excuse. Especially after you called me out for not posting an argument.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4555956 said:

And Coco, it's hard not to "cherry pick" a few games lost when your're talking about a 16 game season. Only one of those and we make the playoffs.

And maybe we have a 6th ring on our pinky or something--nowhere else to put 'em.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
texbumthelife;4555828 said:
There is also a way of gently looking at the positive said and the good he has brought to the team in only 1 1/2 seasons as a head coach and the marked improvement from his half season to the next.

It's essentially the same as evaluation a player to me -- year three is where I expect the noticeable strides. Anything before that is steller. Jim Harbaugh (I only bring him up because the comparison was already made) had head coaching experience before, albeit at the college level so while his job last season was admirable and commendable it really is a little too early to compare their careers. It really is a little too early to compare Garrett to anyone.

I expect Garrett to be one of the best coaches in the game at some point. I would rather he be here through his growing pains then see him leave and be the next Belichick or Payton somewhere else.

Good post.

I can see your point.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
zrinkill;4555799 said:
The mindset that people who actually know the game recognize.

Not people who start threads because they need some negative attention.

It was a rhetorical question. The implication was the mindset of a loser...

Carry on trolling.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
ajk23az;4555949 said:

As promised, I said I'd get to it....

ajk23az;4555912 said:
Jason Garrett, first 1.5 years --- 13-11 ..... .542%

Sean Payton, first 3 years --- 25-23 ...... .520% .........awesome after 3 years

Mike McCarthy, first 3 years --- 27-21 ...... .562% ........awesome after 3 years

My point being, coaches need time to place their mark on teams. Your expecting Garrett to do it in half the time as other great coaches have done. Go cry somewhere else.

That's a good point. But how many times did Payton ice his own kicker?

How many franchise record leads did he blow?

Bear in mind, only one of those and you get in...

Point taken, which is why it's really an open ended question I'm asking. You can say he isn't bad and be intelligent, like you've done. Or we can get all feminine about it and call it hyperbole because it doesn't line up with our opinion.

You make a good point, actually.

CoCo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4555956 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but beating the Lions, Pats or Cards would NOT have gotten us in as we'd lose the 9-7 tie-breaker the to NYG (2-0).

Holding that Q4 lead versus NY - that would've done it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'll never forget them showing Jerry up in his box with time running out against the Giants begging for "Jason" to call a timeout just the week after he screwed up in Arizona.

Everyone was yelling time out and Jason was just letting the clock run.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555958 said:
I always thought Payton had the "it" factor when it came to coaching. He just has a football attitude.

Oh the IT factor the thing no one can explain but once it works you knew it all along? :laugh2:

I have watched many coaches come under fire and then praised later on. I have no issues with anyone having doubts or having a wait and see for any coach but it seems you give no hope in Garrett.

Did he make questionable calls? sure so does every other coach out there, Belicheck went for it on a 4th an 1 from his own 30 pretty much handing the game to Indy when they failed to convert.

Questionable calls will happen no matter what coach you name. In the end it all comes down to one simple thing winning and losing. If Garrett can't show progress quick enough then like any HC his job is in jeopardy. If he wins people will sing his praise. I think Garrett has a lot to prove as a fan I'll give him the time to prove it.

CoCo

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555980 said:
As promised, I said I'd get to it....

That's a good point. But how many times did Payton ice his own kicker?

How many franchise record leads did he blow?

Bear in mind, only one of those and you get in...

Point taken, which is why it's really an open ended question I'm asking. You can say he isn't bad and be intelligent, like you've done. Or we can get all feminine about it and call it hyperbole because it doesn't line up with our opinion.

You make a good point, actually.

But it's not "getting feminine" when you whine "you can't even question Garrett."

Geez Ben...

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CIWhitefish;4555705 said:
Ah a post worded purposely to get the type of reaction it's gotten. Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands....

That could also have something to do with the fact you live in Iowa, Napoleon.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Simple question. You hire a HC how much time do you give him? For me you hire a HC you give him 3 years after that time you evaluate the progress or lack of progress. Based on that you stick with him if things are moving in the direction you want if not you fire him and start over again