How bad will Garrett be this year?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4555910 said:
Okay, call his post a slam, then. Why can't he be slammed? Did you defend all our other coaches the same way? Because they got slammed, too.

And I've never said Garrett was some horrible coach. Ever. All I've ever said is that I don't see these genius/special qualities that so many claim to see. What I see is an extremely green coach who isn't above reproach. And that those other peripherals mean nothing to me, because they don't make you a good coach.

And I'm pretty sure my eyes really saw this last season and didn't dream it up.

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a361/ChocolateLab/12_11_2011_22_57_17.jpg

Ouch. That hurts me even. Has to hurt for Garrett.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
From the beginning, I was not a fan of Garrett. I thought/think he is in over his head and not ready to coach america's team.

With that said, others and I owe him this next season to show what mark he has placed on this team. I like the direction they are heading and I can only hope that translates onto the field.

Now, if after this years games he continues to make bone-headed mistakes as per last season, the Cowboys head coaching position needs to be seriously looked at. I can deal with an 8-8 record as long as the team left it on the field, but not if our HC gives games away because of questionable decisions.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
zrinkill;4556001 said:
Your expertise.
Rubber and glue again, huh?

Which is what this whole thread is about.

So if it's the whole thread, then you mean everyone in it--even you?

You're not really this foolish, are you?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4556006 said:
Simple question. You hire a HC how much time do you give him? For me you hire a HC you give him 3 years after that time you evaluate the progress or lack of progress. Based on that you stick with him if things are moving in the direction you want if not you fire him and start over again

Good question. Maybe expectations wouldn't be so high if everyone wouldn't have promised the 2nd coming of Jimmy Johnson or Tom Landry...

I wish he were better than both, because Lord do we have some talent this year.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556019 said:
Rubber and glue again, huh?

So if it's the whole thread, then you mean everyone in it--even you?

You're not really this foolish, are you?

glad to see you're still not baiting people.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dexternjack;4556015 said:
From the beginning, I was not a fan of Garrett. I thought/think he is in over his head and not ready to coach america's team.

With that said, others and I owe him this next season to show what mark he has placed on this team. I like the direction they are heading and I can only hope that translates onto the field.

Now, if after this years games he continues to make bone-headed mistakes as per last season, the Cowboys head coaching position needs to be seriously looked at. I can deal with an 8-8 record as long as the team left it on the field, but not if our HC gives games away because of questionable decisions.

I came in with a show me attitude when it came to Garrett. All I care about is results. Not defending some chump coach or QB. I've done that for too many years now and im ready to start getting positive results again.

After year 1 I didn't see anything that was really different from past seasons.

I know the team practiced harder and did things "the right way" but it still translated into a lot of dumb football from the head coach to the players.

I'm feeling better about the team this year. I'm a lot more optimistic right now than I was this time a year ago. Hopefully we find something out this season instead of debating if Garrett can coach or not.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555671 said:
1)Detroit--Romo has broken ribs. Garrett calls pass one too many times. Romo airs it out while likely on pain medication and, viola, a toss to Bobby Carpenter to blow the biggest lead ever blown in Cowboy's history.

That's quite an accomplishment.

2) New England--Garrett calls 3 straight run plays and gives the ball back to Brady

3)Cardinals--Time out. Need I say more?

We should have made the playoffs last year. The only real reason we didn't is because we don't have a real coach. I seriously don't think this guy is cut out for head coaching duties.

1) I could see running the ball more at the end but this was back when Costa and Nagy really couldn't get any push up the middle. I can hardly find fault with going to your star QB anyway. That meltdown was all Romo and I think that Garrett would have only made things worse to bench him.

2) You hate it when he doesn't run and now you hate it when he does run. Our defense had been playing well up to that point. The smoke and mirrors just ran out and we saw that the Walker's and James' of the world cannot cover.

3) No doubt that he should have called timeout immediately or not at all.

Now all of that being said, those teams were in position to win each of those games and in no small part to Garretts work. I just see some growing pains which should be expected.

And he certainly does not hold a candle to what McDaniels did in Denver a few years back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556021 said:
Good question. Maybe expectations wouldn't be so high if everyone wouldn't have promised the 2nd coming of Jimmy Johnson or Tom Landry...

I wish he were better than both, because Lord do we have some talent this year.

So your expectations are based on other peoples promises? Garrett is not the second coming of Jimmy or Tom or Campo. He will be judged on his own merits not what someone else did.

I think any time you hire a HC you give him a legit chance to come in and puts his stamp on the team in my book that is 3 years and based on the direction the team is moving you stay with him or you fire but you judge him on how he did not how any former coach did or some coach on another team did.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CATCH17;4556025 said:
I came in with a show me attitude when it came to Garrett. All I care about is results. Not defending some chump coach or QB. I've done that for too many years now and im ready to start getting positive results again.

After year 1 I didn't see anything that was really different from past seasons.

I know the team practiced harder and did things "the right way" but it still translated into a lot of dumb football from the head coach to the players.

I'm feeling better about the team this year. I'm a lot more optimistic right now than I was this time a year ago. Hopefully we find something out this season instead of debating if Garrett can coach or not.

We were good last year with the potential to be great. If we're not great, someone isn't getting the full potential out of this team.

I have huge expectations because of where we're at talent wise. I want to see it translate to the bottom line--a Super Bowl win.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4555671 said:
1)Detroit--Romo has broken ribs. Garrett calls pass one too many times. Romo airs it out while likely on pain medication and, viola, a toss to Bobby Carpenter to blow the biggest lead ever blown in Cowboy's history.

To be accurate, Garrett calls pass TWO too many times. Had he not dialed up a pass play, Romo wouldn't have broken his ribs to begin with. That treasonous ginger. :laugh2:

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
cowboys2233;4556043 said:
To be accurate, Garrett calls pass TWO too many times. Had he not dialed up a pass play, Romo wouldn't have broken his ribs to begin with. That treasonous ginger. :laugh2:

I seriously lost my breath after reading the bolded part. :lmao2:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Putting losing double digit leads onto Jason Garrett is ********. We could not run the ball because of our interior line. DTs were consistently in the backfield and LBers could run free. Because of that, we could not control the clock.

Also when the opponent is behind they have to score points to get the ball back.

I don't blame Garrett or Ryan for that.

I blame Costa, Nagy, Kosier, Phillips, Choice, James, Newman, Walker, Ball, Brooking and Elam for that.

There was no magic coach em up powder that was going to get these guys to play well.

JBS

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556042 said:
We were good last year with the potential to be great. If we're not great, someone isn't getting the full potential out of this team.

I have huge expectations because of where we're at talent wise. I want to see it translate to the bottom line--a Super Bowl win.

You overrate the **** out of our talent

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4556042 said:

See my expectations aren't even that high. Of Course I want Superbowls but it's to the point where i'd just be happy with advancing to the NFC Championship.

Last year was terrible. We let the Giants off the hook after Romo delievered a kill shot to Dez at Cowboys Stadium. Then they go on to win the Superbowl. No excuse for that.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;4556030 said:
1) I could see running the ball more at the end but this was back when Costa and Nagy really couldn't get any push up the middle. I can hardly find fault with going to your star QB anyway. That meltdown was all Romo and I think that Garrett would have only made things worse to bench him.

Romo should've never thrown that ball. He had no business heaving it downfield on that play. The WRs were way past the first down marker and Romo had a bad rib. When you throw with a bad rib, your body recoils from pain.... that effects throwing. It was a bad time to call a LONG pass play given he had broken ribs...

2) You hate it when he doesn't run and now you hate it when he does run. Our defense had been playing well up to that point. The smoke and mirrors just ran out and we saw that the Walker's and James' of the world cannot cover.

At least someone knows I don't like the way he calls the run game. You're right. Garrett's play calling last year, at times, had me scratching my head. I don't think I'm the only person on this board who would question his consistency with play calling.

3) No doubt that he should have called timeout immediately or not at all.

Now all of that being said, those teams were in position to win each of those games and in no small part to Garretts work. I just see some growing pains which should be expected.

And he certainly does not hold a candle to what McDaniels did in Denver a few years back.

OK. Are you expecting more growing pains to keep us out of the playoffs? Are you content with everything if "growing pains" is the only thing that keeps us out of the playoffs again? If so, how long are you willing to accept that?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CATCH17;4556052 said:
See my expectations aren't even that high. Of Course I want Superbowls but it's to the point where i'd just be happy with advancing to the NFC Championship.

Last year was terrible. We let the Giants off the hook after Romo delievered a kill shot to Dez at Cowboys Stadium. Then they go on to win the Superbowl. No excuse for that.

Bingo.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ahh, I should have realized this was a semi-flippant trolljob. You must be feeling well.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;4556058 said:
Ahh, I should have realized this was a semi-flippant trolljob. You must be feeling well.

To what are you referring?